News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does anyone here believe Tommy D really got a fair shot last year?

Started by BluesCruz, June 29, 2024, 06:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

We would watch Jones (22-37-1)- game after game playing at a level that just didn't cut it....and get chance after chance after chance to rationalize his presence as a starting QB
and #1 Pick

Tommy 3-1 has one bad game after having taken an unbelievably violent head shot against the Bounty Bread Saints....and he gets yanked for an ancient QB (albeit marginally effective QB) everyone knew had no future with the team.

DeVito showed a poise and leadership we have not seen in a long time.  He definitely has the brains,
instincts, and arm that many NFL teams would like to see in their starter.  Very much like Purdy in my mind.

If Daboll had any sense (as his head is definitely on the chopping block this year).  He would declare a pre-season open competition for the starting QB role.   

Maybe fear of Mara's wrath would make this a non-starter though. 
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

DeVito went undrafted. The Giants brought him in, eventually put him on the roster, eventually started him, and then left him in as the starter for an extended period, including even after Tyrod Taylor was healthy enough to return. The Giants gave DeVito more than a fair shot last year. No other team wanted him, they kept him, and they played him over a quality veteran backup. They owe DeVito absolutely nothing and hardly denied him of an opportunity. They only "yanked" him after he was horrible in two consecutive games.

What undrafted NFL QB has gotten more of an opportunity as a rookie than DeVito got last year any time in the last two or three decades? How was anything about DeVito's season last year not fair?

BluesCruz

Daniel Jones record 22-37-1 has just about pulled even with your namesake Dave Brown 26-34

Time to dump Jones and declare a moratarium on drafting Duke QBs in the future

I hope Tommy gets another shot with us....more likely he goes elsewhere and we suffer his thriving there.  I liked the way he handled himself.  Far more confidence than Jones shows  Parcells said famously QB success is 90% between the ears

Jones has survived 37 losses in 5 seasons  Yet we keep wheeling him out there. Definition of insanity is- repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

Also what good did bringing in the ancient warrior?  Get him slot with the Jets?  How did that help us?

DaveBrown74

I'm not saying any of the other Giants' QBs are good or that they have long term futures with the team. That is a totally separate point. But the idea that DeVito didn't get a "fair shot" last year is not one I can even vaguely get on board with. They kept him in after Taylor was healthy and didn't take him out until he utterly stunk, not just in one game, but in two in a row. Leaving him in, playing like that, with the perfectly serviceable and more experienced Taylor standing healthy on the sidelines would have been pure insanity.

Again, I challenge you or anyone else to name an undrafted rookie QB who got more of a shot (ie started more games) with his team in his rookie season than DeVito did last year, anytime in this millennium, or even going further back than that if you want.

BluesCruz

I think Tommy should have been given more rope

What the Saints did to him and got away with was criminal...those Refs should be fired
no flag, no league inquiry

Guys sliding you don't get a free shot at his head

Also he has a future or possible one.  Tyrod was headed out the door.  no benefit there
just showcasing the guy to save his career

Neither Jones or Taylor were the answer

Tommy and Drew may be.....you have to play them to find out.  I think we know at this point what Jones brings to the party- mediocrity at best

I hope he makes me eat these words but its doubtful

Do you think Jones has more upside he has not shown?

sxdxca38

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 29, 2024, 08:30:50 AMI think Tommy should have been given more rope

What the Saints did to him and got away with was criminal...those Refs should be fired

Also he has a future or possible one.  Tyrod was headed out the door.  no benefit there

Tommy and Drew may be.....you have to play them to find out.  I think we know at this point what Jones brings to the party- mediocrity at best

Hi,

All of the beat writers including the Giants very own John Schmelk and Kim Jones have both said unanimously, that Daniel Jones in OTA's looks head and shoulders better than Lock and Devito, and it's not even close.

With the drafting of Nabers, the right move is to start DJ and to see with a true #1 if he has a bounce back year, and if he thrives in 2024.

After 5-6 games, if he is struggling and doesn't look like the answer, then at that point you can start Devito, but as of right now, it is DJ's position to lose, and I believe, as well as more than a few Giant fans, that he is going to have a bounce back year.

Painter

Yes, and quite clearly so do those whose opinions actually matter.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 29, 2024, 08:30:50 AMI think Tommy should have been given more rope

I don't think the Giants' long term QB is part of the organization right now.

Despite the fact that Jones was terrible last year, I think he is a better QB than DeVito, yes. Considerably.

To me the absolute best case scenario for DeVito's future in the NFL is being a respectable backup type getting paid the future dollar equivalent of 2023 Tyrod Taylor type money. For someone who didn't even get drafted and had an undistinguished college career, that would hardly be anything to be ashamed of. That would be a success story. I appreciate you have said you think his upside is to be a Tom Brady level player (ie the best or second best ever), but that is just not how I see it. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, and there is nothing wrong with disagreement.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 29, 2024, 09:16:54 AMI don't think the Giants' long term QB is part of the organization right now.

Despite the fact that Jones was terrible last year, I think he is a better QB than DeVito, yes. Considerably.

