Author Topic: 2 Roster Moves  (Read 400 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1176
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
2 Roster Moves
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »
Jordan Raanan  @JordanRaanan
4m
Giants waived DB Mykkele Thompson. Was nursing an injury. Story of his Giants career. Fifth-rounder played in just 1 game with team.

3m
Giants signed LB Jimmy Herman to take Mykkele Thompson's roster spot. Adds depth with Keenan Robinson and Mark Herzlich currently sidelined.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Re: 2 Roster Moves
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
Mykkele Thompson - DB - Giants
Giants waived/injured DB Mykkele Thompson.
LB Jimmy Herman was signed in a corresponding move. Thompson will revert to injured reserve once he clears waivers, which is where he has spent most of his career. Depending on the severity of the injury, he could be released with an injury settlement.
Source: Paul Schwartz on Twitter Aug 10 - 11:50 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10523/mykkele-thompson
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Dumpster Dan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »
Just asking

Are the Giants really interested in signing a linebacker?  Herman is another UDFA who has been waiting for a call from any team--He was at the Giants mini camp tryouts

There are other experienced LB's out there including our own Kelvin Shepard so it seems to me as if they just want another body---that's a good sign I guess because it must mean that they are satisfied with what they have now

DD

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
Just asking

Are the Giants really interested in signing a linebacker?  Herman is another UDFA who has been waiting for a call from any team--He was at the Giants mini camp tryouts

There are other experienced LB's out there including our own Kelvin Shepard so it seems to me as if they just want another body---that's a good sign I guess because it must mean that they are satisfied with what they have now

DD

Dan,

The team has two LBs on the sidelines (3 if you count JT Thomas on PUP) in Herzlich and Robinson

Dumpster Dan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
I know but why an UDFA??

DD

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »
I know but why an UDFA??

DD

I think it's just a camp body...  cheap and he will play hard...  Herzlich and Robinson should be back soon

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 285
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 05:06:42 PM »
I think it's just a camp body...  cheap and he will play hard...  Herzlich and Robinson should be back soon

Exactly. No need to pay veteran minimum when you only need someone with a pulse.
Go Giants!

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 05:28:26 PM »
4m
Giants waived DB Mykkele Thompson. Was nursing an injury. Story of his Giants career. Fifth-rounder played in just 1 game with team.

3m
Giants signed LB Jimmy Herman to take Mykkele Thompson's roster spot. Adds depth with Keenan Robinson and Mark Herzlich currently sidelined.

Thompson was one strange Draft selection.  He carried Free Agent grades on just about every scouts' list (wasn't even listed as Draft-eligible on many) and admitted after the Draft that he was shocked to be picked by anybody.  Every team misses on Draft picks - but when a team "reaches" like that, it really makes you wonder just what the scouts were looking at. 

Apparently the Giants have a bonus system for their scouts when they "hit" on a mid to late Round prospect.  Is it possible that we see these reaches because the scout sees dollar signs?  Just wondering ....

gambit_1

• Reserve
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 01:47:37 AM »
Just asking

DD
Also to add Kelvin Sheppard isn't on the roster. He was released during the offseason

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

MP21WAYS2PAY

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:20:33 AM »
Thompson was one strange Draft selection.  He carried Free Agent grades on just about every scouts' list (wasn't even listed as Draft-eligible on many) and admitted after the Draft that he was shocked to be picked by anybody.

My theory that we drafted the wrong Thompson (Safety Cedric Thompson went 6 spots later) has never been disproved.   8))

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 285
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »
Well, with Jadar Johnson retiring earlier this month and now Thompson being let go, I imagine Nat Berhe and Andrew Adams are perhaps the happiest guys in the locker room.
Go Giants!

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
My theory that we drafted the wrong Thompson (Safety Cedric Thompson went 6 spots later) has never been disproved.   8))

Good theory MP and one that makes lots of sense.

If it is any consolation, Cedric never made it either and is an unsigned Free Agent.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
In all fairness, Thompson didn't have an injury history (that I know of) in college.  So washing out on an injury issue was one of those unforeseen things

Dumpster Dan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
Well that didnt last ling--Herman gone alrerady.

A roster spot open

DD

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 513
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 02:51:54 PM »
I think they should bring in a 5th QB.  /sarcasm/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin