News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Trivia Question 2

Started by dasher, August 11, 2007, 04:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher

OK- This one is for all the Big Blue purists and will hopefully prove a little challenging. Since 1960, there have been three Giant wide receivers who have rushed for over 100 career yards. Name them.
Of these three- two have scored a touchdown rushing. Name them with an appropriate accompanying player portrait and details of their scores.

dasher

Another question halted because of all the demand for the answers!

Homer Jones 146 NYG career rushing yards- Regular Season
Ike Hilliard 120 NYG career rushing yards- Regular Season
Amani Toomer 110 NYG career rushing yards- Regular Season

Wide Receiver Rushing Touchdowns:

Homer Jones 1967- One
Amani Toomer 2000- One (One also in Playoffs)

bighitterdalama

Dasher,

Sorry. I have been a bit busy.

Here is what would have been my guesses:

Homer Jones
Amani Toomer
Ike Hilliard

Homer Jones
Either Amani Toomer or Ernest Gray

So I would have been pretty close, no?

Homer Jones

Amani Toomer

Ike Hilliard

dasher

Hi Big Hitter,
As usual, you would have been right on. You sure know your Giants and your historical knowledge is unsurpassed. Having said that- I know that Amani scored against the Cardinals on a 19 yard run 11/26/2000. Mission Impossible, Mr. Phelps is to provide details on Homer's scoring run in 1967 to which I confess- I don't know the details.
PS- Extra scoring points given for the pictures. A+ report card for the Big Hitter. Where is Retro? He hasn't been here for awhile.

bighitterdalama

Dasher,

Toomer scored on a six yard end around in a 20-10 playoff win against the Eagles, January 07, 2001. (2000 season, the same game in which Sehorn made the fantasic INT/TD return.)

BigHitter

dasher

Yes, Amani did score in that playoff game, so he technically had 2 rushing TD's "that" year. And what a pick and score by Jason. I know this wouldn't be a politically correct question- but I believe he was the only starting white cornerback in the league that year. Agree?

kartanoman

Dasher - what a superb trivia question and I apologize I haven't been on due to an increased workload at the office as well as working tirelessly into the night to convert my Giant library to DVD.

Off the top of my head, I would have guessed that guys like Frank Gifford and Joe Morrison would technically qualify since, despite the fact they were primarily RBs for the majority of their respective careers, they were both switched to WR in their later years with the club (i.e. Gifford in 1962-63 and Morrison I believe in 1967 or 1968).

Again, me with my "technicalities" ... maybe Grizz was right in that I should have been a two-bit lawyer versus an engineer ...  ;D

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

dasher

And here I thought you guys had deserted me! What a great picture of Gifford awaiting the sure TD catch.  I believe the other Giants are Wietecha, Dess, Stroud, and Triplett? And Jim Shofner of the Brownies yelling "Drop it" ala A. Rod?? And BurmaShave on the scoreboard! Great Stuff.
No technicalities allowed on this question. Only permitted on Heissmann Trophy High School questions.

Sam56

As I wrote on the trivia question above (but maybe because it's older, members won't see my addition, please forgive my inputting it here again):

"FYI: From 1952 through 1959 Frank Gifford threw 14 touchdown passes from the Running Back position."

PS. Love that Burma Shave advertisement. Great piece of Americana.

Dumpster Dan

Just joined the list today so here is my initial contribution to this Trivia bit-

It involves me personally so here goes.

In 1986 I was living in Connecticut--The Giants picked up on waivers during initial cuts  a DB who had been drafted by the Packers that year. He was out of Virginia Tech and my daughter-in-law had told me about him because she was a professor there and he was in one of her classes. (She actually made him attend classes). He survived till final cuts and then was signed to the practice squad. As the season went on we communicated a few times and then one Monday night he drove to our house in Connecticut for an overnighter as the Giants were in Indianapolis playing the Colts--Practice squad players didn't make away trips. He brought with him a fellow member of the practice squad--at Half time he and my sons went out in the street for a little tossing the football around.

Anybody care to guess the name of the DB?

And the place kicker?

BTW--the DB did make the active squad--he shows up in pictures of NORWIDES Miss on Super Bowl Sunday

Fladan

Dumpster Dan

Sorry, I didn't say that the kid he brought with him was a place kicker

spiderblue43

FLADAN,

The answer is Roger Brown (90-91). The kicker? Hmmm. I need a hint there.  ~X(

bighitterdalama

Fladan,

I suspect that the kicker was former Louisiana Tech place kicker Matt Stover, who spent his entire rookie season (1990) on the Giants' IR list.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Team/PlayerBio.aspx?id=1154

BigHitterDalama

Dumpster Dan

You are both correct

We have kept in touch with Matt all these years

Dumpster Dan

Think about it--how many PK's Have the Giants had since then?  And Stover is still kicking