News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Homer Jones: A Football Retrospective

Started by bighitterdalama, May 25, 2009, 02:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

To the elder Giant Faithful, it is a familiar lament. To the younger fan, a historical curiosity to which they cannot relate. When, who, or will there ever be: another Homer Jones?

It has now been forty seasons since Homer Jones was the last Giant wide receiver selected to the Pro Bowl. Forty years since his physical presence at split left end on the Giant offense placed opposing defenses in terror of his potential destruction. For Homer Jones was, indeed, just such a player. Truth be stated, over a four year period, Homer was one of only five truly dominant offensive players in the NFL. Players who made opposing defenses adjust to brilliance else they be immediately burned by a long score. Of the five, four (Gayle Sayers, Charlie Taylor, Bob Hayes, and Leroy Kelly) are in the Hall of Fame. Tragically, a career long knee injury cost Homer his career just as he was at the pinnacle of his game. If not, Homer would certainly be among these four greats in Canton.

Yes, Homer Jones was that good. No, not just good, but great. At 6'2" tall, 225 lbs., with world class speed and hands likened to butterfly nets, Homer was as talented a wideout as who ever played the game.  During 1966-1968, Homer had three consecutive seasons of 1000 plus reception yardage. This in an era when such a statistic was as rare as fifty home runs in baseball. (Or at least as rare until baseball's Steroid Era forever tainted this once revered accomplishment.) But it wasn't just what Homer did. It was also how he did it. Big. Very big. Bigger than life. Ruthian, in fact. Yes, that big.

To truly understand Homer Jones' impact, consider the following. He presently hold the NFL career record of 22.3 yards/catch (minimum 200 catches: 224/4986). Yet this statistic does not do Homer's career true justice. For it was in his touchdown production that Homer truly blows all contenders away. Of Homer's 34 career touchdown catches, 29 were for more more than thirty yards, 19 more than fifty yards, and ten for more than seventy yards. Homer gained a total of 1710 yards on these 34 touchdowns, an astounding 47.8 yards/touchdown catch. Although I am unable to locate this all-time statistic, I would be shocked to find any player to average within twenty yards of this accomplishment.             

Homer Jones was born on February 18, 1941, in the small rural community of Pittsburg, Texas. He was the only child of a steelworker father and a school teacher mother. The family moved to L.A. during WW II, then moved back to Texas following the war. Homer, a clearly talented child (he was walking by ten months and speaking by one year), did not play football for most of high school. Instead, he played the saxaphone, hoping for a career in music. By his senior year, Homer, who wished to go to college, realized that music would not earn him a college scholarship. Homer then tried out for the football team and was assigned to play fullback. On his first play from scrimmage, Homer ran eighty yards for a touchdown. Homer's senior season was good enough to qualify him for college ball. For a black man living in the south in the late 1950s, the opportunity to play for the lilly white big universities did not exist. Homer received nine scholarship offers from black southern universities. He turned down perrenial powerhouse Grambling as too far from home. Instead, he settled on Texas Southern, located in nearby Houston.

Homer played linebacker his freshman season at Southern, then moved to halfback as a sophmore. In his junior year, he was moved to flanker, where he made Small College All American. In his last two seasons at Southern, he excelled in running reverses, which routinely resulted in long gains. Homer states that he would occasionally reverse the reverse, just to see what might happen. In his next to last game at Southern, Homer injured his knee on a reverse play. Still, he was drafted by Giants in the Round 20 (#278 overall) of the 1963 NFL draft. Homer opted to instead sign with the Houston Oilers of the fledgling American Football League.

Homer re-injured his knee in a pickup game prior to reporting to the Oilers' 1963 training camp. When the Oilers lost interest in his services, Homer's career fell into limbo. Homer then contacted the Giants on the advice of a sportswriter friend. The Giants requested that he receive an offical release from the Oilers. He did so, and the Oilers agreed. The Giants then brought Homer to New York, where team doctor  Anthony Pisani operated on the knee. Homer rehabbed on the taxi squad for the entire 1963 season, then played sparingly in three games during the disasterous 2-12 1964 campaign.

