News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Kid From Morehead State Was Poised To Be Our Terry Bradshaw

Started by Wolverine1975, November 07, 2008, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolverine1975

from THE BERGEN RECORD, August 8, 1979

ANOTHER TERRY BRADSHAW?

by Vinny DiTrani

PLEASANTVILLE, N.Y.--Ten years ago, the Steelers and Giants met in the preseason game that opened Three Rivers Stadium.  One of the stars of the 21-6 Steeler victory was a heralded, blond, rookie quarterback who threw a long touchdown pass.
  The Giants, Steelers, and Terry Bradshaw all will be back at Three Rivers Saturday night for the 10th anniversary of the stadium.  The game, however, will spotlight another heralded, blond, rookie quarterback who will be making his debut for the Giants.
  Ironically, when Phil Simms became the famous "Phil Who?" of the 1979 draft, the Giants' immediate reaction was to compare him to Bradshaw, who in his first 10 years out of Louisiana Tech has led the Steelers to three Super Bowl championships. 
  "When I think of the Steelers, I don't think about Bradshaw," Simms said yesterday as he prepared for his debut against the man he idolized most amongst NFL quarterbacks.  "He hasn't even crossed my mind.  I have to think about the Steelers' defense.  They do a lot of things, a lot of stunts, and I'm really going to have to be on my toes against them."
  Simms was held out of last Saturday's opening exhibition with the Browns.  Head coach Ray Perkins says the No. 1 draft pick from Morehead State and free agent Fred Besana will play the bulk of the game against the Steelers.  "I haven't decided how I'm going to split it yet," he said.  "I should know by Thursday."
  Simms says he doesn't know how much he'll play and whether he'll start the game.  All he's sure about is that he will play some and that he's anxious to give it a try.
  "The last 10 days I've really felt like I've improved a great deal," said Simms, who conceded he got off to a slow start in training camp.  "It took me a while to adjust to the new environment, new people, new routines.  Now I'm getting settled and concentrating bettereach practice."
  Simms talked near the riding stables at the Giants' Pace University training camp during yesterday's lunch break.  As he spoke, Gary Jeter, once a No. 1 draft pick himself, sauntered by and offered to serve as the quarterback's publicity man.  "I'll get you on the cover of Time magazine," Jeter promised.
  Then Brad Van Pelt strolled by and offered some juicy tidbits.  "Joe Pisarcik's too much of a playboy; Randy Dean's too straight.  What else can we say?" the veteran linebacker said with a laugh as Simms just shook his head.
  "I think the players here have accepted me," Simms said seriously.  "For a while they were feeling me out, and I was feeling them out.  But now I feel like one of the guys.  At least I like to think they've accepted me."
  And Simms also is learning to cope with the media attention that comes with his No. 1 selection.  "Some days I just don't have the time to talk with people, but they insist," he said.  "And it gets on my nerves.  I don't mind talking when I have the time, but there have been a few occasions when it has become a hassle."
  There has been improvement on all levels for Simms, but the one he most cherishes is the improvement on the field.  "The first few days I'd throw the ball well in the warmups and then couldn't throw at all in the drills," he said.  "But lately I've been throwing well throughout practice.  And, just as important, I've been picking up the reads.  The mental part is just as tough as the physical part."
  With Perkins, the mental part may be even tougher.  The new coach said he places the mind over the arm in his quarterback priorities.  Until Simms is mentally ready, he won't be the Giants' No. 1 quarterback.
  "I haven't set any timetable for myself, because really the whole thing isn't up to me," Simms said.  "I want to play, but I know the others have the experience edge over me.  How soon I get to play will depend upon them.  If they have a hard time, then I'll get my chance."
  Perkins hasn't offered any hints as to how his quarterbacks are shaping up.  "He doesn't say much to us either," said Simms.  "But I can feel that I've improved the last few days.  And I think the other players can see that improvement in me, too."
  Bradshaw wound up throwing 218 passes his rookie season of 1970 after beating out veterans Kent Nix and Terry Hanratty for the Steelers' starting job.  Whether Simms will throw nearly that many times for the Giants this years remains to be seen.

kartanoman

Good article, Rob ... thanks for posting!

Ironically, I have that 1970 pre-season game on DVD ... the official opener of Three Rivers Stadium. Tarkenton didn't play for the Giants that day as he was being held out as a precautionary measure for an injury. Instead, the golden arm of Dick Shiner was featured in NY's attack and, as you can see by the final score, was a little lackluster to say the very least! Tarkenton gave a pretty good interview on the sidelines between plays, though.

It's funny but I remember the 1979 pre-season game very well although I don't have a video copy of it. It ended at 10-3 Steelers but Simms played very well as I recall. 

I was 10 at the time but remember how excited my father was about Simms and that he used to tell me that he is going to be for the Giants what Bradshaw was to the Steelers ... perhaps he even read Vinny's article back in the day before he told me that!

Sure enough, 10 years after that pre-season game at Three Rivers, Simms already had one NFL Championship and was gearing the club up for another.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Iamboo

From what I remember, they thought that Simms would be another Bradshaw in that "he is as tough as nails...he'll play 10 years and never get hurt".

Unfortunately the latter part of that prediction was badly flawed.  Simms seemed to spend more time on IR than on the field his first few years in the NFL.  He was tough as nails though; that toughness and willingness to hang in the pocket became his trademark, and defnitely contributed to his success in the NFL and respect among his peers.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus, 1st century stoic

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: kartanoman on November 13, 2008, 04:30:55 PM
Good article, Rob ... thanks for posting!

Ironically, I have that 1970 pre-season game on DVD ... the official opener of Three Rivers Stadium. Tarkenton didn't play for the Giants that day as he was being held out as a precautionary measure for an injury. Instead, the golden arm of Dick Shiner was featured in NY's attack and, as you can see by the final score, was a little lackluster to say the very least! Tarkenton gave a pretty good interview on the sidelines between plays, though.

It's funny but I remember the 1979 pre-season game very well although I don't have a video copy of it. It ended at 10-3 Steelers but Simms played very well as I recall. 

I was 10 at the time but remember how excited my father was about Simms and that he used to tell me that he is going to be for the Giants what Bradshaw was to the Steelers ... perhaps he even read Vinny's article back in the day before he told me that!

Sure enough, 10 years after that pre-season game at Three Rivers, Simms already had one NFL Championship and was gearing the club up for another.

Peace!

I was 15 yrs old at the time of the 1979 draft and my Dad said the same thing "it looks like they got another Bradshaw!"

a very hot (90+) opening day 1980 @ Busch Stadium a 41-35 shootout win over the Crudinals, Simms throws 5 TD passes, 4 to Earnest All the way Gray, my Dad turns to me as the Crudinal fans are booing loudly "they finally got a QB, they finally got a QB"...how true that was