News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dasher's trivia question 7/18

Started by dasher, July 18, 2007, 12:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher

Not a Giants trivia, but one I found interesting nevertheless. What are the odds of one high school producing 2 Heisman Trophy winners? Not very likely, I'd say. Plus, these players both played the same position. So Giant fans, name these two winners, their position, and the High School they graduated from.

kartanoman

Good question ... but a little tricky if you want to be REALLY technical!

The answer you're looking for is John Huarte and Matt Leinart who both played quarterback for Mater Dei in Santa Ana, California.

That said, on a technicality, the only other high school to produce two Heisman winners is also the correct answer - that being Davey O'Brien and Tim Brown who played for Woodrow Wilson High School in Dallas.  The technicality is that O'Brien was a quarterback (hence the Davey O'Brien award - given for the best QB in collegiate football) but Timmy Brown, on the other hand, played a myriad of positions. Though he was primarily a defensive back in high school, Tim also had played the quarterback position which, technically, makes the pair eligible for the correct answer to your question.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

dasher

Wow, kartanoman!
What an answer. You are absolutely correct in that Huarte and Leinart were the answers I was seeking. The additional duo you presented obviously would also be technically accurate.  I had no clue about Tim and Davey!
Thanks for the wonderful information and the pictures. They were boss.
I can see I am no match for you, Big Hitter, or Retro. But I'll continue to try to stump the experts!
Namaste,
dasher