News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Last minute question ... help much appreciated

Started by Derach, September 11, 2008, 10:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derach

Our youth football team (5th & 6th grade) is facing a spread offense this weekend.  We play out of a 5-3 base.  Any info on defending against 3 and 4 wideout sets (preferably HS or youth ... we don't play any complicated zone defenses) would be much appreciated.  Any internet searches have only resulted in pay sights or people trying to sell videos. 

I don't mind OpEd pieces, I am smart enough to discern useful information pertinent to our kids and fluff that doesn't apply ... but it's all interesting ... so any help in guiding me to some info on defending spread or shotgun offenses would be useful.

Thanx.

retrojint

Geez, Derach, if you find something, please forward it to Greg Robinson at Syracuse University, will ya?   :sick:He is clueless about defending it.  I'd imagine that at the level you're coaching, your opposition will have a strong, fast kid at quarterback.  Their running attack will be primarily a two-man game between the qb and rb that will resemble the old belly series.  Have to think that you should play assignment football there.  Designate one defender to take the quarterback, another to handle the back.  The boundary defender gets the rb.  The inside guy the qb.  Their passing game will probably feature the quick-screen, two-man game.  One of those receivers will be a designated blocker.  I meant to ask Red this:  I think it should be offensive PI when they block when the ball is in the air, but it's never called that way. 

I'd imagine in 5-6 grade, you are limited on how many guys can rush the passer.  Do you have modified rules?  I saw a high school game last week that had one team using the spread.  Basically they took the best athlete on the team--big kid, fast, strong, shifty--and turned him loose against a thinned out defensive box.  They threw about 12 passes, none was more than 15 yards in the air. 

I'll check to see if I can find you an Internet site.