Homer came into his own in 1965. During a 7-7 Giant campaign, Homer caught 26 passes for 709 yards, an astounding average of 27.3 yards/catch. Even more impressive was that Homer caught four touchdowns of 70+ yards. His numbers on six touchdowns were 89, 79, 7, 28, 74, and 72.

The Giants opened up the 1966 season with a wild and wooly 34-34 tie with the Steelers. In that game, Homer scored on touchdown passes of 75 and 98 yards. Although the Giants would only win one game enroute to a 1-12-1 season, Homer was outstanding. He caught 48 passes for 1044 yards, 21.8 yards/catch, and eight touchdowns. His numbers on the eight touchdowns were 75, 98, 20, 34, 17, 9, 50, and 82.

In 1967, Homer flat out broke the league apart. Newly aquired QB Fran Tarkenton was an unorthodox kindred spirit with whom Homer immediately connected. Homer would open the season with two touchdowns in each of the first three games, scoring on passes of 70, 38, 52, 35, and 68 yards, plus a reverse run TD of 45 yards. Homer would finish the season with 49 catches for 1209 yards, a 24.7 yard/catch average, and thirteen touchdowns. Add in five carries (with one touchdown) plus two kickoff returns, Homer scored an incredible one touchdown for every four times he touched the ball. Homer's yardage per touchdown: 70, 38, 52, 45 (run), 35, 68, 34, 22, 30, 66, 45, 2, 63, 69.

Homer made the Pro Bowl in 1967. This led to an odd near-confrontation with Homer's rival, Cowboy WR Bob Hayes. Hayes, the so-called "The World's Fastest Man" due to his world record 9.1 second 100 yard dash time, was also selected to the Pro Bowl. That said, many in the NFL thought that Homer Jones, once timed at 9.2 in the 100, might be even faster than Hayes. The Los Angeles Herald, which sponsored the Pro Bowl, wanted to conduct a pre-game race between the two in order to drum up interest in the game. Winner take all at $25,000. This was an enormous sum in that day and age. The race was called off when Giant owner Wellington Mara, who thought the race would ruin the good taste of the Pro Bowl, offered Homer $5,000 not to race. Homer reluctantly accepted, and the race never took place.

In 1968, Homer again went to the Pro Bowl as the Giants repeated at 7-7. His numbers were again outstanding: 45 catches, 1057 yards, 23.5 yards/catch, seven touchdowns. Homer's yardage in those seven touchdowns were 82, 56, 22, 44, 1, 60, and 73. Homer opened the 1969 season with a 54 yard touchdown catch in a 24-23 Giant win over the Vikings. Unknown at the time, this would be Homer's last touchdown as a Giant. His degenerative knee injury was hurting both his speed and his cutting ability. Although Homer ended the season with a credible 42 catches/744 yards/17.7 yards per catch, the Giants were aware that Homer's best days were quickly falling behind him. The Giant front office were willing to shop Homer's services to the highest bidder. That bidder turned out to be the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns, once formidable, but now slipping ala the 1963 Giants, coveted Purdue quarterback Mike Phipps as their potential savior. The Browns were willing to give up All Pro wide receiver Paul Warfield to the Dolphins for the Fish' #1 pick (#7 overall) in order to draft Phipps, but only if they (the Browns) were able to land a comparable WR elsewhere. The Browns had an excellent trade bait of their own: Ron Johnson, first year running back from Michigan, who had played well in his rookie season. The Browns could afford to shop Johnson as they still had  RB Leroy Kelly, who remained at the top of his game. The Giants, who at this point had no real running game, were willing to play. An indirect three way deal was worked out. First, the Browns traded Warfield to the Dolphins for the #7 pick (used to draft Phipps.) Then the Browns traded Ron Johnson and DT Jim Kanicki to the Giants for Homer Jones. Homer was now a Cleveland Brown.

