Author Topic: So whom impressed u tonite & whom didn't?  (Read 1236 times)

finnref

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: So whom impressed u tonite & whom didn't?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »
The right side of the defense is not able to stop runs around the end. the same weak point as last  year.

Webb looked very weak to me. Appeared to play just like all Giants QB draft picks in the last two decades. A wasted draft pick.

Geno has potential but holds the ball too long.

Second tier DBs need improvement.

Gman329

• Reserve
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »
The right side of the defense is not able to stop runs around the end. the same weak point as last  year.

Webb looked very weak to me. Appeared to play just like all Giants QB draft picks in the last two decades. A wasted draft pick.

Geno has potential but holds the ball too long.

Second tier DBs need improvement.

I saw a few runs around the right side when our guys won their one on one battles, strung it out well but allowed a cutback, so the guy got 4 or 5 yards when it could have/should have been a loss.  Very correctable and with OV one of the best run stoppers on that side, this qualifies as the least of my concerns.   

Calling Webb a wasted draft pick after 6:49 of game time - his first game experience ever in the NFL - is a little premature, no? 

One thing that struck me is that Ellison might turn out to be our best off season acquisition.  Under the radar kind of guy who looks like he'll make a difference in the running game with his blocking and be an overlooked, sneaky good receiver in big spots.   

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 87
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
Dale,

Webb looked better than Johnson

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I dont get what my analysis has to do with Johnson?

gregf

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
I saw a few runs around the right side when our guys won their one on one battles, strung it out well but allowed a cutback, so the guy got 4 or 5 yards when it could have/should have been a loss.  Very correctable and with OV one of the best run stoppers on that side, this qualifies as the least of my concerns.   

Calling Webb a wasted draft pick after 6:49 of game time - his first game experience ever in the NFL - is a little premature, no? 

One thing that struck me is that Ellison might turn out to be our best off season acquisition.  Under the radar kind of guy who looks like he'll make a difference in the running game with his blocking and be an overlooked, sneaky good receiver in big spots.
Good stuff. Fully agree about Ellison.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1172
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
I dont get what my analysis has to do with Johnson?

Dale,

I thought you were a little overly critical of Webb, but not completely unfair.  Still, even with Webb's issues he still played better than Johnson.  I hope the coaches readjust the depth chart and put Johnson deep down at number 4 so he stops wasting valuable QB snaps
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 87
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
Dale,

I thought you were a little overly critical of Webb, but not completely unfair.  Still, even with Webb's issues he still played better than Johnson.  I hope the coaches readjust the depth chart and put Johnson deep down at number 4 so he stops wasting valuable QB snaps

You dont have to convince me Johnson is garbage, I know he is. I said from the get go that Smith would be the backup, as he should be.

As for Webb, there was nothing wrong with my critique. He can sling it when he has time. However, everyone one of those plays was in shotgun. His best throws were the 1 read ones. Anytime he had to go to a 2nd option or dump down, he struggled, which is expected.

And remember he was going against 4th stringers. While Johnson was going up against 1s. Whole different stratosphere.  Webb has the best arm of the 3 backups, and possibly Eli as well. People just dont understand how long it is going to take him to adjust to the NFL coming from the school that he did.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 377
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 01:16:11 AM »
You dont have to convince me Johnson is garbage, I know he is. I said from the get go that Smith would be the backup, as he should be.

As for Webb, there was nothing wrong with my critique. He can sling it when he has time. However, everyone one of those plays was in shotgun. His best throws were the 1 read ones. Anytime he had to go to a 2nd option or dump down, he struggled, which is expected.

And remember he was going against 4th stringers. While Johnson was going up against 1s. Whole different stratosphere.  Webb has the best arm of the 3 backups, and possibly Eli as well. People just dont understand how long it is going to take him to adjust to the NFL coming from the school that he did.

I find it very hard to look at Johnson's career and figure out why he is even in camp.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

MP21WAYS2PAY

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 03:27:01 AM »
Very pleased with the TEs Ellison and Adams.  It bodes well for our over the middle passing game.  Geno Smith really surprised me, I am happy to have him as our backup.  He may be the best back up QB since Carr. 

The return game stands out as a problem, we got nothing on punt returns, and I dont think the coaches know who to use at this point.  Fluker looked like a liability at RG, is there a chance he doesnt make the roster?.  FS D Thompson was much quieter than I would have expected, maybe he just needs reps.  Rosas impressed on his 52 yarder, but I still prefer the experienced Nugent.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 07:37:15 AM »
Very pleased with the TEs Ellison and Adams.  It bodes well for our over the middle passing game.  Geno Smith really surprised me, I am happy to have him as our backup.  He may be the best back up QB since Carr. 

The return game stands out as a problem, we got nothing on punt returns, and I dont think the coaches know who to use at this point.  Fluker looked like a liability at RG, is there a chance he doesnt make the roster?.  FS D Thompson was much quieter than I would have expected, maybe he just needs reps.  Rosas impressed on his 52 yarder, but I still prefer the experienced Nugent.

I guess the team always has Harris in their back pocket, but I was thinking the same thing.  The returners were below average.

I find it very hard to look at Johnson's career and figure out why he is even in camp.

I'm with you Rich.   The only thing I could think of is one of the Giants scouts must have written a really good report on him some years back.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Gman329

• Reserve
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
Yeah, poor guy simply isn't an NFL QB.  I'm not sure he'd be a CFL or even an arena league QB.  If they don't cut him this week, it's only because they want another QB arm in camp. 

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »
Yeah, poor guy simply isn't an NFL QB.  I'm not sure he'd be a CFL or even an arena league QB.  If they don't cut him this week, it's only because they want another QB arm in camp.

He's also 31 years old, if he was ever going to "make it" something would have happened already

umassgrad

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
Thinking of Webb, anyone remember how Eli looked in his first pre-season game? I couldn't find anything on youtube.

ViewFromSection129

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »
Thinking of Webb, anyone remember how Eli looked in his first pre-season game? I couldn't find anything on youtube.

I don't know about his first preseason game, but I do remember he looked bad in the last six regular season games in his rookie year.  QBs have come so far in the past number of years - they are hitting the ground running much quicker than they did 10 years ago.

As for Webb, I was pleasantly surprised.  He has a long way to go reading defenses, but he throws a great ball and I thought looked good for his first preseason game ever.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 05:31:28 PM »
  I don't know about his first preseason game, but I do remember he looked bad in the last six regular season games in his rookie year.  QBs have come so far in the past number of years - they are hitting the ground running much quicker than they did 10 years ago.

As for Webb, I was pleasantly surprised.  He has a long way to go reading defenses, but he throws a great ball and I thought looked good for his first preseason game ever.

The thing to remember about Webb is he is getting almost no practice time (even today Johnson was robbing snaps)

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 210
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 07:17:58 PM »
What is the point of Johnson taking up valuable snaps at practice? I mean why is he even still on the roster? I liked what I saw from Webb. His protection broke down regularly, and he didn't Panic. He bought time with his mobility and threw the ball away like a seasoned Pro. Expecting him to check down to a second receiver is a little much at this point. That will come in time  with more reps. Remember most of the guys he was playing with will be working for UPS in a couple of weeks. That throw Webb made down the sideline was right on the money. He's got an accurate Cannon for an arm. Hopefully he can get 8 to 10 minutes of game time in the next three games. No reason why he can't especially when they get rid of Johnson. The game time is invaluable in developing a Young quarterback. You can't duplicate game  experience in practice. :goteam:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:52:27 PM by Jaime »