News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What is the story behind the Baby Bulls?

Started by MightyGiants, October 10, 2008, 08:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I have to confess that I really don't know much about them, other than they were Giants running backs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Wolverine1975

I don't know much about them, but I think Tucker Frederickson was one of them when he came to the Giants in 1965.

Sam56

Went online and found this:

"I believe two of them were Tucker Fredrickson and Steve Thurlow.
The others were:

Ernie Koy

Chuck Mercein

Ernie Weelright

Smith Reed"

Kmed6000

It's too bad BabyBulls doesn't post over here.  He really would and should fit into this group.  Who better to ask than him?

spiderblue43

This really predates my Giant experience, although fans I knew then told me their thoughts. Ernie Wheelwright was on the team prior to the arrival of Tuck, Chuck and Thurlow. Reed played for one year and was gone, I believe. Wheelwright was an expansion pickup by the Saints later. EW was noted for forgetting the plays often. Not too bright. Koy wasn't a bull as I remember. A halfback/option type in the Gifford mold that also punted.

Of course, we all know Mercein was cut by the Giants only later to star for a brief moment in the Ice Bowl last-minute drive for the Pack. Tuck was badly injured in the preseason of 66 and never regained his gallop. Thurlow I have no idea about. He did play a lot in 65. Those years are like a black hole in Giants history. I never have learned very much about those years (64,65,66). The Tark trade was my first memory.

President Rick

at the time, RB's at 220-230 lbs were almost unheard of, so when the Giants drafted Fredrickson and added Koy, Mercein, etc, all guys 220 +, someone dubbed them the baby bulls.  not a one of them could run like Brandon jacobs though.

Also, Frederickson was an all american LB and FB in college [auburn??].  the injuries ruined his career but he was never more than an average RB in the nfl.  He didn't have the speed.

That year when the Giants took Tucker, I believe they passed on a couple of guys named Joe Namath and Gale Sayers.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

bighitterdalama

I posted this a bit ago. I can't remember how to dupe it into this thread, so I will have to post a link.

http://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php/topic,478.0.html

Big Hitter

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

NapoleonBlownapart

Please don't forget to add Joe Don Looney to this group of baby bulls! 

He was the very first Baby Bull drafted....and never played a regular season game for the Giants