News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Big Blue Huddle BBQ

Started by LennG, August 04, 2008, 12:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

As most already know, this past weekend was out annual trip to training camp and BBQ. To say it was a huge success would be putting it mildly.

For myself, being able to see some of my old friends again, made the experience at camp so much more than what it usually is. And being able to finally meet the Drakester, and the wonderful Mr Weeze, well, my life in now complete.

Just for my time there, which was Saturday night dinner and the full day on sunday, it was just too great for words. Why others here just don't take the time to join us, well, is beyond me. We have such a magnificent group of people, that anyone, no matter who, would be instantly at ease with this group.

Dinner on Saturday nite was great. And to make it even better, when we arrived at the place and mingled at the bar, who was sitting in the booth right behind us, Spags, his wife and Jesse Armstead. We really didn't want to bother them as they were eating, but finally, Mrs Rocky went over and introduced herself, and several other went over to shake their hands. Spags was so cordial, and had a big smile for everyone. Sorry same couldn't be said for Jesse, but it was a great pleasure to shake their hands.

Sunday we all met and sat together for the AM practice, with Spider doing play by play. It was MY first time seeing our Giants since the SB, and the experience is just magnificent.

The afternoon was spent at the near by park, where our annual BBQ takes place. As usual, we had so  much food, and about 6 grills going at one time. My hats off to all the chefs, everything was worthy of the Food Channel. Weeze kept his word and brought his famous fish which the Drakester cooked up as well as Emeral could have done. When I finally got around to having some, it was gone, but what I did taste, just mouth watering. AND, on a side note, the Weezer did keep his word to me, and brought some of HIS famous clear liquid that shall go nameless here, because in Northern territories, it is STILL illegal. Mixed a bit with Drakes famous Hazelnut Java that was brewed right in his hotel room, and I was sure to enjoy the rest of the day.
After, we were surprised when our 'guest' came by. Ralph V from the Daily News said he might stop by, and he did, and stayed for 2 1/2 hours with some terrific insight into the giants and how they are doing and what they are thinking. The time just flew by.

The evening practice was also great and the Giants really look  deep in several positions--WR, RB and even safety now. As was said in another thread, a guy like Dahl, who made the team last year, will be hard pressed to make this team in 08. Forget what you hear from the media,. the Giants will be right there in January, ready to defend their title.

There is so much more you can say about camp, as you observe so many things, but anyone who can make it there, should attempt it. From the fan friendly atmosphere, to the players signing autographs, to just watching whatever part of the team that catches your eye, it is a wonderful experience, and to share it with some great friends, well, the entire time will be long remembered.

To try and thank everyone who had a hand in making this event such a great experience will never work because I know I will leave out several names, so I just wanted to thank EVERYONE who was there for making this the BEST   BBH   BBQ   EVER.

Guys, tip of my cap to you all.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

I had a great time.  I always enjoy getting tigether with the BBH crew.  I am glad I got a chance to meet Weeze, Drake and Tucker.  I think dinner would have been better if I didn't have to resist the temptation of going over and bothering Spags and Jessie.  The BBQ was perfect.  The practices have been enjoyable. Again Ralph V is a great guy.   I hope we have an even bigger crowd next year. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

RemembersHuff

An absolute blast. No matter how many hours we have, it's never enough -- it always ends up with me wishing I could have spent a lot more time talking with everyone. 

What an outstanding group of people, it's a pleasure knowing you folks.

vette5573

Quote from: RemembersHuff on August 04, 2008, 03:03:39 PM
An absolute blast. No matter how many hours we have, it's never enough -- it always ends up with me wishing I could have spent a lot more time talking with everyone. 

What an outstanding group of people, it's a pleasure knowing you folks.

It always seems like the time goes by so fast. I wished I could have spent more time with some people too. Len's right, we are very fortunate to have such a great group of people. That especially includes the wives, who not only put up with it all, but contribute as well.

Kevin, I can't believe how well Jennifer and Alexis ( Porcupine and kemo Sabe to The Weeze and Drake) got along with your children. 

pagan43

This is my Big Blue Huddle BBQ experience:

In '05 my bigger-little brother (Boog Man), who lives in the damp, clammy bosom of Patriot-land, knowing that I was myself isolated in the foot hills on the edge of the foul home of the Eagles, told me about a place in cyber space that was populated by the best people on earth. He told me that they gathered there to discuss many things, but that they were dedicated particularly to our beloved New York Football Giants.

