Author Topic: Yowza - Gettleman Fired  (Read 353 times)

MP21WAYS2PAY

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 158
    • View Profile
Yowza - Gettleman Fired
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
Albert Breer?Verified account @AlbertBreer 5m5 minutes ago

The Panthers have fired GM Dave Gettleman. And this crazy offseason as far as GM movement just got crazier.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1130
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Re: Yowza - Gettleman Fired
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
I thought Gettleman did an outstanding job.  This Tweet confirms the only issue I could think of:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
There had been rumblings that all was not well with Gettleman and owner Jerry Richardson stemming from allowing star CB Josh Norman to walk.

As for success

Adam Caplan  @caplannfl
10m
Panthers made playoffs 1st 3 seasons of Gettleman's tenure...missed it only last season.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:48:42 PM by MightyGiants »
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
If Gettleman doesn't find work, I would love to see the Giants bring him back in some capacity. 

Another interesting aspect

Ian Rapoport  @RapSheet
2m
In February, the #Panthers saw President Danny Morrison resign. Assistant GM Brandon Beane left for BUF. Today, GM Dave Gettleman is out.

This is a pretty good write up

Dave Gettleman - G - Free Agent
Panthers fired GM Dave Gettleman.
To call this move shocking would be an understatement. The Panthers did suffer through a disappointing 6-10 season in 2016, but they had been to the playoffs in Gettleman's other three years in charge including a Super Bowl berth in 2015. Gettleman is also a respected talent evaluator who drafted well during his time in Carolina. All of that suggests something behind the scenes prompted this move. It is worth noting star TE Greg Olsen has thrown around the idea of a holdout, LB Thomas Davis is entering his contract year, and Gettleman did not handle the departures of either Steve Smith or Josh Norman particularly well, a fact NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports bothered owner Jerry Richardson. Brandon Beane, who likely would have been the top in-house replacement, accepted the Bills' GM job in May.
Related: Panthers
Source: panthers.com Jul 17 - 12:28 PM
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:00:57 PM by MightyGiants »
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Zombo

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
I'm kinda stunned....

I was really bummed when the NYG lost him and his work for Car was...IMO...excellent

I like him a lot more than JR...still do

Don't think he comes back...there will be a top job for him I believe...

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
I'm kinda stunned....

I was really bummed when the NYG lost him and his work for Car was...IMO...excellent

I like him a lot more than JR...still do

Don't think he comes back...there will be a top job for him I believe...

Dave is 66...  I doubt he will be in high demand due to his age

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
If they keep this up, Carolina is going to rival Philadelphia for how to dismember a successful franchise from the inside out.
Go Giants!

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
DeAngelo Williams
@DeAngeloRB
I want to publicly say @Panthers is off my list of teams I won't play for due to the firing of that snake Dave gettleman!

Zombo

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
Dave is 66...  I doubt he will be in high demand due to his age

I admit I did not check that...that was older than I thought

Valid point....not too old for me but I can see most teams thinking otherwise

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 02:11:14 PM »
I admit I did not check that...that was older than I thought

Valid point....not too old for me but I can see most teams thinking otherwise

The reason I remember is that I read an article where Gettleman thought his window had passed before he was hired by the Panthers.

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
this firing sounds more like a personality clash than it does about job performance...

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 04:20:29 PM »
this firing sounds more like a personality clash than it does about job performance...

I am thinking it was a case of Gettleman holding the line in terms of not overpaying veterans but his boss, Jerry Richardson, wanted to be on better terms with his veterans.   You generally can't have it both ways and Gettleman paid the price.

nosebleed_section

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »
Jerry fired Bill Polian for goodness sakes! He keeps Polian and I bet the Panthers have a few Lombardys.

Jintsman74

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
I hope he comes back to the Giants in some front office position. Did the Giants ever replace Martin Mayhew?

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »
I hope he comes back to the Giants in some front office position. Did the Giants ever replace Martin Mayhew?

No, but that appeared to be a special position created so Jerry Reese could help out an old friend.  I would love a similar role for Dave though

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
It's interesting that players are coming out against Gettleman.   There were also reactions by Steve Smith and Josh Norman that were not exactly sympathetic.   Seems like Dave might have been a bit too focused on business and dollars and cents for the player's liking.   Guess that's what happens when you sign a GM who's background is that of a salary cap guru

Former Panthers linebacker Jon Beason told WFNZ in Charlotte that Gettleman once made a strong accusation about Beason about Beason’s inability to practice and play with a bad knee.

“For him not to know me and say, ‘Hey, listen, you’re faking this injury.’ Those are harsh words,” Beason said. “Verbatim. ‘C’mon, Jon. You know nothing’s wrong with your knee.'”

Beason was recovering from microfracture surgery, a difficult procedure that in many cases is a coin-flip proposition as to whether the player will ever be the same.

“Obviously, I didn’t like that he was challenging my character, my integrity,” Beason said. “Especially since I love to play football.”

It’s surprising more of these anecdotes didn’t emerge before Gettleman was fired. Yes, there had been rumblings about Gettleman’s bedside manner, but nothing to suggest the open season that has been declared since the moment Gettleman got his pink slip.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/jon-beason-dave-gettleman-accused-me-of-faking-an-injury/