News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Homer Jones: A Football Retrospective

Started by bighitterdalama, May 25, 2009, 02:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Rick

a good read about the Giants of that Tark-Sherman-Jones era was an Eliot Asimov [spelling] book titled Seven Days to Sunday.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

spiderblue43

Great post, big hitter, again. That really brings back so many memories loving the Giants and the game in the late 60's with Homer Jones as a kid. He was terrific in his relatively short heydey. A tremendous player after the catch. Jones could simply run under a pass with a defender and shed him like it was nothing. Or simply blaze by man coverage. Plus that spike end zone creation. Not bad. I was at that Viking game near the right field foul pole when he caught his last TD in '69. What a thrilling win that was! Homer should have had a HOF career with his skill set. Too bad. He was the real deal in every way.

As far as Pro Bowl WR's, I felt we had one in Amani Toomer for several years. He was just so productive if unspectacular and underappreciated

Giant Obsession

This post needs a bump.

Homer Jones should be known by anyone who calls themselves a Giant fan and education of the past is important.

And yes, he was that good.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

jimv

beaugestus

Thanks for the thread fellas.

I remember Tarkenton saying that he could not overthrow a pass to Homer. His speed and for his size were incredible.

Giant Obsession

as President Rick stated...read the late Eliot Asimof's book "Seven days to Sunday".  Homer seemed just a big, carefree kind of guy.  He loved fishing and did retire to his hometown somewhere in Texas.

He was also renowned for making up his own patterns on certain plays, which drove everyone crazy, especially the other receivers.

I think he may have been the father of The Passing Tree well ahead of his time.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

joeyfootball

homer jones had it all. speed, power, and great soft hands.

yes he invented the spike, for if you threw the ball into the stands you were fined 500 dollars.

homer would be just as good today for he could get open and never to me ever drop a pass.

maybe only obj or henry carr was faster.

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: President Rick on May 26, 2009, 01:53:46 PM
a good read about the Giants of that Tark-Sherman-Jones era was an Eliot Asinof  book titled Seven Days to Sunday.

Hey Rick -  I have a copy of the book in my hands right now. 

Tarkenton on Jones:  "its like throwing to a man riding a bicycle with a butterfly net"