News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Trivia 7-9

Started by retrojint, July 09, 2007, 12:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrojint

Giants QB Dave Brown once said that his college coach told him, "If lifting weights was important for a quarterback, the best quarterbacks would be offensive linemen."  Who was Brown's college old ball coach?

bighitterdalama

I know this one, but I will defer.

dasher

Talk about a college system QB's success- Dave Brown and Steve Spurrier.

retrojint

Well done Dasher.  The most underrated of Santa's sleigh team certainly has game.  You got game kid.

dasher

Thanks Retro- Keep the quiz's coming. I'm looking for a batting average close to Posada's. So far, so good.
Dasher was a nickname given to me by my latest girlfriend, and had something to do with one's propensity not to linger after consumation.
But for a family board, being the most underrated reindeer is brilliant.
And, do you know ROLOMOKO?
dale

retrojint

I always have the urge to run out of the room upon conclusion as well, buddy.   :-t  That alphabet semi- rhyming soup must be some sort of designation for their defensive front?  Is Mo, the DT?  You have me on that one Dash.  So let it sit in case somebody can come up with it. 

dasher

Yes to MO.
Think early 60's.
KO has a little literary license involved.

LennG

I was wondering the same exact thing

I was looking at Ro (Robustelli or Rosie)
                          Mo (Little Mo)

But KO and LO How do we get katcavage out of KO

Is LO John Loventeer???
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

dasher

Yes ROLOMOKO was probably the first defensive line with a nickname that I can remember. The Giants traded an aging Roosevelt Grier to the Rams for strongman John LoVotere prior to the 1963 season. Rosie of course went on to star with the Rams Fearsome Foursome of Lundy, Jones, Grier, and FTD Man. LoVotere had a couple of good seasons and then hurt his knee as I remember and ended his Giants career in 1965.
RObustelli, LOvotere, MOdzelewski, and KAtcavage were the guys. And I didn't make it up. ROLOMOKO was their nickname.
But then, maybe, perhaps it's the alzheimers kicking in?!

bighitterdalama

Dasher,

For bonus points, which member of the Giants coaching staff from the 1960s also commuted daily from Philadephia?

dasher

I don't know the coaching staff member, Big Hitter. Maybe it will come to me but right now at 1:18AM, I'm clueless!

bighitterdalama

Wide receiver coach . . .

dasher

brain still fogged in-- I may have to ask for initials as a last resort if no one can come up with it. Even with initials, I may be hurting!

dasher

You got me Big Hitter, the only name bouncing around in my brain is Bob Schnelker, and I seriously don't think he is the one!.

bighitterdalama

Dash,

This last question is a tough one. I was looking for Ken Kavanaugh, Allie Sherman's receivers' coach from the late sixties. Ken also served as the Giants' unofficial assistant OC. (Sherman had total control of the offense and had nothing to do with the defense.) Sherman and Kavanaugh constructed some very innovative plays that were designed with the unique abilities of Fran Tarkenton in mind. The last second game winning "flea flicker" TD pass to Homer Jones against the Steelers in Game 5 of the 1967 season comes to mind. Sherman referred to such trick plays as "hipper dippers."

Big Hitter