News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The greatest linebacking corps in history

Started by MightyGiants, July 05, 2007, 01:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

I don't get that channel over here but read the thread with great interest as LB is the position I love to watch the most.

The fact that some struggled to remember Vaughan Johnson as the 'other' backer for the famed 'Dome Patrol' was something I found interesting.

At times in the late 80's watching the Saints LB corps play was like watching the Giants LB corps play but with Johnson in Banks' role as far as fans of other teams were concerned i.e. he was the best LB on his team in many games but because of who also played that position - in VJ's case paired on the inside with Sam Mills, Banks of course paired with LT on the outside - it seems that he never found himself in the glare of the media spotlight.

And this was a guy who made the Pro Bowl 4 straight years because the players and coaches sure as hell knew who he was!

One thing I noted missing from this entire thread was the mention of a single LB corps in the discussion from teams in the 1990's and particularly from the new millennium.

Is this because of the prevalence of the 4-3 system from the 1990's onwards? The use of more 3 WR sets which take an LB off the field about 1/3rd of first downs nowadays? Or is it simply because the LB's of today greatest trait is speed rather than intimidatory power?

To be honest only the Ravens of 2000 (Lewis, Boulware and Sharper) even came close to the sort of dominance seen from the Giants, Bears and Saints corps of the 80's.

Thoughts?

retrojint

Ceri:  It's one half about frequently seeing the strong-side backer get pulled in the substitution packages, and one half about there not being any dominate foursomes or threesomes in the 90s.  The Cowboys were the dominate team in the league until the mid-nineties.  I don't think their linebackers would rate on the all-time list.  The Ravens group that you mentioned was excellent. 

In the 00s the most dominant, creative defense has been Little Bill's.  He's had many versatile talents in his linebacking units over the years.  But with the possible exception of Willie McGinest, there isn't the hint of stardom among the group.  Underrated, solid, steady, tough.  But nothing like having three potential Hall of Famers in the unit like the Giants did. 

MightyGiants

Ceri,

The Ravens LB corp came in number 10.   I believe around 7 or 8 there was the Pittsburg LB corp of the 90s from the Blitzburg defenses of that era.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

NapoleonBlownapart

one group not mentioned on that program or in here.

1963 Bears - Joe Fortunato, Bill George, Larry Morris

Giant Jim

This is easy, The Crunch Bunch! Van Pelt, Kelley, Carson and LT. Van Pelt was their best player of the 70's, LT, their best player of the 80's and Carson, who was never the best linebacker on any Giants team, but good enough for the HOF. Kelley wasn't too shabby either.

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: Giant Jim on May 07, 2021, 07:52:30 PM
This is easy, The Crunch Bunch! Van Pelt, Kelley, Carson and LT. Van Pelt was their best player of the 70's, LT, their best player of the 80's and Carson, who was never the best linebacker on any Giants team, but good enough for the HOF. Kelley wasn't too shabby either.

I'll second Giant Jim. this one is number 1