On his suggestion I logged on quietly and began to read. In no time flat I was logging on every day. I had found a window into a world populated by people who not only knew and understood my Big Blue heroes, but were willing to engage anyone in lively debate and friendly discussions on all points dark royal blue.

Then my brother told me that there was an annual summer pilgrimage to Albany to watch the G-men in training, and that it included a midday shindig worthy of attending. We made our plans and I drove through the night to meet him in the Capital District. There I had the equally great opportunity to put faces to the names of so many of these good people. We ate and drank like kings! Then, we left that place with the highest hopes for the season ahead.

I vowed to return the next year.

But budget kept me out of the '06 event none the less. I continued to read and write throughout the year however, watching the games on cable television. I was as disappointed as anyone to find the venue getting overrun by angry people and rude people and others who were recently arrived and woefully short on either intelligence or class.

To my welcome surprise I received an email alerting me to a new place in cyberspace, and an invitation to follow the best of the original people to that place. I did. And in the months to follow we were joined by more and more of the best people (who always arrived with a post that read; "So this is where you all are!"). New people found the place too, and it was all good.

Then, with all intents on returning to upstate in '07, I ended up living and working on the Asian subcontinent of India through the entire summer (which is not summer at all on that side if the earth, rather it is monsoon when the rain falls every day, sometimes all day). I would miss all of the training camp and preseason while away that year, but there was one saving grace; the faithful members of this internet community would post everything they saw and heard, report faithfully from Albany and they would scour all media outlets to cull the best tidbits from the vast stream of garbage. And, I could always find it right here.

My own posts would land here in the middle of the night, and I would have to wait until the next day for responses and comments. But that was OK, because in truth it was the efforts of this group that would keep me connected to my home, far away. I was alone, a stranger in a strange land. But, this bright shining Blue light was my solace in my solitude. And, most of you couldn't have even known how important you were to me during those humid days and nights on the Malabar coast.

This year, as summer approached, I carefully monitored the development of business in Asia, with one eye fixed on my calendar and the first weekend in August, hoping that it would find me near the headwaters of the Hudson again. And, I would again have the opportunity to see those people, renew that bond and perhaps meet some new-old friends as well.

I made that long, early morning drive last weekend, and in the first hours after sun rise, I met that group in the shady calm of the Dutch Quad parking lot. People I knew, but had never met like Tucker and SLG, and people I hadn't seen in years like MBlue and Rocky. Together we walked under the elms, past the tennis courts and the brightly painted Toyota's (2007 World Champion special editions), down through the breezeway between the training center and the admin building and out onto the training fields.

I had finally made it back to Albany, and every thing was right in my universe.

Spiderblue had made the trip from the Nutmeg State a week earlier, and had gotten intimate knowledge of the camp by the time the rest of us arrived. He knew that we would need to take the long walk, past the other fields, to the opening in the perimeter fence near the duck pond, and that we could then loop back to the only, little aluminum grandstand opened to the general public with the absolute perfect view of today's field of choice. We moved to them directly, well in advance of the throng.

His wisdom didn't disappoint, as we all had either a prime place in the grandstand or the opportunity to unfold a chair in the very first row against the partition fence. Eventually a few hundred people would follow our path across that soggy meadow, but they would all have to stand behind the Big Blue Huddlers.

The early practice did not disappoint as well, and when it ended we all made our way to the park for the official get-together. A few of the most dedicated members of the group (Retro and Vette), lead by those that were actually home in this valley (RemebersHuff and Giantsguy) had arrived in advance and the charcoal fires were already glowing red in the cast steel barbecues. In no time at all the wonderfull smells of roasting meats filled the air!

The music was playing, cold beverages began to flow and snacks where being munched as the whole group assembled for the first time under those towering oaks. Many glad handshakes were exchanged and old friendships were rekindled, some between people who had engaged in many long, detailed conversations and debates with each other, but they had never actually met before today. It was an amazing magic that took place there, with the cool breeze blowing off of Lake Rensileer.

The cooks must now be congratulated for their superb efforts to fill our bellies with yummy goodness (Webster, Huff, Vette and Drake). I offer a most sincere apology if I missed anyone, and I blame the fog of forgetfulness on Weezer's gator squeezin's. That elixir, while properly served in a mason jar, had both the aroma and flavor of a the little disposable pads a nurse uses to disinfect skin prior to an injection. The effect it has on the mind is also reminiscent of a cold shot, as well.

