News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

It Seemed Like Only Yesterday...

Started by Wolverine1975, July 08, 2008, 12:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolverine1975

Excerpted from The New York Times, October 9, 1976.

GIANTS SING PRAISES OF NEW STADIUM
by Michael Katz (Special to The New York Times)

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Oct. 8-At 1:56 P.M., Tom Mullen took a small step for Giant-kind and moved on to green AstroTurf at Giants Stadium.
     As the loudspeakers played "Over The Rainbow", Mullen became the first Giant player to take the field for the team's first practice at its $68 million new home.
     "I got dressed faster than anybody else," said the starting left tackle of his history-making moment. 
     A few minutes later, Joe Danelo, the little place-kicker, made the first fumble, dropping a punt from Dave Jennings, and the Giants were home at last after three years of wandering since New York City kicked them out of Yankee Stadium. 
     "We just had a normal practice," said Coach Bill Arnsparger.  "It's nice to have a home, a home for your football team, a home for your fans.
     "Tradition is based on the home.  The family institution is based on the home.  Our country was built on it, people coming here looking for a home."
     The Giants didn't get here by the Mayflower, however.  Most had no trouble finding their luxurious new home from their regular practice facilities at Pace University in Pleasantville, N.Y.  It took Marsh White almost three hours, though.
     Even White thought the trip was worth it when he saw the players' facilities, which include a sauna and two handball courts.  "This locker room has better carpeting than I do in my house," said Doug Van Horn.
     "It's like a country club in here," said Jack Gregory.
     "I think the shower's even bigger than the locker room," said Jim Stienke.
     "I grew two inches when I walked in," said Brian Kelley.
     "Beautiful," said Brad Van Pelt.
     "Magnificent," said Pat Hughes.
     "Fantastic," said Dave Jennings.
     "Stop putting words in their mouths," said Arnsparger.

bighitterdalama

My vote for the 1976 Giants Rookie of the Year:

Big Hitter