News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Podcast With Patricia Traina

Started by Ed Vette, September 20, 2017, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

It's about an hour and I was able to get all your questions in as best I could. Thank you all who participated. Cid, AP_Dale, Mitch, Londonblue, Burt Chief, MP21, Bob, Tim-200 and JimV.

Patti had some great insight and didn't hold back where criticism was warranted. We also touched on some other key topics discussed here the past couple of weeks. 

On Soundcloud:

https://tinyurl.com/BBH-Pat-Traina-Podcast

On YouTube:

https://youtu.be/Z2lrtqDdnKo
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jintsman74

Ed,

Thank you very much for the pod cast with Patty. Very good information. Were you ever in radio business? You did a good job. Patty is very good as well. She calls it like she sees it which is great. Hopefully we will hear a few more podcasts with Pat and you with some better play of the Giants.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jintsman74 on September 21, 2017, 07:01:51 PM
Ed,

Thank you very much for the pod cast with Patty. Very good information. Were you ever in radio business? You did a good job. Patty is very good as well. She calls it like she sees it which is great. Hopefully we will hear a few more podcasts with Pat and you with some better play of the Giants.

Ed:  Notice the highlighted part of jintsman's post. 

I've just got to make an exception to my general rule and say "I told you so!" 

Bob

Ed Vette

Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

The Chief

Ed, you play well with others.  You and Patty complement each other.  Outstanding.   :ok: :ok:

MightyGiants

I really wish I could have been on this podcast  :(
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 22, 2017, 09:55:17 AM
I really wish I could have been on this podcast  :(

Rich: I wondered about that, but concluded you were probably out helping someone with something more important than football, and I can think of a lot of things more important than football. Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: The Chief on September 22, 2017, 09:54:06 AM
Ed, you play well with others.  You and Patty complement each other.  Outstanding.   :ok: :ok:

Thank you sir! I am thrilled that members here appreciate the finished product.  There is considerable time and effort to produce the series. The podcast has developed a following outside of BBH also and I have gotten some nice feedback via email and text too.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 22, 2017, 10:37:56 AM
Thank you sir! I am thrilled that members here appreciate the finished product.  There is considerable time and effort to produce the series. The podcast has developed a following outside of BBH also and I have gotten some nice feedback via email and text too.

I really appreciate Ed's efforts to expand Big Blue Huddle's reach with the podcast.   I can relate to all the time and effort he puts into the podcast as I have similar efforts creating, maintaining and adding content to the message board part of our site.  I am glad to see Big Blue Huddle being a presence here, on Twitter (and to a lesser extent Facebook) as well as our podcasts.   I am glad we started the podcasts as it shows we are keeping up with the times or at least trying to.   I really appreciate Pat Traina taking time to answer our questions and to appear on our podcast.  I really regret not being with her on this one as I enjoyed talking to her and asking her questions on the last one.  It's great for us to partner up with Pat and I highly recommend her Inside Football product as well as her work on many other publications as well as her own Big Blue Chat podcast she does with Ed Valentine.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

Great stuff Ed. I'm surprised she opted to not bench Flowers when you asked what she would do with Oline. She kept Pugh at RT ( due to Hart limping) and beefed up interior with Fluker. Btw, when Jacobs declined and Bradshaw was still effective, it was because AB could threaten the edges. This team can't push the middle or threaten the edge. This is why I want Fluker at Guard, to push the middle. Myself, id put Pugh at LT

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

Quote from: gregf on September 22, 2017, 02:20:58 PM
Great stuff Ed. I'm surprised she opted to not bench Flowers when you asked what she would do with Oline. She kept Pugh at RT ( due to Hart limping) and beefed up interior with Fluker. Btw, when Jacobs declined and Bradshaw was still effective, it was because AB could threaten the edges. This team can't push the middle or threaten the edge. This is why I want Fluker at Guard, to push the middle. Myself, id put Pugh at LT

Thanks, Greg. I can't speak for Patti but perhaps it's because her perspective has always been from reporting her observations and not from her own perspective. Patti defaulted to moveing Flowers was not an option as I recall.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Pat_Traina

Quote from: gregf on September 22, 2017, 02:20:58 PM

Greg,

They're sticking with Flowers at LT for better or for worse because they have to make a decision on his option year after this season. They saw signs of improvement in the summer which encouraged them. Now obviously, he's gone back to his old poor habits, but in trying to see things through their eyes, I think they're trying to balance out the bad with the good with Flowers. I know that doesn't make anyone feel better as all it takes is one bad play to get Eli killed, but if Flowers turns out to be a bust, that's going to set this franchise back like you wouldn't believe unless they can get Chad Wheeler up to speed.

Pat
Patricia Traina
Editor, Inside Football
www.insidefootball.com
Twitter: @Patricia_Traina

gregf

Pat, thanks for all your great stuff. I've always been a glass half full guy. Yet, I truly believe Flowers is not an NFL LT after the last game. I read your interview in the pre season about the issues with changing to RT or guard. Flowers has size and strength in abundance. Either he adapts to a new position or his career will be shortened in my view. When Eli was drafted, the Raiders picked the top tackle in the draft. He was a bust at tackle. However, he got s second contract a an above average guard. I think that's Flowers best option. In am hopeful we use 2 of the 3 first picks next year to rebuild the line.
Long ago, Joe Theisman said the Giants had the worst O line in football, the days of Ian Allen. Accorssi then built an o line that was one of the games best from 2007 to 2011. We had 2 1000 yard rushers, 3 successful running backs, won 2 super bowls and might have had a third if Plax wasn't a fool in 08.
Its time to put real changes and real resources up front. Till then, removing Flowers from the blind side and pushing the pocket with Fluker is the best I think we can manage. 

AP44

Pat and Ed,

I may not have been clear with my question. I was not referring to Eli running a 2 minute offense all game. I understand Pat's point about. My point is exactly as it seems. If we are going to run the 11 offense 90% of the time. Just let Eli call the plays. We dont have to snap the ball within 10 seconds, what I would like is to get to line within 10 seconds, let Eli do what he does best and see the defense and call a play. You can still take 30-35 seconds for each play, but lets get to the line and not let the defense substitute or be able to make their audibles.

Nothing is worse than huddling with the same formation, play after play. If we did go from an 11 to a 12 formation, all you need to do is tell Eli the formation, and let him pick the play. I understand he has the ability to change which side the play is run or from a pass to run and vice versa  but his audibles are usually predetermined.

Just let him call the play as he sees fit. If there is one strength to Eli is that he knows what he is saying and he is very smart. I think Ben limits what he can do.