Unfortunately for the Browns, the tank was empty in Homer's knee. A shell of himself, he caught only ten passes in 1970 for 141 yards. Always the big play gamer, Homer had two moments left in his career. To open the 1970 season, the Browns played the Jets in the first ever game of Monday Night Football. Homer returned the opening kickoff of the second half 94 yards for a touchdown that helped the Browns to a 31-21 victory. (Contrary to popular belief, the return did not open the game, but, as stated, opened the second half.) Homer would then make his only Brown touchdown catch in the final game of the season, a 43 yard effort thrown by Bill Nelson in a 27-13 victory against the Broncos.

Homer was traded to the Cardinals after the 1970 season, but he would never play again. The knee was just too bad. And so ended the career of Mr. Homer Jones. The greatest Giant wide receiver of my, or any other Giant fan's, lifetime. Homer, if you read this, kudos to you. And Thank You for the memories.

Big Hitter

ELCHALJE

Great post, bighitter.  Thanx for the info--I never realized just how good Homer was for those few years.  Those were my college years in Scranton, PA when I rarely had an opportunity to see the Giants on TV.   Wonder if there are any film clips available on Homer.  Also, gotta wonder what his career could have been with a very good team, which the Giants were not during his years.

beaugestus

Great post, thanks for bringing back the memories. I remember Fran Tarkenton saying that it was impossible for him to overthrow a pass to Homer.

TuckerF

There has been a great hue and cry out of Dallas the last few years when discussing Bob Hayes and the HOF.  It came to a head with Hayes recent election.  Gil Brandt on Sirius has been a great cheerleader for Hayes and yet there is a fair comparison to make between Hayes and Jones as receivers.  Brandt loves to say that Hayes changed teh game but Hayes at 5-11 and 185 was physically no match for Jones at 6-2 and 215.

Hayes played on the Cowboys when that team was in its prime and yet only had two years when he went over 1000 yds receiving, his first two in the league 65 and 66,  the first two years Dallas challenged for the NFL title.  Only four times in 11 years did he catch over 40 passes.

Homer Jones playes for the  Giants at the same time as Hayes was playing for Dallas  64-70 for Jones , 65-75 for Hayes.  Clearly Hayes had a much longer career,  but while he was competeing every year for a championship, Jones was playing for what was then an NFL laughingstock franchise.  Yet Homer Jones had three years over 1000 yds receiving to Hayes's two;  Jones had a 22 yd per catch average to Hayes 20 and 38 TDs in 7 years to Hayes' 71 in 11 years.  Jones averaged over 20 yards per catch every year of his career until his last two years, after his injury did his per catch average dip below 20, Hayes only had four years where he averaged 20 yds per catch or greater.

If Jones was in Dallas, or the Giants competitive those years, we would be seeing Homer Jones in the Hall of Fame
That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

bedl365

Thanks BHD, I remember Homer coming to visit my pee-wee football team when I was a youngster. We were all star-struck! He joined us in a 100 yd. dash and beat us all by about 50 yds. One of the earliest "heroes" of my youth and always thought it was a crime he isn't in the HOF.

President Rick

he was a phenon...and if I believe the lore correctly, didn't Homer also invent the endzone TD spike? 
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

LennG

Yes sir re Bob, Mr Jones is the orininator of the end zone Spike.

Great post Brian. I always wondered what Jones would have done had he played on the Simms era Giants, when we had a real team?? Too bad his career was so short, he really might Have been one of the truly greats to play WR.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sam56

Brian, "Thanks for the memories". He was as big as today's wr, but faster and quicker than most.

Homer was the greatest Giant receiver I ever saw. Even if it was only for five years (14 game seasons) what he brought to our team (a not very good team - no winning seasons) was outstanding.

As a fan growing up, Homer remembered watching Hornung and Gifford throwing the ball into the stands after scoring a touchdown. So "in a 1965 game, Homer scored a td and than threw the football down hard into the end zone. He called the move a "spike," and modern post-touchdown celebrations have evolved from Jones' invention of spiking the ball."

In 1967, Jones had his best season. He caught 49 passes for 1,209 yards, an average of 24.7 yards per catch, and 13 touchdowns. He led the NFL in receiving touchdowns. He was second in the league in combined rushing and receiving yards from scrimmage behind Leroy Kelly of the Browns. He made the NFL's Pro Bowl that season and the next.

