News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

1965: The Big Hitter Becomes a Giant Fan

Started by bighitterdalama, May 13, 2009, 12:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

I began my now legendary worship of our beloved Giants in 1965. The eight year old Big Hitter watched as the Giants opened the season with four road games before returning home to four straight home games at The Stadium. Ultimately, the Giants would meander their way to a 7-7 final record. As I wax nostagic on this beautiful spring evening, let us re-examine 1965, game by game.

Game 1
September 19
at Dallas

Cowboys 31, Giants 2

In his rookie debut with the Cowboys, Bob Hayes catches two passes for 81 yards and runs 45 yards on an end-around for a touchdown. The Giants only score occurs in the third period when Jim Katcavage tackles Don Meredith in the Cowboy end zone for a safety. The Pokes' 31-2 thrashing of the Giants seals forever the Big Hitter's hatred of the Cowboys.

Game 2
September 26
at Philadelphia

Giants 16, Eagles 14

Andy Stynchula kicks field goals of 24, 20, and 11 yards, the last of which overcomes a 14-13 deficit to give the Giants a two point victory. Stynchula, a former Penn State All American defensive tackle, is best known for being traded from the Redskins to the Giants for Sam Huff. Giant rookie fullback Tucker Frederickson runs for 76 yards on 17 carries.

Game 3
October 03
at Pittsburgh

Giants 23, Steelers 13

Aaron Thomas catches a 29 yard TD pass from Earl Morrall to seal the victory. Earlier in the game, Giant rookie Bob Timberlake kicks a 43 yard field goal. This would be Timberlake's only successful field goal that year, finishing the season at 1/15.

Game 4
October 09
at Minnesota

Vikings 40, Giants 14

An odd Saturday game for that era. The Vikings, up 17-7 at the half, score 21 unanswered third quarter points to turn the game into a blow out.

Game 5
October 17
Yankee Stadium

Giants 35, Eagles 27

The Giants jump out to a 35-7 third quarter lead before the Eagles score 20 late points to make the score respectful. Earl Morrall completes 10 of 15 passes for an incredible 296 yards and four touchdowns, including tosses of 71 yards to Aaron Thomas, 46 yards to Joe Morrison, 89 yards to Homer Jones, and 2 yards to Bobby Crespino.

Game 6
October 24
Yankee Stadium 

Browns 38, Giants 14

The reigning NFL Champion Browns thoroughly dominate the Giants, finishing with 526 total yards of offense. The great Jim Brown is magnificent, running for 177 yards on 24 carries. He also catches three passes for 18 yards, including a five yard TD catch from Frank Ryan, and throws a 39 yard option pass TD to Gary Collins.

Game 7
October 31
Yankee Stadium

Giants 14, Cardinals 10

The Cards amass 438 total yards of offense but only score ten points in the loss. The Giants, down 10-0 at the half, score on a 29 yard Morrall-to-Thomas third quarter TD pass and a Frederickson four yard fourth quarter TD run to seal the victory.

Note that this game was played on Halloween. Later that evening, The Big Hitter would go trick-or-treating as Frank Gifford. The outfit consisted of a Giant helmet borrowed from a friend and a navy blue sweatshirt decorated with the number "16" drawn with white shoe polish.

Game 8
November 07
Yankee Stadium

Redskins 23, Giants 07

The Giants turn the ball over five times on three lost fumbles and two interceptions. My personal memory of the game is of Giant Bob Timberlake missing one chip shot field goal after another.

Game 9
November 14
at Cleveland

Browns 34, Giants 21

The Browns once again pound the Giants, finishing with 459 total yards of offense. Jim Brown runs for 156 yards on 20 carries plus three rushing touchdowns.

Game 10
November 21
at St. Louis

Giants 28, Cardinals 15

The scoring opens in an odd manner. In the 1st quarter, Giant linebacker Gerry Hillebrand intercepts a Buddy Humphrey pass in the end zone. Hillebrand attempts to return the ball, fumbles, and falls on the ball in the end zone. Under the rules of that era, the call is a safety. The Cards turn the ball over five times in the game, and the Giants win comfortably.

Game 11
November 28
Yankee Stadium

Bears 35, Giants 14

The Bears thoroughly @sswhoop the Giants on both sides of the ball. By, half-time, the score is 21-0, and the Bears coast to victory. Gayle Sayers runs for 113 yards on just 13 carries and two TDs, plus catches two passes for 24 yards. Sayers' fellow rookie Dick Butkus kills the Giant offense.

My most vivid memory of this game involves Bear TE Mike Ditka. During the first half, Ditka catches a Rudy Bukich sideline pass and turns upfield. He is simultaneously hit by about five Giants, all of who bounce off Ditka like so many rubber balls. Ditka rumbles on for a long gain. This play was immortalized by being shown in a shaving commercial for several subsequent seasons, and was integral in the making of the legend of Iron Mike.

Game 12
December 05
Yankee Stadium

Giants 35 Steelers 10

Tucker Frederckson has a big game, running for 81 yards on 17 carries and two touchdowns and catching 3 passes for 16 yards and another touchdown. The Steelers turn the ball over six times on four lost fumbles and two Bill Nelson interceptions.

