News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Evan Neal getting one more chance with New York Giants

Started by brownelvis54, June 27, 2024, 10:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Can beleaguered third-year right tackle take advantage of it?

The saying goes that you are only as strong as your weakest link. For two years, Evan Neal has been considered the weakest link on the New York Giants' offensive line.

Will that change in 2024? Entering the season, the third-year right tackle remains the line's biggest question mark. Can he stay healthy? Can he improve on his sub-par play in his first two seasons? Will he even make it to Week 1 as the team's starting right tackle?

It's time to talk about Neal as we continue our player-by-player profiles of the Giants' 90-man roster.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/6/27/24184128/new-york-giants-roster-preview-evan-neal-getting-one-more-chance-with-giants
The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

I know this topic has been covered a few times, but the question still remains the same. Can the new coach bring Neal back to what he was in college. I didnt realize some of the things Schoen said prior and after the draft.

"It helps when you're going to draft a player at number 7 and you get to see him do what you're going to ask him to do. That makes you feel good," Schoen said. "We definitely went back, we studied his tape from last season when he was at right tackle and even watched some of the stuff at guard. His versatility is important. One guy goes down in a game, it helps the eight guys you take on game day. If a guy can move around like that and help you out, that's an added plus, too."

MightyGiants

I would feel better about Neal if he was a bit lighter.

Height: 6-foot-7
Weight: 340

I think Neal would have better balance and quickness if he shed 20 to 25 pounds
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

It's hard to believe so many evaluators got it wrong with Neal. It feels like the injuries played a huge part IMO. You cant get on the field while injured and therefore how can you learn? Also Bobby Johnson didn't seem to help. Just a perfect storm for the young rookie. Prior to the draft I don't remember anyone saying he was not a top 10 in the draft

Ed Vette

Mike Remmers has been the Giants best RT in the last ten years. Just wrap your head around that.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on June 27, 2024, 11:23:45 AMIt's hard to believe so many evaluators got it wrong with Neal. It feels like the injuries played a huge part IMO. You cant get on the field while injured and therefore how can you learn? Also Bobby Johnson didn't seem to help. Just a perfect storm for the young rookie. Prior to the draft I don't remember anyone saying he was not a top 10 in the draft

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 1
NFL Comparison
Jordan Mailata
Overview
Three-year starter with rare combination of measurables, talent and pedigree. Neal has experience against the best competition the college game has to offer. He has started at both left and right tackle and should project on the left side if he can continue to manage his weight. While he has flashes of greatness on tape, he doesn't always maintain that level throughout a game. Intensity and consistency are two areas that will be key in matching performance with profile. Technique has been drilled into him and Neal plays with good fundamentals across the board. He's well-versed and capable in a variety of run schemes and has correctable areas of improvement in pass protection. Neal will come into the league as a good NFL starter, but greatness will require additional attitude and action.

Strengths
Has played against top-level competition over his three seasons.
Much quicker after dropping 15 pounds in the offseason.
Well-schooled in technical aspects of the position.
Knows how it is supposed to look and can replicate it on consistent basis.
Moves with fluidity and body control.
Patient and accurate fitting up into initial contact.
Strikes with proper leverage and explosive lift at point of attack.
Hand placement and leg churn carves out space with down block.
Variety of pass-set angles and techniques are at his disposal.
Twitchy out of his stance and into his slides.
Keeps the majority of weight on inside leg in pass sets.
Well-timed hands put his length in play early in the rep.
Times up punches to maximize his length.
Nimble and capable to redirect and slide to inside move.
Quick to reset a discarded punch attempt.
Good release/mirror/catch technique versus spin moves.
Weaknesses
Weight has been and could be a future concern.
Play lacks consistent intensity and attitude.
Average snap quickness.
Feet need to come with hands to prevent excessive lean laterally.
Average response success to moving fronts.
Effort to sustain and finish was hot and cold in 2021.
Average hand command to cinch up the rush.
Tendency to absorb too much force from power rushers.
Base starts to break down at the top of the rush.
Lacks firmness of anchor for a man his size.
Sources Tell Us

"He will be a good pro but I don't see him as being the best tackle to come out of this class. He's getting an Alabama push from (the media), in my opinion." -- Executive for NFC team

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/evan-neal/32004e45-4116-2928-ef52-cc385312d2f6
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 27, 2024, 10:41:31 AMI would feel better about Neal if he was a bit lighter.

