News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

33rd team ranks the Giants the 2nd least talented roster in the NFL

Started by MightyGiants, June 27, 2024, 12:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

2.  NEW YORK GIANTS
There are times when a great play-caller just doesn't cut it as a great head coach due to their personnel decisions, and the New York Giants seem to be experiencing that with Brian Daboll.

When he took over, the Giants were in an odd spot, simultaneously lacking cap flexibility and roster talent. Daboll overachieved by making the playoffs in Year 1, and then the team crashed hard in 2023 as several limitations and more injuries ravaged the roster.

Losing Saquon Barkley and Xavier McKinney this offseason won't help the Giants get back on track. The additions of Malik Nabers, Jon Runyan, Brian Burns, and Tyler Nubin are considerable, but there is still a lot of pressure on an underwhelming offensive line and QB Daniel Jones.

New York has little depth at receiver and no standout tailback, and it is banking on Evan Neal to take a giant leap for the offense to be sustainably average.

The roster's foundation is at least interesting, with Nabers, Andrew Thomas, Burns, Kayvon Thibodeaux, and a promising cornerback room looking like capable leaders for the future. It's just not enough right now, though.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/ranking-nfls-10-worst-rosters-entering-2024-season/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Little depth at Receiver? They will carry 5-6 Receivers. Four of them would start on any team.

Burns, Thibs and Dex make them at least middle of the pack. They are top 5-10 in anyones book.

The MLB's balance out at least middle of the pack and Bobby O is top ten.

I'm not saying they have a strong roster but they're young and certainly have a lot to prove.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

gregf

Agree with Ed. The receivers look promising. Elumenor minimizes the Neal risk.  A safety is not as critical as the key D line pieces.  A running back was not able to get us over the hump with Eli when he had fresh legs. We are still building the foundation.

MightyGiants

Schoen has had 3 offseasons to build the Giants roster.  What does that say about his ability as a GM if the Giants are being ranked consistently at or near the bottom for overall roster talent?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 28, 2024, 06:50:32 AMSchoen has had 3 offseasons to build the Giants roster.  What does that say about his ability as a GM if the Giants are being ranked consistently at or near the bottom for overall roster talent?

At best, it's saying three offseasons cannot offset a near decade of mismanagement.

At worst, it's saying that he cannot build a competent roster.

The truth is probably in the middle.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on June 28, 2024, 07:31:43 AMAt best, it's saying three offseasons cannot offset a near decade of mismanagement.

At worst, it's saying that he cannot build a competent roster.

The truth is probably in the middle.

Schoen inherited a team with limited talent.  Although, arguably, the two best players on the team were already there with Dex and Andrew Thomas.    Schoen has also shed other talented players, which he inherited from McKinney, Love, Leonard Williams, and Barkley.   There were cap issues in year one, but those were resolved in Schoen's first season.

What Schoen did enjoy was plenty of draft capital.  He had the 5th and 7th pick in his first draft and an extra day 2 pick. 

While it may be asking too much to take a bad roster and make it a Super Bowl caliber in three offseasons, I think you should be able to at least get it to the middle to above the middle in three seasons, even with some issues.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 28, 2024, 07:38:52 AMSchoen inherited a team with limited talent.  Although, arguably, the two best players on the team were already there with Dex and Andrew Thomas.    Schoen has also shed other talented players, which he inherited from McKinney, Love, Leonard Williams, and Barkley.   There were cap issues in year one, but those were resolved in Schoen's first season.

What Schoen did enjoy was plenty of draft capital.  He had the 5th and 7th pick in his first draft and an extra day 2 pick. 

While it may be asking too much to take a bad roster and make it a Super Bowl caliber in three offseasons, I think you should be able to at least get it to the middle to above the middle in three seasons, even with some issues.

All of those players listed, save for Williams was basically a cap casualty though, weren't they? The giants couldn't afford them. Love in particular as that was a Love v Slayton matchup and basically the contracts were similar (apologies if I've misremembered).

I'll be honest, I'm expecting much out of a 5-7th round picks. I certainly wouldn't be expecting them to contribute within the first 2 years. There are exceptions to that but bar and large, I don't think you can hold much hope on.

I'm not too sure what else we can expect from JS with what he had to deal with.

By no means am I a happy fan. I'm not sure what else he could have done.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on June 28, 2024, 08:39:10 AMAll of those players listed, save for Williams was basically a cap casualty though, weren't they? The giants couldn't afford them. Love in particular as that was a Love v Slayton matchup and basically the contracts were similar (apologies if I've misremembered).

I'll be honest, I'm expecting much out of a 5-7th round picks. I certainly wouldn't be expecting them to contribute within the first 2 years. There are exceptions to that but bar and large, I don't think you can hold much hope on.

I'm not too sure what else we can expect from JS with what he had to deal with.

By no means am I a happy fan. I'm not sure what else he could have done.

I am not sure I would say cap casualties.  The Giants had money to retain Barkley and Jones.  The Giants also had money to sign free agents each of the offseasons.   In fairness, the Burns signing alone could have retained the good players that were lost (plus the loss of the high 2nd rounderer)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Yeah, everybody has an opinion, and every opinion is either good or bad.  This is one of those. lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!