News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Crazy Giants Stat

Started by Philosophers, June 27, 2024, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

In researching one of the trivia questions for another post, I can upon this stat.

In 1970, the Giants starting 5 OL missed a total of only 4 games.  14 game season

In 2023, the Giants starting 5 PL missed a total of something like 25 games.  17 game season

In spite of only 3 more games played, a 6x increase in missed games.

Wow.  What does that say? 

H-Town G-Fan

... That the game is wildly different than it was 53 years ago? Offensive linemen back then weighed around 250 lbs. Tack on 60+ pounds of muscle and account for the increase in the weight and strength of the guys hitting you (who are also much bigger) and is it any surprise the toll on the human body is greater? Yes, medical technology is advanced, but physics is physics and mass times speed doesn't care that much about ultrasound therapies.

Also, are we accounting for the quality of life of those players at all? Go look at the hands of Anthony Munoz (or some of the other linemen from that era) today... but do yourself a favor and don't have a heavy meal before doing so. There's a cost to being an ironman. Worthy of respect? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean it's beyond criticism.

AZGiantFan

How about this one.  In 2008 all 5 offensive linemen started all 16 games.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 27, 2024, 02:32:50 PMHow about this one.  In 2008 all 5 offensive linemen started all 16 games.

There's a lot to be said for avoiding injuries, especially to key players at important times. Despite all of today's fal-de-ral... like (1) having so many coaches; (2) use of bank of computers and other technology to plan things out and analyze what's happening; (3) over-attention to minute details; and (4) presence of numerous other doodads and accouterments, games still come down to basic stuff that never changes... like sheer luck.

If Vince Lombardi could return, I believe his offense would still do well (even in today's pass-happy NFL) by running the same handful of plays the Packers ran during their string of good teams, great seasons and many championships.

In addition, stuff like trying hard and not making mistakes never goes out of style.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 28, 2024, 09:44:38 AMThere's a lot to be said for avoiding injuries, especially to key players at important times. Despite all of today's fal-de-ral... like (1) having so many coaches; (2) use of bank of computers and other technology to plan things out and analyze what's happening; (3) over-attention to minute details; and (4) presence of numerous other doodads and accouterments, games still come down to basic stuff that never changes... like sheer luck.

If Vince Lombardi could return, I believe his offense would still do well (even in today's pass-happy NFL) by running the same handful of plays the Packers ran during their string of good teams, great seasons and many championships.

In addition, stuff like trying hard and not making mistakes never goes out of style.

Bob

The funny thing is, that was before all of the restricted practice time, rest days for vets, limited pitch count, etc. that have become so common in training camp that are supposed to reduce injuries.  Is it possible that rather than reduce injuries those things foster injuries?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

I just think in the 1970s players played through more pain.  Game was more violent then.

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on June 28, 2024, 01:18:24 PMThe funny thing is, that was before all of the restricted practice time, rest days for vets, limited pitch count, etc. that have become so common in training camp that are supposed to reduce injuries.  Is it possible that rather than reduce injuries those things foster injuries?

AZRich: That thought has also occurred to me... and I don't know the answer and doubt that it's possible to know... we're probably going to have to settle for simply having a suspicion about the issue. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Guys, I have little doubt the current medical science is sound.  What I do suspect is that in the past, it was survival of the fittest.   Now, thanks to medical science, less sturdy players are able to enjoy NFL careers.  Those less sturdy players are less likely to make it through a season uninjured.

Besides, those extra 3 games that players are being asked to play do make a difference.  They are essentially tacked on to the end of the season when bodies are already beaten up.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE