News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Obscure trivia question from the 1986 season ...

Started by kartanoman, July 14, 2007, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

I was converting the 1986 Giants-Raiders game to DVD last night and couldn't believe my eyes in what I witnessed. I thought this would make a great trivia question.

1) Name the Raiders' offensive player who caught some passes against the Giants in the 1986 matchup between the two teams. HINT: this player played his final professional football game for the Giants and will forever be known for a play he made in his final game.

2) Identify the final game in which he played and why he went down in history.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

bighitterdalama

Chris,

Did he attend the same college as Terry Bradshaw?

kartanoman

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

retrojint

Kart:  The Raiders have always been my AFL-AFC team.  This has to be Trey Junkin who was a pretty good tight end back then.  Remembered in ignominy for his bad snap against the Niners in the playoff loss in San Francisco --02 season.   

kartanoman

Retro and Brian - you're both all over this one and good on ya!

It was interesting seeing him in there and catching two or three passes early on in the game. Needless to say, who would've thought this same individual would be standing on center stage for the Giants, some 16 seasons later, and partake in a play that will forever go down in infamy in Giant annals - a sad and unjust ending to what was otherwise a solid and successful career.

Peace!

retrojint

Kart:  I never blamed this guy for a moment for what happened.  He came out of retirement to help the ballclub.  I read an article afterward about how terribly he was taking the loss.  If he had a web-site I was going to send him an E-Mail to tell him to relax.  The fans understood.  So did the players.  Plus they should have had another opportunity if the PI on Seubert would have been called. 

kartanoman

Retro - I wholeheartedly agree with you and would like to add punter Matt Allen to that list as he took far more heat than was warranted despite the fact he didn't execute to plan (there WAS a plan, wasn't there?).

Without delving into that debacle again, the root cause was systemic in nature and that's why the team is where it is today (i.e. new direction with the "mouths" on the team slowly departing one by one).

Peace!

spiderblue43

kartman,

TE Trey Junkin, the snapper from hell.