Author Topic: Score + Key Mistakes don't reflect it but many encouraging signs  (Read 290 times)

RoadtoGlory

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 48
    • View Profile
Defense

-1st team defense was suffocating led by Collins and gave up basically nothing

- Aside from OL , an underrated factor and one of the bigger question marks is FS. Spags LOVES to blitz and that will put extra pressure on the secondary. A smart FS who can read plays and cover ground would be a HUGE plus. Thompson got more snaps after most of the first team went out and he looked very steady back there from what I saw. He has basically picked up where he left off before last years injury when he was earning tremendous praises for his ability to know assignments and lead at such a young age. I am excited by what I saw. If he stays healthy this will be a big addition IMO.

-Comments from Landon Collins:

Q: What young guys stood out in your opinion?

A: Definitely B.J. [Goodson], Romeo [Okwara], Avery [Moss], and Dalvin [Tomlinson], all of those guys stood out to me when I was watching. Those guys made key plays, made some sacks, made some tackles, and did their job and that was the most important thing. They did their job and they knew what they were supposed to do and they were in the right gaps when they were supposed to and by doing that it gives us the trust within them to know if we put them on the field, we know they are going to be accountable.

Q: What was it like to have Thompson back?

A: It was amazing. We always had this chemistry together and we showcased it today. We were on the same page. We made the correct calls, no missed calls, no mistakes. That’s our biggest concern when we are on the field. We want to make sure the defense is making the right calls.

-Giants love to send their DL in waves and in their glory days they were doing just that. After OV and JPP the depth is razor thin and their was a huge drop off. We need Okwara who flashed last year to step up and he looked pretty good last night. Devin Taylor could be a very under the radar addition that pays big dividends.

-Tomlinson was very stout in the middle and if the Giants were right in what they saw (though he was a little masked on that uber-talented Bama DL) he could be a big addition. Lets see if he can put it together as early this year.

-Deayon played pretty well at CB (Im not counting the ST play bc Im more interested in finding CB depth as that will be huge- see GB playoff game once DRC went out)

-Hunter played very well IMO and am super encouraged by that because he could be a viable 4th CB (who could still play well as 3rd CB in case of injury)

-Blake and Amos on the other hand did not look good and unless we see dramatic improvement are not NFL caliber CBs

Offense

-I know we have rest of preseason but I don't think Johnson will ever round into a viable back up should Eli go down. He just doesnt seem to have game vision and seems to miss ALOT of the field and open guys. If Eli was in even without Marshall and OBJ we likely would have had 2 more TDs as there were lots of receivers open.

-Lots of open receivers which was a very encouraging sign because you want to see systematic improvements from last year when it seemed everyone knew what we were running and receivers seemed to have an uphill battle to get open.

-OL was up and down but specifically Flowers technique and speed DO look improved. He seems lighter on his feet and a little less mechanical. I dont think he'll ever become a dancing elephant out there but if he is even somewhat technique sound with his size,arm length strength and ability he will be at least an average LT. Richberg worried me and I'm wondering about him because he seemed in his second year to be a really good center. Pass blocking aside from some shoddy QB play as well a couple missed assignments was actually excellent at times. Run blocking on the other hand still leaves alot to be desired. The OL will most definitely be wait and see but there were some encouraging signs that they should at least be better than last year.

-Geno was actually pretty good but he back to his Jet days has a propensity to look very good then make an absolute head scratching throw/decision. Definitely not a bad #2 and IMO should get the job over JJ.

-If I had to guess on the receivers should thing continue to trend the way the are:

The bubble guys:
Lewis (cut-great ability, 10 cent head, another Reuben Randle type)
Powe (makes it)
Tye (cut)
Adams (in)
LaCosse (in)
Keon Johnson (could make it if he builds on last nights performance or practice squad)
Lane(intrigued want to see more)
Travis Rudolph (I believe he has a shot, he is just a smart ,saavy receiver who runs good routes despite lacking measurables)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:10:03 PM by RoadtoGlory »

gregf

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 50
    • View Profile
Re: Score + Key Mistakes don't reflect it but many encouraging signs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:41:50 PM »
Good post. I'm interested to see more of Devin Taylor too.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Uni

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »
I really liked Lane for some reason. His build reminds me of Anquan Boldin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 1176
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
Great post, I wasn't as impressed by Deayon though.  I thought he was only so so in his role as a CB
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

RoadtoGlory

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »
Great post, I wasn't as impressed by Deayon though.  I thought he was only so so in his role as a CB

Didn't watch it a second time yet and key in on the Cbs but I liked his quick twitch and compete level. Hes still very green and seemed to have a couple technique mistakes at first glance but let's see how he does over the next 3 preseason games. Hunter looks like he could be a pretty decent #3/#4 CB but after him there is no one else (at least that I see).

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 1176
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
Didn't watch it a second time yet and key in on the Cbs but I liked his quick twitch and compete level. Hes still very green and seemed to have a couple technique mistakes at first glance but let's see how he does over the next 3 preseason games. Hunter looks like he could be a pretty decent #3/#4 CB but after him there is no one else (at least that I see).

RTG,

I have a feeling one of the Giants CBs is on another team's roster right now
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

RoadtoGlory

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
Agreed, Giants are aggressive on the waiver wire for depth. If one of Hunter or Deayon pan out we'll be in pretty good shape (and likely grab one off the wire). But if somehow both pan out, we may not need the waiver wire after all.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 380
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 01:09:05 AM »
Great writing.  I'm looking forward to watching the all-22 and your rundown clues me in for what to watch for.

And great to have you back after your hiatus!
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

RoadtoGlory

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Great writing.  I'm looking forward to watching the all-22 and your rundown clues me in for what to watch for.

And great to have you back after your hiatus!

Thanks buddy. Ive been off the radar for a while in a lot of prayer. The world is getting absolutely crazy. I have never felt this feeling before in my Spirit but I believe Jesus is coming back really soon. Time to get right with the Father!