News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF ranked the Giants D-line 18th

Started by MightyGiants, June 25, 2024, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

18. NEW YORK GIANTS
Dexter Lawrence is a unique player, winning at a greater rate and with far more volume than any other nose tackle in the game when rushing the passer. Adding Brian Burns in the offseason gives the Giants a much better threat on the edge, and now the team needs Kayvon Thibodeaux to take a step forward. Though he got into double-digit sacks in Year 2, he had just 43 quarterback pressures from 520 pass-rushing snaps and his PFF pass-rushing grade declined from his rookie season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-defensive-line-rankings-new-york-jets
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

It's certainly a position of strength and I'm genuinely excited to see the havoc this unit can cause next season.

Bob In PA

I think 15th or 16th is closer to the truth (IMO a possible 11th of 12th if everything breaks our way). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

PFF is a great source for both hard stats and obscure ones, but it is not an end-all to the game of football. So I take their ratings with a grain of salt. An example: Team "A" has a pass play to an outside receiver, but team "B's" CBs have the WRs so covered, the QB dumps the ball wide to the left to an open RB that gains 12 yards. The PFF score for the DE or LB, gets a low score, even though they are on the ground at the feet of the QB that just had to get rid of the ball. The RB gets a great score, the LB who almost had a sack gets a low score for not stopping the RB. I don't know if that's a great example, but there are dozens of examples where plays play out differently than called, and players doing a good job at what they are supposed to do are now in the wrong place at the wrong time when the play turns into something entirely different from the carefully designed plan

Regardless of how PFF ranks the Giants' up-front defense, there are still eye observations and gut instincts of football coaches who design the plays and move the chess pieces accordingly. PFF is only one arrow in a quiver of arrows - useful, but not the end-all to the game. I fully believe we have a top 10 D-line, maybe even better
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 25, 2024, 12:28:38 PMPFF is a great source for both hard stats and obscure ones, but it is not an end-all to the game of football. So I take their ratings with a grain of salt. An example: Team "A" has a pass play to an outside receiver, but team "B's" CBs have the WRs so covered, the QB dumps the ball wide to the left to an open RB that gains 12 yards. The PFF score for the DE or LB, gets a low score, even though they are on the ground at the feet of the QB that just had to get rid of the ball. The RB gets a great score, the LB who almost had a sack gets a low score for not stopping the RB. I don't know if that's a great example, but there are dozens of examples where plays play out differently than called, and players doing a good job at what they are supposed to do are now in the wrong place at the wrong time when the play turns into something entirely different from the carefully designed plan

Regardless of how PFF ranks the Giants' up-front defense, there are still eye observations and gut instincts of football coaches who design the plays and move the chess pieces accordingly. PFF is only one arrow in a quiver of arrows - useful, but not the end-all to the game. I fully believe we have a top 10 D-line, maybe even better

I am currently reading a book about PFF (how it started etc).  I agree that their grades should not be considered absolute.   That said, I think they are a nice jumping-off point for discussions.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 25, 2024, 12:33:13 PMI am currently reading a book about PFF (how it started etc).  I agree that their grades should not be considered absolute.   That said, I think they are a nice jumping-off point for discussions.

PFF should start rating coaches IMO. Wouldn't that be a hoot  :hmm:
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above