News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH NFL Draft Preview 2009 - Offensive Tackles

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 05, 2009, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
The group of Tackles available in the 2009 NFL Draft is comparable in if not better overall than last years group

MightyGiants

Great stuff Ceri.  I think one other option for the Giants is to move up in the second round and grab Beatty (if they think he is worth it).  The cost to move up in the second round, is no where near as expensive as it is in the first.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Excellent summary and analysis, Ceri.  I fear that you are right in your estimation that the "top 5" OTs will be off the board before the Giants pick at 29. Indeed, it is entirely possible that the Eagles will use their 21 slot for Britton, and their 28 for a WR, or a RB. With that in mind, I can't convince myself that the Giants's priorities would lead them to trade up as high as it would take. I'm not even convinced that they would take Beatty at 29 over a WR. I don't think a LB with 1st Round value will still be around at 29 unless Matthews or Laurinaitis survive in what yet may be draft day scramble. However, I have just about conceded the Giants top priority to be WR given the need to replace not just Burress, but Amani as well.

If they really like Beatty, I can see them moving further up in Round 2 to get him. Cadogan needs good coaching and effort to improve his technique, but he might be worth one of their 5th Rounders.

Again, very well done- as usual, CD.

Cheers!

terrymeisner

excellent work, once again, ceri....as i have said many times over, your expertise is invaluable to those of us that don't follow the college game....thanks bud....go Giants!!!!!

Sam56

Thank you Ceri for the tutorial. Precise and on the mark. Will help out someone like me on draft day who no longer follows collegiate football as I did in my earlier days.

todge

Great stuff as usual Ceri.   We are in the minority around here in our evaluation of the Giants and their left tackle situation.

Regardless - the only OLT that will probably be there in the 2nd Round is Beatty and he has major bust potential.  For starters - he really hasn't shown much his entire career at UConn; second, he plays soft; third, there are major questions surrounding just how much he likes to play football; and fourth, he does not possess NFL-strength yet to handle bull rushers.

I would be curious how the Giants have him rated.

Painter

I too am curious about how the Giants have Beatty rated, todge.  As I have said in other threads, I have reservations about him.  He clearly has talent, but I don't know that he has the dedication to go with it. He did look better last year than the year before, but he still showed a tendency to forget all about technique and play terribly in some games.

Cheers!

Kmed6000

The Giants are in a position where they can upgrade a position out of luxury and not need.  They don't need to upgrade the LT position, but if they can strengthen two positions at once, why not.  I would think receiver is their top priority unless they trade for someone, otherwise I can see a tackle if a good one is left on the board.  Thanks to UK I know who some of the good ones are.  Awesome read. 

Kmed6000

Something that also needs to be noted.  Diehl may be a little weak against the speed rush, but he is a strong run blocker and can move a little bit.  We are a running team first, we like to and have to pound the rock.  So I hope they don't draft a LT that may be better against the speed rushers, but isn't a good run blocking lineman.  I like having 5 lineman that can move and run block.  I also like the continuity they have had over the years.