News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Formation Of The Big Three

Started by Wolverine1975, August 14, 2008, 03:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolverine1975

During the midway point of the 1976 season, coach Bill Arnsparger was ousted in favor of John McVay.  Also during that period, a switcheroo took place in the linebacking corps which, unforeseen at the time, would turn out to be one of the greatest gambles the Giants would ever make. 

BENCHING ANGERS HUGHES
by Vinny DiTrani

(from The Bergen Record, October 20, 1976)

PLEASANTVILLE, NY--Bill Arnsparger is playing the melodramatics again, holding off the announcement of any Giant lineup changes for Sunday's home game with the Steelers.

He dropped some hints yesterday, however.  It looks like Craig Morton will be back at quarterback, and Larry Mallory or Rick Volk will be at free safety, with Jim Stienke at the corner.

One of last week's moves, however, has passed the melodramatics and become a permanent one.  Rookie Harry Carson will again start at middle linebacker, with Brian Kelley on the weak side.  Pat Hughes remains on the bench, and wondering.

"I had a discussion with Bill about it," said Hughes, referring to his benching.  "But the explanation was not satisfactory, at least not in my mind.

"He said it was a 'lack of intensity.' But how do you measure intensity?  On a Richter Scale?  I'm just looking for a concrete reason, that's all."

Linebacker coach Marty Schottenheimer explained the move behind getting Carson, of whom big things are expected, into the lineup.  "He's just too good to stay on the bench," said Schottenheimer. 

Carson did well against the Vikings, although he made the expected rookie mistakes.  With an 0-6 record, the Giants have nothing to lose by giving Carson the experience he needs to become a top middle linebacker. 

"I'm sure they're set and that's the way they'll be playing," said Hughes, referring to the linebacking trio of Kelley, Carson and Brad Van Pelt.

"But I still have confidence in my ability and I'll show anyone in my game films.  All I want to do is play, and four plays doesn't make it."

Hughes was in on four goal-line plays against the Vikings in his first sit-down performance since he gained starting status six years ago.  "All the time I've been here it's been nothing but losing," said Hughes.  "But in all that time I've tried to do something about it.  I've tried to win my part of the battle.

"Now to sit down, or to be made to sit down, it hurts, with a capital H.  It's my instinct to fight back now and show them what I can do.  But it's tough to do that in four plays."

Arnsparger said he'd expect Hughes to be upset by the move, just like he'd expect any player to be irritated by a benching.  "All leopards have spots," said Hughes, "but not all human beings have the same emotions and feelings.  And I just don't like to be jerked around on a string like that."

MightyGiants

If it were not for LT, the trio of Carson, Kelly and Van Pelt would have been known as the greast Giants linebacking corp.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE