News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do you feel about the direction of the team? *Guests can vote

Started by MightyGiants, June 28, 2024, 07:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the direction of the team

MightyGiants

With 3 offseasons in the book, how do you feel about the direction of the team?  Do you think they are getting better, treading water, or going in the wrong direction?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

I voted for not sure.

1 play off campaign
1 disaster of a season

Nothing really consistent in either, I'll need to see how this plays out but there are glaring problems which they have attempted to mitigate - re-invetsed in the Oline and what should be an A Grade weapon for Jones.

The D line has a nice addition in Burns, so that should be exciting.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm not sold by the running back room. I am expecting quite a drop-off from Barkley's near 1000 yard season, despite it being the right decision to walk away.

All in all, I feel it impossible to put my finger in the air and decide which way the wind is blowing.

Hoping for the best.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on June 28, 2024, 07:30:01 AMI voted for not sure.

1 play off campaign
1 disaster of a season

Nothing really consistent in either, I'll need to see how this plays out but there are glaring problems which they have attempted to mitigate - re-invetsed in the Oline and what should be an A Grade weapon for Jones.

The D line has a nice addition in Burns, so that should be exciting.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm not sold by the running back room. I am expecting quite a drop-off from Barkley's near 1000 yard season, despite it being the right decision to walk away.

All in all, I feel it impossible to put my finger in the air and decide which way the wind is blowing.

Hoping for the best.

I shared your view.  At the end of the day, teams are still built through the draft.  While Schoen inherited a team that wasn't that talented and had cap issues, one thing he has had is plenty of draft capital.  So Schoen's fate rests on how these players ultimately develop:

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

They need a QB and squandered a chance to get one thanks to Devitos 3 game winning streak. So until they fix that spot they'll never be a super bowl contender. The rest of the roster seems really well put together. The latest revamp of the OL withstanding.  If they can just squeeze average QB out of Jones they could be pretty good. If they can somehow get an above average QB in there in the next year or so...watch out!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on June 28, 2024, 08:42:48 AMThey need a QB and squandered a chance to get one thanks to Devitos 3 game winning streak. So until they fix that spot they'll never be a super bowl contender. The rest of the roster seems really well put together. The latest revamp of the OL withstanding.  If they can just squeeze average QB out of Jones they could be pretty good. If they can somehow get an above average QB in there in the next year or so...watch out!

Had the Giants traded away the two marketable talents they didn't intend to keep, Barkley and McKinny, I doubt the three-game winning streak would happen, and likely, the Giants would have a new QB (and extra draft capital to fill more holes). 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Dabs poor team preparation last preseason plus his in season meltdowns have me concerned.  Also, Schoen's player acquisitions have been very spotty.

This season is needed to determine if they should be fired or not.

LennG

Rewarding Jones with that huge contract was Shoens biggest mistake. That will set the team back another 4-5 years.
Simply said as long as Jones is our QB we are headed in the wrong direction.

Plus we just seem to get rid of our star players and keep the guys who sing kumbaya in the locker room. We need talent everywhere and when we get someone who can play this game on a higher level we let them leave and then hope to sign someone else, cheaper, to do the same job. Talent doesn't grow on trees and to let whatever talent we do have just walk away is simply foolish. Other team figure out ways to retain Talent, not us.

Spinning our wheels
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm the homer who voted for the first choice. I really believe that we are building a strong foundation and are at the cusp of breaking out. My only real fear: injuries  ~X(

If we stay healthy, I believe we can dance with anyone and get our share of "W's" in the column. Now, if only the gods of ACLs and broken bones will smile upon us for a change
I told my teenage son, when I was his age, I used to get 10 CDs in the mail for a penny. I don't know if he thought I was lying or even knew what a CD was, or what a penny was, or what the mail was, or all of the above

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 28, 2024, 08:59:38 AMHad the Giants traded away the two marketable talents they didn't intend to keep, Barkley and McKinny, I doubt the three-game winning streak would happen, and likely, the Giants would have a new QB (and extra draft capital to fill more holes). 

Completely agree.  It was a poor decision to just sit on those guys and don't know why you would do that unless just not wanting to answer questions about "tanking" as if that is somehow a dirty word when it is precisely how you jump start a rebuild.

DaveBrown74

I had to go with the "somewhat disappointed" category.

We have shown absolutely no signs of getting sustainably better since the dreaded Gettleman era. We have a bottom five and perhaps bottom three QB room in the league as it stands right now, we still have yet to solve (or even demonstrably improve) our O line situation, we have not brought in quality free agents that have meaningfully panned out, some of our draft picks look highly questionable at best (particularly O line picks), our D has some nice young players but has yet to function at a high level as a unit, and there are some question marks with our coaching staff.

I like Schoen and still believe in him, which is why I hold him to a high standard and am therefore "somewhat disappointed" with his results so far. I don't see how any fan with any standards could be content or encouraged by what was put on the field last season. Meanwhile we are going to take a $47mm cap hit on a QB who had a 70 QB rating and threw for two TDs in six games last year before getting seriously injured for for the fourth time in five seasons in the National Football League.

"Somewhat disappointed" is frankly generous. This is a team whom I watched win four Super Bowls in my lifetime to this point, and I'm not even 50 yet. They have been a dumpster fire for a decade, and it needs to change.

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 28, 2024, 08:59:38 AMHad the Giants traded away the two marketable talents they didn't intend to keep, Barkley and McKinny, I doubt the three-game winning streak would happen, and likely, the Giants would have a new QB (and extra draft capital to fill more holes). 
Much too radical for Mara to sign off on.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on June 28, 2024, 05:36:47 PMMuch too radical for Mara to sign off on.

If something as straightforward  as trading a player you are certain you won't be signing in the offseason for draft capital when you know your team is not a playoff team is "much too radical" for the person calling the final shots in this organization, then it's hard to hold out much optimism, even for the long term.

Hopefully that is not the case.

4 Aces

I was squarely in the middle. Not sure. At the risk of repeating myself around here - this is the make or break year for all involved. Premium resources have been invested at all the core positions. They've chosen a QB to pay. They've spent $350M+ (guaranteed) in free agency the last 2 years. 1/3 of a billion.

The seeds have been planted. They've been given enough sun and water. Either they sprout into a bumper crop, or we need a new farmer. Whether anyone feels good or bad right now, we'll just have to see if they made the right investments.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 28, 2024, 05:56:00 PMIf something as straightforward  as trading a player you are certain you won't be signing in the offseason for draft capital when you know your team is not a playoff team is "much too radical" for the person calling the final shots in this organization, then it's hard to hold out much optimism, even for the long term.

Hopefully that is not the case.
That's why I can never be optimistic about the Giants. No innovation from the top.

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll