News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Worst Giant Kicker Ever

Started by spiderblue43, October 23, 2008, 11:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

Bob Timberlake. Once a very good Michigan QB that won a Rose Bowl over Oregon State, he fell into the PK duties because of an injury in 1965. Although he had hit a 43-yarder to help beat the Steelers 23-13 earlier, he went 0 for 14 (1-15/6.7 FG percentage). He only missed 1 extra point. He put the thrill back into the extra point!

Oldtimers: Can you remember any games from 65' that he might have screwed up? Then went 7-7 that year. And how maddening was it to watch him botch attempts over and over again compared to today's almost automatic percentages?

kartanoman

spider - everything you wanted to know about Timberlake but were afraid to ask:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Timberlake

I'll check the Giants' 1965 season highlight and see if Jack Whitaker covers any games that Timberlake, as you say, "screwed up."

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Wolverine1975

I don't know anything about Timberlake since my knowledge of the Giants starts roughly around 1969, but George Hunt, who was the kicker for the 1975 season, had his share of inexcusable mediocrity.  He actually beat out long-time kicker Pete Gogolak, who the Giants let go of two weeks before the start of the '75 season.  Then-coach Bill Arnsparger thought Hunt was kicking better than Gogolak in training camp.  Ditto Jim O'Brien, the former Colt kicker, who also was there for the 1975 training camp.  Fortunately the Giants got a miracle in Joe Danelo, who played from 1976-82.

Giant Obsession

Here you go.....all the information you could ever want...and some lovely video too.

From the 4:30 mark on...............

NFL's Lost Seasons - 3 of 3

Mike out
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

jimv

Great thread!  I remember Timberlake but to be perfectly honest, I have no recollection of how putrid he was as a kicker.  Oh well... Redfaced 

NapoleonBlownapart

Timberlake was the worst..here are a few others

Booth Lusteg -  whom came in to cover when Gogolak had to miss a few games in 1967 due to Army issues...Allie Sherman was relieved in 1968 preseason when Gogolak informed him that he would get to every game via furlough, Lusteg cut immediately

George Hunt - mentioned above, the last straight toe kicker for the NYG's, went 6-11 on FG tries but even more disturbing, Hunt had many PAT's and FG's blocked, I believe 3 in opening season 23-14 win @ Philly.

Eric Schubert/Joe Cooper/Jess Atkinson - 3 poor kickers that bridged the Ali Hagi Shank & Raul Allegre years

Giant Jim

The Giants signed Pete Gogolak from the AFL because Well Mara (and probably Sherman too) felt they lost a lot of games in '65 because of bad kicking. The signing upset both AFL & NFL owners and led to more serious discussions about a merger.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: NapoleonBlownapart on May 13, 2021, 03:10:08 PM
Timberlake was the worst..here are a few others

Booth Lusteg -  whom came in to cover when Gogolak had to miss a few games in 1967 due to Army issues...Allie Sherman was relieved in 1968 preseason when Gogolak informed him that he would get to every game via furlough, Lusteg cut immediately

George Hunt - mentioned above, the last straight toe kicker for the NYG's, went 6-11 on FG tries but even more disturbing, Hunt had many PAT's and FG's blocked, I believe 3 in opening season 23-14 win @ Philly.

Eric Schubert/Joe Cooper/Jess Atkinson - 3 poor kickers that bridged the Ali Hagi Shank & Raul Allegre years

Nap,

Booth Lusteg was the kicker buffalo used after Gogolak left.

Les Murdock, a straight ahead kicker from Florida State was the K the Gmen used the first few games of 1967 until Gogo arranged for weekend passes to allow him to kick for the remainder of the season.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

kartanoman

Let's also not forget, during the 1987 Replacement Players games, that George Benyola completely mastered the art of incompetence during the much-forgettable Giants-Bills game where both he, and opponent kicker Todd Schopy for the Bills, missed a combined five (5) FGs. Benyola could have won it at the end of regulation and also in OT. As ugly a kicking effort you'll find in a game that remains one of the worst I've seen as a Giant fan.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/10/19/The-New-York-Giants-original-hopes-of-defending-their/3320561614400/

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Jim

Quote from: kartanoman on October 11, 2021, 03:52:50 PM
Let's also not forget, during the 1987 Replacement Players games,
I'd like to forget them.