News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Very good article on Middle LB prospects and the short shuttle

Started by MightyGiants, March 20, 2009, 12:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Here is a sample

QuoteWhen evaluating the middle linebacker position, the first and most important aspect to note is the prospect
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

I'm glad someone wrote this article.  I've stated the same thing many times in previous offseasons.  Reaction time is much more important than foot speed.

I'll use my boxing analogy.  It was Jack Dempsey, I believe, who once said that he could beat most opponents to the punch even though there were many people who had faster handspeed.  Most others did not possess the abiliy to react to openings as quickly.

You could run a 4.2 but if you're feet are stuck in place because you cant tell what's happening then it's worthless.

The processing of information takes time.  I think most people may realize this but i think the vast majority of people truly do not understand that there is a time delay between brain and body that can be significant if its not trained.  It is not negligible.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

PSUBeirut

I couldn't agree with this article more, and have said so much every time this topic comes up.  The short shuttle is the definitive LB agility test, especially for MLB.  That plus game tape gives you a great idea on a LB prospect.

MightyGiants

What I took away from the article is a new found respect for:

James Laurinaitis, Ohio State (6-2, 244), short-shuttle: 4.24
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

If you liked that Mighty wait till you see his numbers from his pro day:

ILB James Laurinaitis (6-2, 242) improved on his 4.76 40 time at the NFL Combine with a 4.72. He looked smooth during position drills and also lowered his short-shuttle time to 4.18 seconds.

Now thats what I'm talking about.

PSUBeirut

President Rick

I was thinking the same thing, Mighty Giants.  Here in Buckeye country I have seen JL play a lot and he always seems to be quick to the ball.  He is a good hitter and a better elader.  Also fairly smart they say, and seems fairly articulate in interviews.  basically a good kid who is also a fine athlete.  Nice NYGiants prospect in my book, esp. in a year where I'd be looking MLB in round one, even if i had to [gulp, I'm going to day it] move up 5-9 slots to get him.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

beaugestus

Thanks Rich, I was debating on JL and noticed his shuttle time and felt at the time it was more important than a 40 time.

bigblueinclearbluenc

This article tells me that we're OK with Pierce at MLB, even though he lost a step. His smarts and knowing what's happening is more important. He lines up the defense and has them in position to make the play and does react accurately towards the play. He needs speedy OLB's and we're set. That also speaks highly for Blackburn as a solid back up. He's smart and reads the play. He just doesn't have the speed to play outside.

XNYrnLA

Quote from: bigblueinclearbluenc on March 21, 2009, 10:40:04 AM
This article tells me that we're OK with Pierce at MLB, even though he lost a step. His smarts and knowing what's happening is more important. He lines up the defense and has them in position to make the play and does react accurately towards the play. He needs speedy OLB's and we're set. That also speaks highly for Blackburn as a solid back up. He's smart and reads the play. He just doesn't have the speed to play outside.

How's that....pierce will be slower than 5.5 now!
"" This team is now 3 players away from being a winning playoff team ""

tomeee

QuoteHow's that....pierce will be slower than 5.5 now!

If you take your first step in the wrong direction in really doesn't matter how fast you are. If you have the rest of the D aligned wrong look out big play coming. It is not all about speed.