Author Topic: Is this the best Giants' defense in your lifetime?  (Read 1085 times)

gregf

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the best Giants' defense in your lifetime?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
More recent defenses had players that could singly take over a game. Strahan, Osi, Armstead, Sehorn, Tuck.
JPP in year 2 looked like that player, but not since. JPP and Vernon are very good, but I don't see dominant yet. Collins is close, Snacks too. We lack an impact linebacker as well.
This is a very good defense, definitely top 5 in league. Hopefully there isn't all the pressure on them this year and the offense helps.
This is probably the best secondary we ever fielded and as good a run stopping D line. The pass rush and linebacker play keep it from being elite

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 10:19:42 PM »
1986 LBs:

Headon, Hunt, Pepper Johnson.

Oh, and they were the backups!

Mr. Matt

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 11:51:31 PM »
I've always thought the 1990 defense was the best in my lifetime. 1986 was incredible talent, and the team overall was the most dominant. But that '90 defense just controlled games in such a stingy way.

Here's my list of the best defenses since I started watching in '85:

1. 1990
2. 1986
3. 2007
4. 2000
5. 1993

Then I'd maybe throw in last year's at #6. Truly great defenses don't get crushed in playoff games giving up 38 points. You have to be at your best against the best competition.

tucker115

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 209
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:50 AM »
I gave up on that game in Green Bay when I interpreted that the defense was recognizing that the offense was not able to keep the team in the game.  My interpretation was that the D, in general, took their foot off the pedal.  The score suggests that it was a blowout but I never thought of it in that sense. 

I do believe that this is a better defense than anything we have see in the last twenty five years and Spagnuolo is equal  to and better than any past or present defensive coordinator but let's see what happens in the season.

Spags is not the equal of Belichick. Belichick adapted and revised to what the opponent was trying to do. Spags can come up with a strong game scheme, but I do not see him making adjustments, the way Belichick did, during the game.  I don't think Spags measures up to Landry, either. Tom Landry was a pioneer in creating the modern NFL defense. When Landry was the D coordinator, the Giants went to the Championship Game three out of his four years.

As for "taking their foot off the pedal", I don't buy that. I didn't see guys slacking. I saw Rodgers very specifically target the middle of the field, with great success. If you genuinely believe the "foot off the pedal" comment to be true, then, imho, you cannot say they are a top D. No more damning comment can be made about a defense than that! That's just a fancy way of saying they quit. The D, back in the 80s, would win the game, often, in spite of the offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXjznH456k

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 422
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 12:56:31 AM »
Spags is not the equal of Belichick. Belichick adapted and revised to what the opponent was trying to do. Spags can come up with a strong game scheme, but I do not see him making adjustments, the way Belichick did, during the game.  I don't think Spags measures up to Landry, either. Tom Landry was a pioneer in creating the modern NFL defense. When Landry was the D coordinator, the Giants went to the Championship Game three out of his four years.

tucker: You may be right, but don't forget about the Super Bowl where Spags did measure up fairly well against Little Bill's team.  Bob

tucker115

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 209
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 02:43:16 AM »
tucker: You may be right, but don't forget about the Super Bowl where Spags did measure up fairly well against Little Bill's team.  Bob

True, true. But keep in mind the OP specified that we are comparing these men as D coordinators, not as HCs.

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »
I agree with those who feel the difference in the great Ds in the past was the pass rush. It seemed that teams knew it was coming and couldn't do anything about it. Pressure can hide deficiencies and mistakes and as a result it becomes 4th down or a TO. I think that a big help would be better performance by the O. Besides the obvious it keep the D off the field and allows them to rest. Those 3 and outs takes it's toll late in games.

nosebleed_section

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »
Don't forget 1990.

Points Against: 211 (13.2/g) 1st of 28

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 469
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »
The 1986 defense was much better. What they were able to accomplish in the playoffs was special. They completely shut down Montana and Rice, then shut out a top-five offense in Washington, before blowing out the Broncos.

This defense was abused by Aaron Rogers in the playoffs. They have a lot to prove. Adding a handful of marginal role players won't close the gap imo.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 322
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
Just like most people on the Board, I loved the '86 D.  But, I have remind you that the D backfield was just barely above mediocre.  The strength was in the front seven.  IMHO, that team had the best set of LBs in the history of the NFL.

XNYrnLA

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »
XNY, do you mean 86 D.  If so LT makes that D special all alone.  He is arguably the best defensive player ever to play the game, playing in the prime of his career and having his best year.  He was the MVP of the league that year not just defensive player of the year.  When you think about it WOW!!!!
Yes Joe,
My mistake... LT is so far the all time best defensive player on the field, but he also had great company in Banks, Carson, Reasons...?every play was a havic on the O line ... i am so glad I was lucky to witness it.. it was FUN!!

4thand17

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »
Just like most people on the Board, I loved the '86 D.  But, I have remind you that the D backfield was just barely above mediocre.  The strength was in the front seven.  IMHO, that team had the best set of LBs in the history of the NFL.

Mark Collins was a Pro-Bowler.  Kinnard was an All-Pro.   perry Williams wasn't bad - and huge for the times.

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
Come on it's not even the best Giants D in the past 10 years.  Our Strahan, Tuck insane pass rush Ds were better.

BlueMoshik

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »
The best in my lifetime?

Yes. I'm three years old.

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 214
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »
I think I mentioned "all around" and brought up the LT's, Strahans, Huffs, etc. The key word here is "all around" or "over the whole defense". And I'm an old man - a retired engineer that has watched the games for decades.

I like our CB's more than anytime in my life. I like our defensive line as good as anytime in my life. I love the way Collins plays and I can't remember a time that we had a pro bowl safety making vicious tackles, intercepting passes, and running like a RB to return a ball to the end zone.

I readily agree that there has been a time (more like times) we've had better linebackers and in fact, that's what most people remember as "best ever defense" when we were playing a 3-4 defense and loading up on linebackers.

As for me - I like this defense a lot, especially the line and the backfield. This team went 11-5 last year and virtually every game was won by the defense and considering time of possession, the defense was on the field far longer than any other team - and still held them to the lowest number of touchdowns and second fewest points for the season (and that's factoring the Packers game).

I just hope they can duplicate that this year as we finally give them some offense and letting them catch their breath on the sidelines as we finally win time of possession.