The non-cooks should then be congratulated for providing absolutely everything else that was required from munchies and pop, to plates and napkins, to ice and beer, to bottled water and cakes, and all other manner of items that amazingly popped up ready for consumption when ever it was required. It was no accident, and it was perfect!

A note about the blue cookie: That was a concotion of my daughter and I, she having baked it and I having decorated it with the now iconic image of Big Blue Huddlers. While attempting to get pre-made vanilla icing to turn the proper shade of dark royal blue, I used far too much food coloring. Even after two whole bottles of dye went into the mixing bowl, all I could get was a somewhat more robust shade of sky blue. However, we discovered that the abundance of pigment in the icing provided it with a potency to stain both skin and teeth that far exceeded it's own mild color.

Sorry about that.

I trust you will all believe me when I say that the cookie's power to turn things blue did not simply fade after the initial consumption, but it retained its unusual power to turn all things into a shade of azure throughout the entire digestive cycle (if you know what I mean).

The arrival of Ralph Vachiano allowed us the opportunity to actually form up into a Big Blue Huddle (imagine that!)and engage this most engaging man with all sorts of questions about our beloved men in Blue. Honest to his style, he was a pure, straight shooter. And, his dedication to professionally following the Giants, his honesty and his willingness to share with us will long be remembered.

His promise to return next year was a testament to his comfort with our group, his good taste and the welcoming environment we make when we are all together in the same place.

Which brings me to the topic of suggesting that every member of this internet community makes their plans to be part of this wonderful gathering of fans and family next year. It would be great to put even more faces to names, to finally meet some of the good buddies I have out there that I have never had the great opportunity to meet yet, and to share another good time under the New York skies with the best people on earth.

pagan43

LennG

Dave

You should be writing for a living. You, with words of awe, have painted a picture of exactly what we did and how we felt.

It was just a pleasure meeting you. I'm just sorry we didn't have more time to spend getting to know each other.

Kudo's, my friend, for a masterful post.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

terrymeisner

that was a great post, dave.....

and a great point made about the "big blue huddle" around ralph v....i missed last years event as my son got married that weekend and i feel as though i missed most of this year by being ill,  but i cant wait to book some holiday time come next aug....go Giants!!!!!

giantsguy

What everyone else said.  It was truly a great time and so good to see everyone and meet new friends.  Ed, Kevin, well done putting this together, it's no easy task.
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

Zombo

I've never met any of you guys but read all your stuff religiously.

I admit to a little envy when reading all the recaps of the BBQ and the whole scene there. Sounds like a great time was had by all.

terrymeisner

zombo....you should make it a point to get to albany next year....you would never regret it

it doesnt matter what age group you are, as we have people that range from kids to oldtimers (sorry lenn)....and we all treat each other as if we were family....which we are.....go Giants!!!!!

slg11

OK, I'll throw my two cents in. Slg1 & SLG2 had a wonderful time. Next year we might spend a couple of extra days in the area. It was a blast meeting all the names that we talk to online & their friends and family. I can testify Chef Drake does a bang up job with chicken and fish. The BBH giant cookie is also worthy of mention. When you discuss football with this bunch you better bring your A game.

As a sidenote to Lenn- there was an accident on the thruway so I got stuck in traffic anyway.

Zombo

Terry....sounds like a great idea to me...thanks

LennG

Sorry slg.
Again, if you ever make it to my neck of the woods, give me a ring and we'll have dinner or something.

And for Iamboo and the rest, I said it in another thread and I will say it again, this picnic/BBQ/training camp is an EVENT. If you look at it in the same frame as a wedding, or any other family function you would not miss, then there is no excuse for not being there. We do this at about the same dates every year, so look at next years calender and figure the first weekend in August and pencil it in. We usually make a decision at least 4-5 months away, so there is plenty of time to make any plans. Rooms in Albany Are not expensive, and there is so much to do in that area.
It is just a grand time, and each year something happens that seems to make THAT particular year even better than the previous one.
This is not just another day to try and do something. So many people come from so far away to be here, and I wish everyone who posts on this board could come. I guarantee a great time. And now that the 'java man' and the 'weezer geezer' have had a taste of Northern hospitality once again, I hope they will be regulars again.
Make you plans NOW.

