News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

10 reasons the Giants will be a dumpster fire this season

Started by MightyGiants, June 25, 2024, 08:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I can't disagree with him.  We see marginal players and make a leap of faith they will be good but they don't.  His list of good players seems right to me.

If they fail this year, jettison Schoen and Dabs.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 25, 2024, 08:36:58 AMThe Eagles writer does this for the entire NFC East

10 reasons the Giants will be a dumpster fire this season

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-giants-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2024/

He already did the Cowboys

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-cowboys-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2024/

I read these every year and get a laugh out of it. Some spot on, some way off. One of his 10-reasons, "Fix your field, you morons", discusses how bad our turf is. The Giants ponied up tens of millions to replace the turf last year with one of the most technologically advanced turfs available, and I don't recall a myriad of complaints about the new turf throughout last season. That might have been a legitimate bitch a couple years ago, but I think this dude is a year late to add that to his arsenal of complaints

Regardless, no one can take these "10 Reasons" seriously. It's good for a few laughs, and maybe even a concern or two, but everyone knows it's parody
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 25, 2024, 09:56:25 AMI read these every year and get a laugh out of it. Some spot on, some way off. One of his 10-reasons, "Fix your field, you morons", discusses how bad our turf is. The Giants ponied up tens of millions to replace the turf last year with one of the most technologically advanced turfs available, and I don't recall a myriad of complaints about the new turf throughout last season. That might have been a legitimate bitch a couple years ago, but I think this dude is a year late to add that to his arsenal of complaints

Regardless, no one can take these "10 Reasons" seriously. It's good for a few laughs, and maybe even a concern or two, but everyone knows it's parody

The field comments clearly separate pundits with a clue from the clueless.  I see a similar thing on Twitter from the Jet's perspective, listing the 10-year history of injuries on the field.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Looks like he's been reading this Board for the last year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Still a can't argue about some of the players we have let go and really never replaced.
Sorry but I still sore about losing McKinney.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

EDjohnst1981

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 25, 2024, 11:21:39 AMStill a can't argue about some of the players we have let go and really never replaced.
Sorry but I still sore about losing McKinney.

It's tough being in a position where one has to manage the cap, while looking with a macro-vision for the future. McKinney was going to get paid big time - period. And like RBs, safeties are not considered a "premium" position for making huge investments. To further complicate things, it appeared that McKinney (although a natural born leader) wasn't exactly a "team first" type of leader. There were some character flaws that rubbed the coaches the wrong way - in short, attitude issues. Not saying he wasn't a stud player, but it seemed he was more in the game for himself than for the team and had an extremely high opinion of himself. The Packers signed him for 70 million, which was more than the Giants wanted to give him at a position considered to be an unwise financial obligation. I just read a story about the top 25 players under the age of 25. McKinney (24-yrs-old) did not make the list; however, safeties Javon Holland (Mia) and Kyle Hamilton (Balt) did make the list. McKinney played well for us, but the team needed an overhaul when Schoen took over and he's going to invest his money wisely in positions that are critical for long term success. Personally, I took more umbrage over them letting Love go  :-??
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 25, 2024, 12:01:41 PMIt's tough being in a position where one has to manage the cap, while looking with a macro-vision for the future. McKinney was going to get paid big time - period. And like RBs, safeties are not considered a "premium" position for making huge investments. To further complicate things, it appeared that McKinney (although a natural born leader) wasn't exactly a "team first" type of leader. There were some character flaws that rubbed the coaches the wrong way - in short, attitude issues. Not saying he wasn't a stud player, but it seemed he was more in the game for himself than for the team and had an extremely high opinion of himself. The Packers signed him for 70 million, which was more than the Giants wanted to give him at a position considered to be an unwise financial obligation. I just read a story about the top 25 players under the age of 25. McKinney (24-yrs-old) did not make the list; however, safeties Javon Holland (Mia) and Kyle Hamilton (Balt) did make the list. McKinney played well for us, but the team needed an overhaul when Schoen took over and he's going to invest his money wisely in positions that are critical for long term success. Personally, I took more umbrage over them letting Love go  :-??
I agree with you on the Character issues. They could however have signed him if they cut Waller. He basically got 23 million guaranteed over 4 years but his salary over three is less than 4.5 MM. They may decide to cut him after 2024 before his 8.5 Roster Bonus kicks in. That's when his cap hit jumps from 7.8 MM to 17.6 MM. Seems like they didn't have 100% faith in him either. I agree with overpaying a Safety position but the accumulated loss of him and Jackson left the Secondary weak.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 25, 2024, 12:32:49 PMI agree with you on the Character issues. They could however have signed him if they cut Waller. He basically got 23 million guaranteed over 4 years but his salary over three is less than 4.5 MM. They may decide to cut him after 2024 before his 8.5 Roster Bonus kicks in. That's when his cap hit jumps from 7.8 MM to 17.6 MM. Seems like they didn't have 100% faith in him either. I agree with overpaying a Safety position but the accumulated loss of him and Jackson left the Secondary weak.