Jones finished his career with 224 receptions for 4,986 yards, an average of 22.3 yards per catch. This was and is the NFL record  (minimum 200 career receptions) and 37 touchdowns (36 receiving, one rushing).

After four decades since he left the Giants, I'm still waiting for a Giant wr with Homer's complete package.

President Rick

Jones was tight end size back then.  today, he'd be a typical big WR but not then.  our TE aaron thomas was maybe 220 at tight end; joe walton before him maybe 180-185 at TE.   Bob Tucker who fllowed thomas may have been 230-235.  BUT,  Homer could fly.  In Seven Days to Sunday, elliot assimov [sp??] quoted tark as saying throwing to homer was like throwing to a man with a butterfly net on a speeding mororcycle.

Let's also add some props for HC Allie Sherman whose wide open offense and willingness to let the boys play some ball out there also factored into Jones' and Tark's success.  Our O put up points, but sadly the D gave up more back then.  Jones was super though.  

PS.   I am proud to say I never sang 'goodbye Allie,' either at yankee stadium or at home watching on tv.  I have never booed a Giant in my life.  Win or lose, it's my team, your team, too, guys, I know.  This season should be fun.  Go Giants.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Slick

No player before or after,that I saw, created the excitement he did when the huddle broke. I'm sure when Tarkenton described the Giants as the worst group of football players he was ever associated with,
just by mistake failed to make him the exception.

Many times I wondered about how great he would have been if he had more help. It broke my heart when he was traded,but it turned out to be a good move for the Giants. Easily the greatest Giant receiver,and possibly the greatest offensive player at any position when all things are considered.

Great post about my personal all time favorite Giant.

Webster29

bighitter:   that was the best post on HJ I have ever read and I thank you.  Over the years WR has not exactally been a strong suit for the NYG and it is sometimes hard to explain to younger Giants fans about the Giants having a WR who whenever he was on the field you would be at the edge of your seat in anticipation of something special happening.   HJ was such a player and you explained it perfectally.

You mentined the proposed race between Hayes and HJ.  If memory serves wasn't there also a proposed race between Hayes and Giants DB Henry Carr???  Carr also had world class speed and I seem to recall that there was a push on to have him race Hayes.  My memory is a bit fuzzy on this and maybe you can shed some light on it.

Also when thinking of HJ it always brings to mind the trade with the Browns.  They wanted Purdue QB Mike Phipps in the worst way but it appeared Miami was going to take him.   So the Browns had to part with HOF WR Paul Warfield to Miami and they drafted Phipps.  So then they needed a new WR for Phipps to throw to.  In talks with the Giants about getting Homer Jones the Browns mentioned the name "Johnson".  Apparently the Browns were referring to Walter Johnson, a pretty decent DT.  The Giants asked if they meant RB Ron Johnson.  The Browns said OK Ron.  And the Giants ended up with RB Ron Johnson, DT Jim Kanicki and LB Wayne Meylan for HJ.   Apparently the Browns did not realize his best days were behind him.  In my opinion one of the best trades the Giants ever made.

kartanoman

Brian - well done!

If I may ask you to review two typos ... one that Webster caught (i.e. Ron Johnson vs. Brown) and the other being the 1969 season opener against Minnesota was a dramatic last minute 24-23 victory ... and one of the most treasured games in my video archive (though I only have the final quarter of it). In it, Don Hermann snagged the game winner from Fran for the huge upset.

Again, thank you for a super post!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

bighitterdalama

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. By the time I completed this post it was almost 3:00 A.M. Changes done.

Brian

squibber

I'm not trying to change the subject here but one of my favorite Giants just before Homer Jones was the 6'3" Del Shofner.  seems like he is a totally forgotten Giant.

Shoelessjoe

Tarkenton was once quoted as saying that Homer Jones had the bigest hands of anyone he had ever seen.  You couple that with his size and speed and you can see why he was so good.  He was one of my all time Giant favorites.  Great post Brian.