News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants history trivia question 7-8

Started by retrojint, July 08, 2007, 07:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrojint

What Giant TE was the first player to lead the NFL in receptions in a season playing that position?

bighitterdalama

Steve,

I am a little confused about the question. Did a Giant TE lead the league in receptions overall, or Did a Giant TE lead the league in receptions for a TE?

bighitterdalama

I think I have Retro's answer, but I will beg off. Some additional trivia:

1) This former Giant player had 100+ receptions/1000+ yards over an eight season career with the Jints. He is an alumnus from the same Kentucky institution that yielded Phil Simms to the Giants. Who is he?

2) This former Giant had a more that creditable eight year career for the Giants. While in college, he broke all the school's records that had been previously set by a future HOF member who played the same position.

* Who is this player?
   * Whose college records did he break?
   * What was the school?

3) This former Giant player, who was a standout on the Giant defenses of the 1950s/1960s, never moved into the New York metropolitan area. He would commute daily from his home in Philadelphia. Who is he?

BigHitter

retrojint

His 59 receptions led the league as a tight end.  That's the first time it was done by a tight end.  That's how I meant it.  Here's the story on Reggie Leach. 

On the other two, I got one already.  I'll check back later to see if anybody chimes in with a couple of winning tickets. 

bighitterdalama

Steve,

I think you meant to say the first TE that led a conference in receptions. If so, I am pretty sure I have it nailed.

Brian

retrojint

Brian:  Thanks for the bailout.  You have been doing that for me since chemistry class.  Actually, my source was a photo and caption from Richard Whittingham's, " The Giants.  From the Polo Grounds to Super Bowl XXI. An Illustrated History."  The caption read, "X became the first tight end in NFL history to lead the league in pass receptions."  The irony in the error is the guy who did lead the NFL that season is probably my favorite non-Giant player of all-time.   Anyway, yeah, amend the question to read NFC.  Regards. 

dasher

Big Hitter,
I think I got 2 of the 3 questions.
Gary Shirk was a fellow Morehead State alumnus who in fact caught Phil's first career TD pass.
ROLOMOKO member Jim Katcavage commuted from the city of brotherly love. Anyone know the other 3 members of ROLOMOKO?

dasher

Big Hitter and Retro,
I have a feeling that both of you have special Syracuse rooting interests, so my guess on Big Hitter's trivia question is:
Joe Morris- Jim Brown - Syracuse

bighitterdalama

Dasher,

Nice job. Two out of three. Brown/Morris is not correct. Jimmie Brown's carerr records were broken by Ernie Davis, whose records were broken by Floyd Little, whose records were broken by Larry Csonka, whose records were broken by Morris.

BigHitter

Webster29

Big Hitter---I thought I had the answer to question number 2.  I was thinking Lewis Tillman---broke Walter Payton's records at Jackson State but he was with the Giants only 5 years.   I'll have to think some more.

retrojint

Tillman is correct.  Good one Red.

bighitterdalama

Big Red,

I worded the RB question poorly. It was Lew Tillman that I was looking for. He played eight seasons in the NFL, five with the Giants. Good job.

Big Hitter