I'm still a little stunned that Adoree' is still a FA. He's only 28, runs a 4.4/40, familiar with the Giants' system, and a former 1st rd (18th overall) pick. He didn't have a good year last year, but he's had some stellar years throughout his history. And I suspect he'd come cheap on a prove-it contract

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 25, 2024, 12:46:46 PMI'm still a little stunned that Adoree' is still a FA. He's only 28, runs a 4.4/40, familiar with the Giants' system, and a former 1st rd (18th overall) pick. He didn't have a good year last year, but he's had some stellar years throughout his history. And I suspect he'd come cheap on a prove-it contract

When a veteran like Adoree isn't signed at this point, it's safe to say that the price he asked was too high.  Often, when they don't get signed, they wait until after camp starts (or right before camp) to sign a one-year prove-it deal.  Some they will wait for an injury to occur so they have a bit more leverage.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 25, 2024, 12:52:20 PMWhen a veteran like Adoree isn't signed at this point, it's safe to say that the price he asked was too high.  Often, when they don't get signed, they wait until after camp starts (or right before camp) to sign a one-year prove-it deal.  Some they will wait for an injury to occur so they have a bit more leverage.

Good point. Having befriended a lot of friends who are going through a divorce, or being dumped by a long time girlfriend, I have seen first hand the emotional upheaval men go through. They feel like life is over for them, and it takes a couple years to recover...sometimes more. Because of it, I belong to a small group of great friends and new-bachelors who met over getting back on the horse that left the barn and ain't comin back

I knew in my heart that Waller was not coming back, or if he did, he wouldn't be a 100%, because I've dealt with guys going through divorce and that takes up about 90% of the man's head (100% of their heart). He was on cloud nine a year earlier coming fresh off an upscale incredible wedding. He must have dealt with a lot of pain that wasn't physical when he got the word from his wife that "it isn't working for her...adios MF"

I know nothing of Adoree's love life, but his down-season last year left me thinking he's dealing with home problems / relationship problems. He didn't seem focused or even mentally there at times last year...like just going through the motions. I suspect the team knows more about what's holding him back than we'll ever know

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 25, 2024, 01:17:25 PMGood point. Having befriended a lot of friends who are going through a divorce, or being dumped by a long time girlfriend, I have seen first hand the emotional upheaval men go through. They feel like life is over for them, and it takes a couple years to recover...sometimes more. Because of it, I belong to a small group of great friends and new-bachelors who met over getting back on the horse that left the barn and ain't comin back

I knew in my heart that Waller was not coming back, or if he did, he wouldn't be a 100%, because I've dealt with guys going through divorce and that takes up about 90% of the man's head (100% of their heart). He was on cloud nine a year earlier coming fresh off an upscale incredible wedding. He must have dealt with a lot of pain that wasn't physical when he got the word from his wife that "it isn't working for her...adios MF"

I know nothing of Adoree's love life, but his down-season last year left me thinking he's dealing with home problems / relationship problems. He didn't seem focused or even mentally there at times last year...like just going through the motions. I suspect the team knows more about what's holding him back than we'll ever know

Ric,

With Adoree, it may not involve his personal life at all.  He may simply think he is worth more than he really is worth.  Remember, thanks to Gettleman, Adoree experienced something few players experience.  He was cut by the Titans only to get a raise from the Giants.   So, that might have skewed things a bit in terms of his perspective.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 25, 2024, 01:33:28 PMRic,

With Adoree, it may not involve his personal life at all.  He may simply think he is worth more than he really is worth.  Remember, thanks to Gettleman, Adoree experienced something few players experience.  He was cut by the Titans only to get a raise from the Giants.   So, that might have skewed things a bit in terms of his perspective.
Remember they moved him to Slot early on. I thought it was to cover a weakness and to give Hawkins the shot on the outside. Maybe time caught up to him. When he went back outside he wasn't the same player from the years prior. Still however one of the top half corners. Of course, maybe that change screwed him up a bit too.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

2 reasons the Eagles should shut their mouths

They were beaten like a drum in their final Giants game last year

followed by being bounced from the playoffs in their 1st playofff game- crushed

no reason to be singing this song after those 2 games

Figure it out
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"