Game 13
December 12
at Washington

Giants 27 Redskins 10

After spotting the Redskins ten points (including a 45 yard option pass TD from Charlie Taylor to Bobby Mitchell), the Giants score 27 unanswered points to cruise to victory. Homer Jones catches touchdown passes of 74 and 72 yards from Eral Morrall.

Game 14
December 19
Yankee Stadium

Cowboys 38 Giants 20

The Big Hitter is worked up for this one. If the 7-6 Giants win, they will tie the 8-5 Cowboys with identical 8-6 records. Under tie-breaking rules, the Giants will finish second in the NFL East and move on to play in the 1965 Playoff Bowl. After three quarters, the Cowboys lead a seesaw battle 17-13. Early in the 4th quarter, the Giants drive inside the Cowboy 35 yard line. When the drive stalls, the Giants try a 40 yard field goal. The kick is blocked and Dallas LB Obert Logan returns the ball 60 yards for a touchdown. The Giants trail, 24-13.

The Giants respond with a long drive that ends in a 2 yard Morrall-to-Crespino TD pass. 24-20, Dallas. The Giants stop Dallas, then drive towards the winning touchdown. On a crucial fourth down play, Giant HC Allie Sherman sends CB (and world class sprinter) Clarence Childs into the game as a wide receiver. Sherman calls for an out pattern. Dallas CB Cornell Green picks the pass off and runs 43 yards into Giant territory. Dallas QB Don Meredith then throws a 29 yard TD pass to flanker Buddy Dials. 31-20 Dallas. On the Giants ensuing drive, Morrall throws a pass that is picked off by Cowboy Warren Livingston. A 2 yard TD run by Cowboy JD Smith closes out the scoring. Final score: Dallas 38, Giants 20.

The Giants finished the 1965 season at 7-7, an outcome that would become commonplace in the late sixties. The 1965 Giants gave so many thrills and heartbreaks to me in that, my formative season. The credit for my 1965 transformation into a Giant fan can be credited to my mother's cousin, Mary Ann. Mary Ann, nine years my senior, had grown up in the era of Charlie Connerly, Y.A. Tittle, Frank Gifford, Big Red Webster, and (most of all) Sam Huff. Mary Ann easily converted me into the honor and valor of Giant Fandom. Mary Ann would reward my youthful loyalty each birthday and Christmas with books from the Punt, Pass, and Kick Library, then later with Elliot Asinof's now classic book, Seven Days to Sunday.

I owe so much to Mary Ann for giving me this treasure of my youth. A true Irish Catholic, she never married. Tragically, she died just a few hours ago of an unexpected heart attack. No history of heart disease. She has moved on to join Joe Morrison, Rosey Brown, and all other Giants, big and not so big, who have passed into God's Hands. I loved her very much. Still do. And I will miss her aways.

RIP Mary Ann McMahon. Hugs, Kisses, and, most of all, Love.

Brian

Webster29

bighitter:   great post.  It brought back some good and some not so good memories.   But they were all part of what made me a Giant fan also.

And my deepest condolences on your loss of Mary Ann.   She sounds like one heck of a gal.  The kind I wish I had known.

vstaj(grizz)

You're a cool guy, Brian.   Glad I know you. 

Painter

We all have been made better by the Mary Anns of this world. Sorry for your loss, Brian.

bedl365

I too extend my condolences BH, she sounds like she was a very special lady

terrymeisner

brian....i am sorry to hear of your loss

mary ann sounds like a wonderful woman by the way she has touched you

files58

Sorry for your loss, and a big thank you for the post. 1965 was my first year as a fan as well, although I have vague memories of 64'. I remember game 2 when Stynchula kicked those fg's. During that game Tucker Frederickson had a long TD run called back for illegal motion. The first game I ever attended was the 10/31 game against the Cardinals. Sat in what would have been great seats for a baseball game, right behind home plate, not so great for a football game. Tucker's game winning td run was around left end and he pulled up with a slightly twisted ankle, the beginning of his injury woes. In those days they allowed fans onto the field after the game, I have a vivid memory of how chewed up the field was.

LennG

Brian

Truly very sorry to hear of Mary Ann's passing. She would have been about my age and we could have shared great stories, had I known her. I know I would have liked her very much.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

spiderblue43

big hitter,  =D>

Wonderful post. And sorry for your loss. I'm thinking that Saturday Vikings game was due to the Twins' pennant season and World Series against the Dodgers. Play the game a day earlier to get the field ready for Game 6 that Wednesday. Just my hunch. In relation to the Vikings, 1965 in the NFL saw the introduction of the Line Judge, which was created by scrambling QB's throwing near or over the line of scrimmage, a la Tarkenton.

vette5573

My sympathy for your loss Brian, my friend.
A wonderful post and tribute to your cousin Mary Ann.
Isn't it something how one person can touch the lives of so many.
If it weren't for her, you would never have met any of us
and we would never have known you.

God Bless her and keep her in loving company,
as you keep a place for her in your heart and sweet memory.

socaljint

Very sorry about your loss Big Hitter, sounds like she left you with many many gifts.