News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The greatest linebacking corps in history

Started by MightyGiants, July 05, 2007, 01:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Daddy

How about Brad Van Pelt, Harry Carson and Brian Kelly.

Now that was a good group of linebackers who will NEVER get their due.

jimmyz

The Giants LB corps was what the Saints aspired to be. This really irritates me that they are ahead of the Giants.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

bighitterdalama

My vote goes to LT, Harry, Reasons, and Banks. That said, recognition should go to the Kansas City Chiefs terrific trio from the 60s/70s: Jim Lynch, Willie Lanier, and Bobby Bell. Both Lanier and Bell are Hall of Fame members.

Jim Lynch

Willie Lanier

Bobby Bell

BigHitter

bighitterdalama

No slight to the Steel Curtain. But the linebacking trio of Andy Russell, Jack Lambert, and Jam Ham only played together as a unit for two seasons.  Lambert was a rookie in 1974, the Steelers first Super Bowl win, a 16-6 victory over the Vikings. Russell retired after the 1975 Super Bowl, a 21-17 victory over the Cowboys. Fourth year player Loren Toews took over Russell's WILL position in 1976. The Steelers added rookie OLB Dennis Winston in 1977. Toews and Winston split time at the WILL position during the Steelers '78 and '79 Super Bowl seasons.

Remember also that the Steeler defense featured HOFers defensive tackle Joe Greene and cornerback Mel Blount. Strong arguments for the Hall could also be made for DE L.C. Greenwood  and DBs Donnie Shell and Mike Wagner. Although the Giant DL was certainly outstanding during the 1980s (in my mind, Leonard Marshall and George Martin were at least as good as Greenwood), none have ever been mentioned for HOF selection. And although the Giants did have some very solid players in the secondary (Mark Collins was a terrific player), none matched the HOF caliber play of Blount, Shell, Wagner, etal. 

Andy Russell

Jack Lambert

Jack Ham

BigHitter.

Slick

For a couple of years including their title year,
the Bear trio of Singletary,Marshall.and Wilson,were just about as close to being perfect that a linebacking unit could get.

The Giant group may have had a longer tenure playing together at a high level.

Kiwi,Pierce, and Mitchell,will make us  forget those units,and set the standard for excellence this year, and I'll believe that even if my intervention sessions succeed. 

bighitterdalama

Slick,

You hit the nail on the head. The Bear trio of Marshall, Singletary, and Wilson played together as a unit for only three years: '85-'87. Note that this includes the strike-shortened 1987 season. Marshall signed with the Redskins in 1988. Wilson's career effectively ended with an injury in 1987. He sat out the entire 1988 season and, after a one game stint with the Raiders in '89, retired.

TheBigHitter

retrojint

I think that Bear trio of 85 benefited by scheme more than any other crew mentioned.  Marshall went to the Redskins.  In a different defense.  I never saw him make a play against the Giants.  He must have done something against them, I know, but I can't remember it.  Wilson is remembered in Syracuse as a guy who transfered out on Maloney. 

I think when you look at Carson's career, you have to respect how he made the transition from 4-3 Mike to 3-4 plugger.  It wasn't easy playing that position for Parcells.  You had to take the guards straight on.  Singletary could have never done it for the Giants.  Lambert essentially retired because of the Steelers switching to a 3-4.  He lost all the juice for playing and went up into the hills surrounding Pittsburgh to live.

Big Hitter:  I had the Packer trio listed above.  I think you have to include them as well. 2 HOFers and multiple league championships.  I really can't say how good Leroy Caffey was other than remembering that he kept Tommy Joe Crutcher on the bench.  But I don't he was that big a drop off from the other two. 

Bobby Bell and Dave Robinson were the prototypes of the size-speed-hit OLB position.  They were excellent athletes who presaged the age of guys like LT.  Put Ted Hendricks in there as well, though he was always freakish because of his height. 

MightyGiants

The Bears were ranked number 5.  They had one admitted weakness.  They couldn't play pass coverage.   One of the KC LB Corps (I think the 70s) was number 4.

I got to watch the show last night in detail.  Here is the reasoning I think went into the rankings.

80s Saints-  I think this was part pity ranking.  I think the show's producers felt bad that such a great group never won a play off game, much less a championship and that wasn't there fault.  Plus one year all 4 of their LBs went to the pro bowl (something that has never happened before or after).

The Steel Curtain-  I think they were impressed with the domination of the Steelers in the 70s and that is what pushed them ahead of the Giants.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

retrojint

And taken as an entire unit, MG, the Steel Curtain was probably the defense that dominated over the longest length of time.  The Saints defense is probably an idiosyncratic selection based on sentiment, as you suggest.  They were excellent.  But they didn't win anything.  And a further insult to that group will be that pro football's HOF is historically not kind to players who didn't play in championship-type games.  Nothing like football or basketball.  I think that will change in the ensuing years.  I can't even think of the fourth guy:  Swilling, Jackson, Mills and who?

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bighitterdalama

Steve,

Ricky Jackson, Vaughn Johnson, Sam Mills, and Pat Swilling.

retrojint

NYSPORTS

Quote from: Iamboo on July 05, 2007, 10:31:13 PM
The top 5 were (if I remember correctly):

3) The 80's Giants - Banks, Reasons, Carson, Taylor (honestly, how many of you heard Pat Summerall's voice right now when you read it?)

I can, no doubt.   :)

spiderblue43

From 1974 to 1990, I think the Giants had the most consistent LB unit in football. Start with Brad Van Pelt (All-Pro player for years), Brian Kelly and eventual HOF in Harry Carson. Then LT, the greatest OLB ever into the mix. Then also add capable role players like Andy Headen and Byron Hunt in the early 80's. Plus in the mid 80's, Carl Banks, Gary Reasons, Pepper Johnson, Steve DeOssie, etc. Truly a dependable and outstanding unit.

This is excluding Jesse Armstead, too.

Painter

Once again a thread which has meandered far from its subject and intent. But no harm done, I suppose.

Cheers!