News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who are the Giants players on this 1972 SI cover?

Started by MightyGiants, June 22, 2008, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Wolverine1975

The man in the upper right corner is Jack Gregory.  I'm not sure who #75 is.

bighitterdalama

I have to double check, but I think #75 is Giant rookie DT Larry Jacobsen. #81 is indeed Jack Gregory.

Big Hitter

retrojint

Yeah Jacobsen.  The Giants took both great Cornhusker defensive tackles of that era.  Jacobsen had the size, but his career was marred when he sliced the tendons in a leg or foot when he walked through a plane glass door.  Richie Glover simply wasn't big enough to play defensive tackle.  Great college player much like the first Selmon brother at Oklahoma.  Kart or Big Hitter would probably get those guys straight.  It was something like Luscious, who was the first, playing over the nose, and never played in the NFL.  Then Dewey and Leroy who both played with the Bucs.  Dewey as a linebacker.  Leroy made the HOF.  Get that right, boys?

Larry Brown was a tough little runner out of Kansas St, whom George Allen positively burnt in about three years.  He must have thought he had a guy the size of Csonka or Campbell back there.  Genuine bad blood was already present in 72 between the teams.  There's a good thread to be made going over the rivalry during Allen's time with the Redskins. 

bighitterdalama

Steve,

The Giants drafted Larry Jacobsen in the 1st Round (#24 overall) of the 1972 draft. The Giants had obtained this pick as part of the trade that sent The Sainted Fran Tarkenton back to the Vikings. I believe that the injury occurred over the 72-73 off-season. The injury actually resulted from him stepping on a glass at a pool party. Jacobsen tried returning, but was unable to push off with the injured foot. He played in 19 games the next two seasons, but was gone following 1974. (As a historical side note: Prior to his injury, I believe that we had Jacobsen slotted in for the HOF. Right next to the Connecticut Huskie great, Vince Clement.)

Lucious Selmon is the elder Selmon of which you speak. As you noted, he was an undersized NT who graduated from OU in 1974. The Patriots selected him in the 16th round of the 1974 draft, but Lucious opted instead to play for the Memphis Southmen of the newly established World Football League. When the WFL folded after two seasons, Lucious returned to Oklahoma in 1976 as the Sooners' defensive line coach. He remained at OU for nineteen seasons. He moved on to the NFL in 1995 as Tom Coughlin's DL coach in Jacksonville. He remained with the Jaguars through the '02 season. His latest and last coaching stint was in 2005 as the DL coach at Michigan State.

Lee Roy Selmon was the #1 overall pick in the 1976 draft, being selected by the expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was a six-time Pro Bowl selection in his nine years with the Bucs. In 1995, he was selected for the Pro Football Hall  of Fame.

Dewey Selmon was also drafted in 1976 by the Bucs. He was a Round 2 selection, #60 overall. He played for the Bucs from '76-'80 and for the Chargers in '82. He played in no Pro Bowls, but was a 2nd Team ILB on the Associated Press' 1979 All Pro Team.

Trivia question:

What was odd about Lee Roy Selmon's selection to the HOF?

BigHitter 

retrojint

Thanks for the research and mop up work, Big Hitter.  And it's Lee Roy.  I apologize to the big guy.  As I recall Selmon only played in about five Pro Bowls, which is a fairly short amount for an HOFer.  Other than that I can't think of what was unique about his selection.  He must have been the first Tampa Bay Buc selected. 

BlueMoshik

I just remember Lee Roy Selmon as a fantastic DL, playing for a terrible team (sort of a Harry Carson equivalent), maybe the best of his day. I know SI's Dr. Z was a big booster for his HOF selection.

retrojint

Yes, indeed he was, Blue Muscuvite.  And deservedly so.  He was an outstanding player.  Mr. Da Lama never did tell me what was peculiar about his HOF selection, however?