News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dasher's trivia question 7/17

Started by dasher, July 17, 2007, 04:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher

In honor of my 66th birthday, here is my first attempt at trivia questions. Here goes the questions, all relating to the 1956 title game with da Bears-
1-  The opening kickoff was returned by what Giant and for how many yards? This run was a huge tipoff as to field conditions that day.
2- The Giants wore sneakers. What Giant player personally ordered 48 pair of US Keds that were the difference makers for traction. What does this person do today?
3- There were 15 people involved in the game for the Giants and Bears (not all players) who made the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Name them.
4- Added bonus. What famous sports history event took place on the same field approximately three months earlier?

MightyGiants

I don't know a single answer Dasher, but i do wish you happy birthday.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bighitterdalama

Dasher,

Happy Birthday!

As to your trivia questions:

1) I misread this question as thinking that the opening KO went for a touchdown. I was pretty sure that Mel Triplett scored the Giants first touchdown, but on a running play. I looked it up, and I was right: Triplett went off tackle for a 17 yard touchdown run to give the Giants an opening drive lead of 7-0. But that does not the question, and, in looking it up, I now know the answer. So I will defer.

2) Andy Robustelli ordered the sneakers. Andy utilized business connections in Connecticut to order the 48 pairs of Keds on short notice. I am not sure what Andy does today, but he was always a sharp businessman.

3) I believe that I have 13 HOFers:

Rosie Brown
Frank Gifford
Andy Robustelli
Sam Huff
Emlen Tunnell
Doug Adkins
Bill George
George Blanda
Vince Lombardi
Tom Landry
Tim Mara
Wellington Mara
George Halas

I will think about the last two . . .

4) Don Larsen's 1956 World Series Perfect Game, played at Yankee Stadium, October 10, 1956.

Big Hitter

dasher

Big Hitter- You are sure da man! I need to clarify the 15 HOF'ers question. They were either players or coaches on the field that day. So, take out the 2 Maras and George Halas, meaning you need 5 more. You did get the Giants in totality by the way, so I'm looking for 5 more Bears. Wow, in thinking about it- what a game in terms of future HOF'ers- 18 including the forementioned owners.
Andy today still owns a succesful sports marketing/ travel agency in Stamford, CT per the information I have.
And I can still see Pell Mel Triplett on his way to the end zone on his TD run. What a memory!

Webster29

I can add 1 Bear to the list but my answer is slightly tainted.  I had forgotten that John (Paddy) Driscoll was their head coach for that game.  But when I read that he was I did remember he was in the HOF.

dasher

Yes, Head Coach Paddy Driscoll is correct. Four to go- 3 coaches and 1 player.

Webster29

dasher:   I'll take a shot at one more.  Was Sid Luckman on the coaching staff in 56??

dasher

Yes, indeed he was. Sid Luckman was QB coach.
3 to go- 2 assistant coaches under Paddy and 1 player- hint, think OL.
Of the coaches, one coached the centers and had a colorful nickname- especially with Mike Vick in the news.
The other coachs' specialty was defensive line I believe since that was his playing position.

bighitterdalama

Dasher,

To finish off your questions:

Gene Filipski returned the opening kickoff 53 yards to the Bear 38.

OT Stan Jones is the last Bear player missing from the HOF list. This Maryland alum played 13 years in the NFL, the first twelve of which were with the Bears. A true iron man, Jones played in all but two games for the Bears in the eleven years spanning '54-'64. Jones played in seven Pro Bowls. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1991.

I will have to venture a guess at the two remaining Bear coaches (both of whom made the HOF as players):

Clyde Douglas "Bulldog" Turner is the OL coach. This Hardin-Simmons grad played with the Bears from 1940-1952. He was inducted into the Hall in 1966.

George Conner is the DL coach. A graduate of Notre Dame, he played for the Bears from 1948-1955. He was inducted into the Hall in 1975.

dasher

BigHitter,

Thanks for finishing off the remaining answers to my question. As usual, you are spot on! You nailed all the remaining HOF'ers from the Bears sideline and got Gene Filipski as the Giant with the long opening kickoff return that set the tone for the entire game. The sneakered Giants got traction, the cleated Bears didn't.
By the way, would you have gotten my Heisman question today and given me yet another correct set of highschoolers like kart did? You guys are nearly impossible to stump.

dasher

bighitterdalama

dasher

Great picture BigHitter,
Special teams play? Any clue as to the ballcarrier he dehelmeted?

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: dasher on July 22, 2007, 04:06:38 PM
Great picture BigHitter,
Special teams play? Any clue as to the ballcarrier he dehelmeted?

It appears to be a Pittsburg Steeler helmet/Uni from the time.  I don't think its John Henry Johnson since he played for Pitt when NYG's had NYG on helmet

I am guessing RB/KR/PR/K Gene Mingo or  DB/PR/KR Johnny Sample.