Author Topic: Eli, Ben, Rivers all poised to join the 50,000-yard club  (Read 376 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1130
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Eli, Ben, Rivers all poised to join the 50,000-yard club
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »
Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers are all within one solid season of 50,000 yards and should become the seventh, eighth and ninth players to reach the 50,000-yard mark in 2017. The six players already ovder the 50,000-yard mark are Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Dan Marino and John Elway.

Manning currently has 48,218 yards, which means he’s likely around six games away from 50,000. Roethlisberger is at 46,814, meaning he’s probably about 11 games away. And Rivers is at 45,833, which at his 2016 pace would take him 16 games to reach 50,000.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/15/eli-ben-rivers-all-poised-to-join-the-50000-yard-club/
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Uni

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 100
    • View Profile
Re: Eli, Ben, Rivers all poised to join the 50,000-yard club
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »
Hell of a draft that year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 496
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
I'd say at least tied as the second best QB Draft Class of all time at this point and the story ain't over yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

joeyfootball

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 117
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:39:36 PM »
all three of these guys will make the hall of fame.

rivers never had the teams ei and ben had.

maybe this is why archie didn't want his son to go to the chargers.

jimv

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 344
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »
Big Ben didn't "lead his team" to three SB wins.  His first was the year he was a rookie.  The4 Steelers won despite him.  I don't remember his stats in that game, but they were awful.  It was the strong Steeler running game that won that one.  I only consider his as a two SB winner, almost as good as Eli.  He was the MVP in neither.  Clearly, Eli & Ben belong in.  Rivers, like Marino & others, belong in only because of stats.  And, I don't think Eli's being from NY helps him as the author claims; I think it hurts him.

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
Big Ben didn't "lead his team" to three SB wins.  His first was the year he was a rookie.  The4 Steelers won despite him.  I don't remember his stats in that game, but they were awful.  It was the strong Steeler running game that won that one.  I only consider his as a two SB winner, almost as good as Eli.  He was the MVP in neither.  Clearly, Eli & Ben belong in.  Rivers, like Marino & others, belong in only because of stats.  And, I don't think Eli's being from NY helps him as the author claims; I think it hurts him.

You are so right Jim. Ben had the worst stats of any Super Bowl winning QB ever. His big pass at the end of the game was a blind heave into triple coverage.

In big games, Eli has performed much better than Ben has in his career.

Zombo

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
I don't see Rivers as HOF at all....

A solid qb..has had an excellent career...but I don't agree that he
never had the horses...SD...especially early in his career...could
certainly been a SB team...and they never were

I think the HOF is getting a little less choosey so he may very well get in...just
not if I had a vote

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »

I think the HOF is getting a little less choosey so he may very well get in...just
not if I had a vote

Rivers had the team early in his career but he ran into dominant Patriots/Colts/Steelers.I think he's a borderline guy.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 377
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 12:13:19 PM »
Rivers had the team early in his career but he ran into dominant Patriots/Colts/Steelers.I think he's a borderline guy.

And let's give him some credit for his Eli level durability.  Since Phil became the starter he has not missed a single game.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »

not if I had a vote

I agree.  Ultimately, the necessary Hall of Fame credentials include big Playoff and Super Bowl victories.  Rivers has zippo in that department. 

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 275
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 01:35:45 PM »
I don't see a reason to knock any of these guys. All have played very well and deserve to be in the Hall. Rivers and Manning have both struggled behind weak NFL lines with poor running games in recent years. Roethlisberger was not great in the Superbowl, but he was certainly one of the reasons they were there. All three made their receivers better, who dropped off significantly when they left for greener pastures and all but a few found out quickly they were not nearly as valuable when they had someone else throwing to them.

They are all great. Let the Selection Committee nitpick if they see fit. For me, they all belong.
Go Giants!

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:14:09 AM »
I agree.  Ultimately, the necessary Hall of Fame credentials include big Playoff and Super Bowl victories.  Rivers has zippo in that department.
I agree. Although Rivers has had a great career so far, he's not going to Canton. He was on a very good team early on but that franchise has waned and he would have had more success with better opportunities. Eli would not have faired any better than Rivers did with the Chargers and he may have had a worse career than PR over there.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
One thing I love as a fan is listening to people try to speak about the game, which includes former players who have absolutely zero knowledge of the game.

We hear how many times Eli should be discluded because he has led the league in INTs 3 times, yet nary a word that Rivers has done it twice. As if that is the final straw to the argument. SO if Rivers leads the league in INTs this year, he should automatically be disqualified from the HOF? Laughable at these analysis.

Yesterday Damian Woody was extra funny. Said Eli's 2011 year was a mediocre year. And thats a reason why he may never get in. Eli was absolutely amazing in 2011, but these talking heads who do no research whatsoever claim it was the defense or run game that won it for the Giants.

jimv

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 344
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
It's funny how the anti-Eli crowd always bring up his INTs as a factor in holding him out of the Hall.  His career INT percentage is 3.2.  But, Brett Favre who is IN the Hall had a career percent of 3.3,  Hmmmmmmm. :-??