News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Big Hitter's Giant Trivia: 07/10/07

Started by bighitterdalama, July 10, 2007, 12:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

This member of the Giant family began his career as a backup player for the Eagles. Later, as a member of the Giants, he garnered the same prestigious NFL award in consecutive years. Late in his Giant career, 15,000 pennants were sold in his honor at a Giant home game.

Who is he?

dasher

This one requires serious hints. I'm now taking my wonderliquor test and the name Bob Tucker fogged in. I think he was on the Eagles taxi squad, but never their 45-53 man roster. Time for more Cabernet or to mow the lawn. And don't tell me Norm Snead is the answer or I'll protest to Retro.

retrojint

I couldn't get this one.  I even went back through the all-time roster last night while watching MLB's All-Star game.  I saw the guys who began their careers with the Rams, even Lynch with the Redskins.  Couldn't come up with it although the records from the earliest era of the league are hazy, and the war years are completely screwed up. 

15,00 pennants sold for the guy must mean he was one helluva man.  Dasher, Snead was traded to the Eagles for Jurgy.  They didn't do that to keep him on the bench.  Furthermore when Norman was on his second go-around with the Giants, I don't think you could have got 15000 sticks of gum purchased for him. 

dasher

I'm going to now go with that Bob Schnelker. I know he started with the Eagles as a backup before coming to the Giants and he made the Pro Bowl twice(prestegious award clue?). 15,000 pennants- don't know about that one.

bighitterdalama

Dasher,

Bob Schnelker is incorrect. 

Odd, I though that this question would last about five minutes. This guy is no historical footnote. He is an integral part of Giant history. Reread the original question. The answer lies within.

Brian

dasher

I must be looking at the question wrong. I have been concentrating on players who started with the Eagles and went to the Giants as players. Maybe I should be looking at Eagle backups who went to the Giants in capacities other than players? I did look up past Eagles rosters and looked diligently at them, but no names jumped out at me who later had Giant connections.
I admit defeat to this question!
You sure stumped me.

kartanoman

This one was tough but I figured it had to be a coach ... but I have to fess up that I had to double-check his profile just to be sure. The man in question played for the Eagles as a backup QB and DB from 1943-47, then retired and became Giants' backfield coach in 1949 until 1953. After other positions, he rejoined the Giants in 1957 as a scout and then became their offensive coordinator in 1959. He is best remembered as head coach of the Giants from 1961-68 where he was voted "NFL Coach of the Year" for seasons 1961 and 1962.

His name: Allie Sherman.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

dasher

Wow! Good job Kartonoman. I admit to having spent hours looking at every Eagles roster from 1950 to the present trying to find a player who later went to the Giants as a player. I found Bob Schnelker! Wrong answer. My mistake- thinking the question had to do with Giant players. I now assume the 15,000 pennants were the "Allie must go" ones?

LennG

Ah, -----the good old, "Allie Must Go"     days    <:-P <:-P
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss