News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF ranks the Giants LB corps 5th overall

Started by MightyGiants, June 30, 2024, 08:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

5. NEW YORK GIANTS
The Giants are solid at their starting linebacker spots. Bobby Okereke's 78.9 PFF grade ranked 13th at the position in 2023, and Micah McFadden came in at No. 46 in his second season in the league. They also have Isaiah Simmons, who hasn't lived up to his billing as a top-10 draft pick but was a useful depth player for the team last year, earning an 82.7 PFF coverage grade on 203 snaps.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-linebacker-unit-rankings-new-york-jets-san-francisco-49ers
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I guess this explains the 18th ranking for the D-line. They're using calling 3-4 OLB linebackers and just focusing on the three defensive linemen with their rankings. That's fair enough and technically accurate.

if you just take a simplistic view and average our 18th ranking for D line and our 5th ranking for linebackers, you get that we're something like 11th or 12th for front seven, according to PFF. Since there are technically four linebackers and three D linemen in a 3-4, then it's probably reasonable to give more weight to the 5th ranking for linebackers and call us a top 10 front seven in PFF's eyes.

BTW in no way am I saying PFF is some bible or anything like that. I'm just extrapolating their take to our whole front seven. It's not meant to be some huge endorsement of them.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 30, 2024, 09:38:42 AMI guess this explains the 18th ranking for the D-line. They're using calling 3-4 OLB linebackers and just focusing on the three defensive linemen with their rankings. That's fair enough and technically accurate.

if you just take a simplistic view and average our 18th ranking for D line and our 5th ranking for linebackers, you get that we're something like 11th or 12th for front seven, according to PFF. Since there are technically four linebackers and three D linemen in a 3-4, then it's probably reasonable to give more weight to the 5th ranking for linebackers and call us a top 10 front seven in PFF's eyes.

BTW in no way am I saying PFF is some bible or anything like that. I'm just extrapolating their take to our whole front seven. It's not meant to be some huge endorsement of them.

"With the important caveat that we are looking only at off-ball linebackers here, not outside linebackers who are edge defenders, here are our 2024 rankings for every linebacker group in the NFL."
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 30, 2024, 09:43:57 AM"With the important caveat that we are looking only at off-ball linebackers here, not outside linebackers who are edge defenders, here are our 2024 rankings for every linebacker group in the NFL."

Missed that-  thanks for clarifying.

This ranking surprises me then, as much as I like Okereke.