Charlie Weiss

drakew

The tru blu fan just got home from another long day dealing with the media infrastructure he has to repair/tweak/plain out-n-out  fix. "I came into camp a totally stressed guy due to the local hit-n-run Friday, which uplinked live to CBS NEWSPATH and CNN, I was there to help the cops put up the coptape. To have the BBH accept me just walking in, as if I was just another guy with my evil twin the WEEZE, and the fact that the French Lemon chicken turned out very well (How did I get volunteered for the chicken anyway?) it was the best of days, the best of times!

Only better, was a brief moment of time with my Huddle brethren at Saratoga, where we all won big on the first race, and spent the rest of the day trying to repent for our sin of gambling by donating all our money back to the track! A clear Andirondack day, with cloudbursts flooding the highways on our way home!

Few people realize how wonderful Rich and Lennman are, I ate right next to the guy who is good as Gold, I should have gotten the onion soup, I was gonna reach over with the BIGGGG SPPOOOON and scoop up all the really good provolone.  Of Course, Retro and Spidey  killed me with the clams!

I flew many hundreds of miles, put up with Newark going back, just to be with Boog and his brother Pagan, Huff (who looks like a dear old bass player friend of mine, unto who I swore I would NEVER cut my hair (It had reached my butt) but I did anyway just for shits and giggles,  Rocky and his wonderful wife, Terry Meisner and his reduced digestive tract; Retro whom is a brother, I knew what he looked like before I ever met him, and when we did, it was a lock, like yeah man here's the beer...
Oh, Huff, I wanna cook the axes next year with you! Acoustic or Electric? I will pack for either! Just tell me which way ya wanna play!

GiantsGuy is keen and sharp, he is the one really nice guy I met I would never get into an argument with, as he seems far too sharp and quick, like an old straight razor, easy to live with, but do NOT step back against it, especially at an angle, he will cut you up like a knife!

Mighty understands how it is when underpaid weekend board-ops call the engineer and say "it is 89 degrees in master control, we can't get the computers to run....."
and ya have to run into work and FIX a $200,000 commercial air conditioning unit to keep you 'on the air': infrastrucure is every thing!l
I will bring my best girl next year, she asked (of course about Carole and Steve) of SLG AND SLG2.  She would have loved the Mr Tongue!"
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

Webster29

Wow.  What eloquent lines.  You guys are sure a tough act to follow.  So I'll just jot down a few of my thoughts. 

We had a great time in Albany.  Got to play some golf.  Food was great.  The motel we stayed at was confortable and pretty low priced.  Saved a little money on gas too as it was right across the street from the practice fields.

The practices were interesting to say the least.  It was a great feeling to look out on the field and let the thought sink in that we were watching the SUPER BOWL CHAMPS. 

And isn't spider a wealth of information.  The guy is amazing.  I just love to listen to him.  No wonder some of the bbi'ers thought he was a big time sports writer.

We were originally going to go to Saratoga Race Track with the guys.  But my son asked about going to Yankee Stadium that Saturday to watch the Angles play the Yanks.  I told him it would be a tough ticket as that was Old Timers Day.  Well I found a couple of tickets on ebay.  They were expensive but I had never been to Old Timers Day and also wanted to see the REAL  Yankee Stadium one more time in person so we went.  Man was it worth it.  If your a Yankee fan and have never been to an OTD you must get to one.  If you don't you are cheating yourself of a fantastic experience.

So then comes Sunday and we top off the vacation with a great bbq with friends we had not seen for a while and new friends who we are looking forward to seeing again.  What a time.  I am not a fish eater but Weeze's trout was fabulous.  My son had to take a picture of me eating fish.  Thought he would never see the day.  All the food was great.  And I washed it all down with Terry's Moose Head.  (Terry:  next year if you bring the Moose Head I'll bring the Brador.  I have a little ol lady that smuggles it in from Canada).

And Ralph Vacchiano.  Icing on the cake.  He mesmerized us with his insider take on the world of Big Blue.  My thanks to Rich and Lenn for arranging his visit.

And my thanks to everyone for making this bbq what it has become.  A major high lite of the year.

I get kidded at work by many of my co-workers who know how passionate I am about the Giants.  Good natured of course.  And one of the guys who gives it to me the worst told me how lucky I was to belong to a group of fans who has a get together like we do.  He thought it was great.  I agree.

To you people who have never made the trip.  Don't just think about it.  Start planing now to attend next years bash.  You won't be disappointed and you won't find yourself a few years down the road kicking yourself for never making the trip. Here is to an ever bigger bash next year.