Author Topic: A Closer Look at a few of the players from Friday Night  (Read 223 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 1191
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
A Closer Look at a few of the players from Friday Night
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:07:07 AM »
First up is Valentino Blake.   He was roundly criticized for his play on Friday by the media and the fans.   I saw things a bit differently.   I saw him making plays in special teams, contributing in run defense and only really blowing one play.  The one play, that people say he blew was on Berhe.   I think he did better than people realize.  Here is McAdoo on Blake:

Q: How do you think the reserve cornerbacks played in last night’s game, particularly Valentino Blake?

A: I think Blake had a lot of snaps in the ball game, did some good things on special teams. It was nice to see him come up with the interception there. He needs to make sure he takes care of the ball better than he did. He was waving that thing around a little bit, but it was nice to see him make a play on the ball. They ran a nice double-move, he was isolated there for a touchdown towards the end of the game on the double-move. He was isolated and they made a nice play.

Q: The other deep ball completed on CB Valentino Blake, was that S Nat Berhe not getting over in time, or do you put that on Valentino?

A: Yeah, the post player slipped on the play.

Next of is Shane Smith.   He had a couple of good blocks and a catch and played well on specials.  However, I saw him make a few whiffs on his blocking assignments which are a big no-no for a FB who's primary job is to block.   I don't think Smith has secured a roster spot yet.  Here is Ben on Smith

Q: Did FB Shane Smith impress you in catching another pass, his block on the 4th down conversion and some good pass protection, too?

A: Yes, I liked what Shane did on special teams. I think he has some fluidity to him for a fullback, for a big guy. That always helps because he’s going to have to be a special teams contributor if he has a chance. I think he can be sharper in his details from the fullback spot, and it’ll get better there over time in the next three weeks.

Adam Gettis is the final one.  Let me tell you the more I watched him play against the 2s and the 3s the less impressed I became.  Gettis was routinely getting beat by lesser competition.    I would be shocked to see him make the roster at this point even if he can play center in a pinch.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 441
    • View Profile
Re: A Closer Look at a few of the players from Friday Night
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
Rich: I hope Spags noted what the Steelers did on the play when Blake was isolated and beaten for a touchdown (right after the Giants turned the ball over, when the Steelers started on about the Giants' 35).

They're sure to try it again at a key moment in this year's Super Bowl against the Giants.... (hey, I can dream, cant' I?).  LOL

Assuming you have access to NFL Game Pass, re-watch the play (using full version of the game with the audio feed of the Steelers' announcers).  The announcers first tell you exactly what's about to happen, then after the play they describe how the Steelers got the receiver one-on-one with Blake.  It's a trick they use often, so I hope our safeties study up on that play... other teams are bound to copy it.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:40:43 PM by Bob In PA »

Cid in Dupont

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 123
  • Best SB ever!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
EM mentioned LB Grant Curtis as someone who impressed him.  I didn't get a chance to see the game, did anyone else see this kid?  This was the first I've ever heard his name during the entire off season.  Apparently (per EM) he has great lateral (side to side) ability and a nose for the 🏈.

Cid
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:16:11 PM by Cid in Dupont »
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 1191
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »
EM mentioned LB Grant Curtis as someone who impressed him.  I didn't get a chance to see the game, did anyone else see this kid?  This was the first I've ever heard his name during the entire off season.  Apparently (per EM) he has great lateral (side to side) ability and a nose for the .

Cid
I thought he had more bad plays than good on Friday

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"