To me the absolute best case scenario for DeVito's future in the NFL is being a respectable backup type getting paid the future dollar equivalent of 2023 Tyrod Taylor type money. For someone who didn't even get drafted and had an undistinguished college career, that would hardly be anything to be ashamed of. That would be a success story. I appreciate you have said you think his upside is to be a Tom Brady level player (ie the best or second best ever), but that is just not how I see it. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, and there is nothing wrong with disagreement.

Sorry Dave but lets agree to disagree
I don't really care what Kim Jones says......pretty face that knows a bit about football

those Jones stick together

Daniel does not have it upstairs....as we saw in a recent debate
Upstairs matters

Hes smart, just not football smart

DeVito has a long HS and college history of excellence

Jone was a Meh QB from Duke

Blame that dope Gettleman for this....I think he was a NE plant myself

He should be made to walk over hot coals LOL

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 29, 2024, 09:34:28 AMSorry Dave but lets agree to disagree
I don't really care what Kim Jones says......pretty face that knows a bit about football

those Jones stick together

Daniel does not have it upstairs....as we saw in a recent debate
Upstairs matters

Hes smart, just not football smart

DeVito has a long HS and college history of excellence

Jone was a Meh QB from Duke

Blame that dope Gettleman for this....I think he was a NE plant myself

He should be made to walk over hot coals LOL

First off, what does Kim Jones have to do with anything I wrote, either in the post of mine you are quoting or in any other post I have made in this thread (or any other recent thread for that matter). I have not brought her up or quoted her once.

Secondly, you are building a straw man. You're turning this into some sort of debate about whether Jones is good or not. That has nothing to do with whether DeVito got a fair shot or not, which is the whole underlying question of this thread that you yourself started. One subject has nothing to do with the other. Especially considering that when DeVito was pulled, Jones was already long since out for the season.

I am happy to have a discussion, but if you're going to twist the topic into something else that has nothing to do with what we were talking about, I don't have any interest in continuing.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 29, 2024, 10:10:30 AMFirst off, what does Kim Jones have to do with anything I wrote, either in the post of mine you are quoting or in any other post I have made in this thread (or any other recent thread for that matter). I have not brought her up or quoted her once.

Secondly, you are building a straw man. You're turning this into some sort of debate about whether Jones is good or not. That has nothing to do with whether DeVito got a fair shot or not, which is the whole underlying question of this thread that you yourself started. One subject has nothing to do with the other. Especially considering that when DeVito was pulled, Jones was already long since out for the season.

I am happy to have a discussion, but if you're going to twist the topic into something else that has nothing to do with what we were talking about, I don't have any interest in continuing.

Sorry Kim was referenced in another post on this string, my apologies
There was mention that Jones looks great in OTAs. No pressure in OTAs

King of the OTAs has constantly steered the ship on the rocks in real games

Sorry ....tired of losing

You yourself mentioned how bad the QB room looked in another post

I think the QB room would look better without Jones

His inability to throw long or even try, drove me crazy last year.
He does not feel the rush
He birddogs his targets too often

Schoen paid him crazy money when he could just have tagged him to see if he could improve.
Now we are stuck in quicksand

Frankly if we had kept Ol Tyrod and started him I'd feel more comfortable than the robotic Jones

Lets see...he obviously will start if he is able.  Lots of fans hopes and Giants jobs hang in the balance
Not to mention medium diet cokes

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on June 29, 2024, 10:33:23 AMSorry Kim was referenced in another post on this string, my apologies
There was mention that Jones looks great in OTAs. No pressure in OTAs

King of the OTAs has constantly steered the ship on the rocks in real games

Sorry ....tired of losing

You yourself mentioned how bad the QB room looked in another post

I think the QB room would look better without Jones

His inability to throw long or even try, drove me crazy last year.
He does not feel the rush
He birddogs his targets too often

Schoen paid him crazy money when he could just have tagged him to see if he could improve.
Now we are stuck in quicksand

Frankly if we had kept Ol Tyrod and started him I'd feel more comfortable than the robotic Jones

Lets see...he obviously will start if he is able.  Lots of fans hopes and Giants jobs hang in the balance
Not to mention medium diet cokes

I get all that on Jones, but he can't be gotten rid of this year. So there is no sense in debating him. He's probably not going to be a Giant after this season, but for now they're stuck with him. It is what it is.

I think DeVito won't make the 53 but will likely make it back to our practice squad. There's maybe a 10% or possibly 15% chance someone grabs him, but I doubt it. But even if it does happen it's not a big deal. At least not to me. And I don't think it is to anyone with any decision making capacity on this team. If they liked DeVito enough to not be willing to take even a small risk of losing him, they would not have signed Drew Lock.

Jclayton92

I just don't see it with Devito. I'm with Dave 99.9% the Qb of the future isn't on the team currently.

BluesCruz

Perhaps
Let's see how it shakes out

Lock as a good pickup

If anyone
Wants jones id be all on board to start lock and Tommy back him up

Jones is fragile.  May not be out there
long with Neal the turnstile out there

andrew_nyGiants

I was a big fan of the STORY of Tommy DeVito and he came close to writing the first chapter last season.

That being said, if....and it's a big IF he ever develops into NFL starter level, he would need at least two more years on this roster and getting in an average of 5 games per season. That would be bad for everyone IMVHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!