Height: 6-foot-7
Weight: 340

I think Neal would have better balance and quickness if he shed 20 to 25 pounds

His lateral agility and inability to quickly establish passing block sets are the reasons I don't believe he'll live up to his promise, at least not as a RT.  I concur that he should lose some weight; however, I'm not convinced it will significantly help with the aforementioned issues. Regardless, I think you're right, Rich...he at least needs to try to drop some LBs. 

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 27, 2024, 12:57:39 PMMike Remmers has been the Giants best RT in the last ten years. Just wrap your head around that.

I had to fact check this as I refused to believe it was accurate; turns out, I couldn't find a better RT.  How sad is that, Ed?

Painter

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 27, 2024, 01:00:48 PMWho was worse, Neal or Flowers?

We know Flowers was a bust as an OLT throughout his NFL career- he had only a few snaps at ORT in 2018- before being replaced by Chad Wheeler and then cut. He may then have done a little better at OLG for Washington and Miami in his final 3 years, but not by a lot. Not only was he a turnstile and penalty machine but what might be thought to be even worse is that his former offensive line teammate and NFL analyst Geoff Schwartz didn't just accuse him of missing blocks, and of having poor technique but of "quitting" on the team".

Let's hope that, whatever may be the cause of Evan Neal's struggles at Right Tackle, he will never be accused of quitting on the team.

Cheers!

BluesCruz

We should hire a consulting group to pick our OLinemen.

One thing Ive noticed is that good linemen are generally in shape

We roll out a lot of linemen that are overweight or underpowered. I noticed one of the free agents we just brought in to start at Guard has a beer belly thats worthy of Oktoberfest

Take a look at he Giants Oline from the late 50s early 60s. Stroud, Greer, Wytecha, Brown
These guys were in excellent shape, big, strong.....no fatties   Or the GB Packers from the same era

Philly I noticed puts a lot of draft capital on the line and they are well conditioned athletes

I agree Neal benefited from the Alabama Hype.  I shudder at the thought of another Neal season
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

spiderblue43

Redfaced  That's going to be Schoen for his major miss. Can't believe they are willing to risk getting Jones kayoed..again.

Overweight and under performance is all I foresee with Neal. There must be some simple give-up early. He is all hype.

EDjohnst1981

I think we should measure his development curve against the number of games played.

He's played what, 20 something games?

MightyGiants

If there were awards for NFL agent's Neal's agent, Nicole Lynn (Klutch Sports Group), would be my winner.

They played the NFL draft machine like a fiddle.  They posted a video on social media of Neal

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/11QBRirXSm4?app=desktop

Then Neal didn't do a single Combine or Pro Day drill.   Everyone was impressed by Neal's stunt; they ignored the fact that a man with questionable athletic traits on the field refused to perform.

I have a feeling if Neal had done the Combine, he would have done so poorly that he would have dropped to day two of the draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

When we suggest that Neal is overweight, what weight are we referring to: the 350 lbs. he carried at Alabama, the 340 lbs the media's current Roster round number, or 337 lbs. that he measured at the Combine? 

His 7' 1/2, 337 Combine numbers got a Wow! from Field Yates, and a "Carries 337 pounds like it's 250," FOX Sports' Colin Cowherd tweeted. "Lord. Pick him number one (with) no reservations at all."

A photo of Neal from the Combine has him looking mean and lean and in no way overweight and in need of Ozempic. And for worth it's worth, whether or not he actively participated, he did rank No.1 at OT in Athleticism and Overall, at the Combine. Rather odd, huh?

While he has struggled mightily in his 2 seasons and 20 games with Our Heroes, they must now determine how much, if any has been related to coaching and/or setup and technique changes, or is he simply a fraud as an ORT?

Cheers!