News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

VIDEO- Highlights of the 1986 Vikings VS Giants game

Started by MightyGiants, March 08, 2008, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

This has that great 4 and 17 pass from Simms to Johnson.  I always felt that was the play that turned things around for Simms.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BlueMoshik

That brought back memories. A couple of things stand out for me:

did anyone notice how that 1st down pass from simms to B Johnson on the last drive was similar to Manning-to-Tyree in the SB?

I had sort of forgotten how mediocre the Giants secondary was that season, especially when terry kinard got injured.

Simms really was a tough, gritty player.

Terry Bradshaw used to give good, incisive commentary. hard to believe.

Mighty, I woulfn't overestimate the importance of that play, though. Simms turned things around with an impressive 1984 season, when he played a whole season, made the playoffs with practically no rushing game to help him out, and passed for over 4000 yards. That 4th down pass to Johnson was one of many close calls that the Giants had down the stretch of thAT amazing 1986 season. Another one was the 21-17 win over the 49ers, on Monday Night I believe.

Thanks for posting that.

MightyGiants

Good points BM.  I don't know about that play though.  For me that was a do or die situation.  It just seemed like after that, there was a confidence (at least on my part) that when things were down, Simms would come through.  Prior to that, it seemed like he would more likely throw an INT. 

One thing that really stood out for me, with those two videos,  was the impact that McKonkey made as a WR.  I always just thought of him as a punt returner.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE