News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Albert Breer names Giants "a dark horse candidate" for the Super Bowl

Started by MightyGiants, July 01, 2024, 08:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In the NFC, I think I'd give you the New York Giants, if you want a true dark horse. They need development from 2022 first-rounder Kayvon Thibodeaux. They need to figure it out at quarterback, whether it's Daniel Jones or, if things break wrong for him, Drew Lock. But their rookie class looked dynamite in the spring, I think Brian Burns might be the best acquisition of the offseason, and they were really good two years ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-mailbag-super-bowl-dark-horses
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Interesting.

I don't really see what his angle is here exactly. Is he saying one of Jones or Lock will surprise and have a big season? Even if Thibodeaux continues his ascent and becomes a pro-bowler alongside Burns playing well on the other side, you still have the offense and its inability to get touchdowns as a major issue. Nabers could and should help with that, but downgrading from Barkley to Singletary doesn't really. The O line additions are not high profile, and our young O linemen (ex Thomas) have shown nothing.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised with this team, and no question an outcome like 9-8 and perhaps limping into the last wildcard is certainly possible, but Super Bowl dark horse? That seems like a reach to me, to say the absolute least, and Breer doesn't really satisfactorily explain why he feels that way either.

kartanoman

You don't talk about a Super Bowl contender in the same sentence with "if this" AND "if that."

If you need that many "ifs," then you're not even the darkest of dark horses. You're the old gray mare that ain't what you used to be, or you ain't never been, so I'll be respectful and get my daily  :laugh: at of this individual, continue to retain the posture of mild expectations and wait and see, week by week, and go from there.

1. Fix the Damn O-Line
2. Close the gap between themselves and their NFC East Division Rivals
3. Improve Lost Man-Games Due to Injury

Not a single one of these critical issues is addressed. This isn't fantasy football, son.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

Quote from: kartanoman on July 01, 2024, 09:26:00 AMYou don't talk about a Super Bowl contender in the same sentence with "if this" AND "if that."

If you need that many "ifs," then you're not even the darkest of dark horses. You're the old gray mare that ain't what you used to be, or you ain't never been, so I'll be respectful and get my daily  :laugh: at of this individual, continue to retain the posture of mild expectations and wait and see, week by week, and go from there.

1. Fix the Damn O-Line
2. Close the gap between themselves and their NFC East Division Rivals
3. Improve Lost Man-Games Due to Injury

Not a single one of these critical issues is addressed. This isn't fantasy football, son.

Peace!

This post should be sent to Breer.

BluesCruz

Vegas has us at 150-1 to win the SB

0.01% likely to happen

Actually its a nice bet but I wear blue tinted glasses   So there is that

If Tommy or Drew Lock get the call, the odds get considerably better

Most times we have won the SB we went off around 15-1 to get the trophy  So there is that

Why not us?   We have come out of nowhere in the past. GO BLUE!!!!
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 01, 2024, 09:53:19 AMThat's "0.67%" not "0.01%"

The 0.01% came from a separate quote- Google response.
sorry for not mentioning that

both are better bets than a Powerball ticket LOL

If only we had listened to MacAdoo and taken Mahommes
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Painter

If Breer says so, we might as well believe it even if we have to add a couple of zeros after the decimal in our reimagining of SB XLII. I'm sure he won't mind. 

Cheers!

kartanoman

Quote from: Painter on July 01, 2024, 10:45:09 AMIf Breer says so, we might as well believe it even if we have to add a couple of zeros after the decimal in our reimagining of SB XLII. I'm sure he won't mind. 

Cheers!

Did they actually have zeroes in Roman times? I'm starting to receive junk mail to sign up for the AARP so I guess that means my mind is going the way of the old gray mare (but don't tell that to my Mrs.).

:confused:  :surprise:  :o  :hit:  :crazy:

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kingm56

It's late June; he needed something to write about during the offseason. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on July 01, 2024, 12:47:02 PMIt's late June; he needed something to write about during the offseason. 

Exactly, and New York is a big marketplace.

Lots of clicks!

Bob In PA

Each year, IMO, there are roughly eight true contenders, eight likely contenders, eight unlikely contenders and eight true dark horses. Although it sound good to say it, it really means he thinks we're one of the league's worst eight teams. It's not a good thing. lol  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on July 01, 2024, 12:47:02 PMIt's late June; he needed something to write about during the offseason. 

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 01, 2024, 12:54:21 PMExactly, and New York is a big marketplace.

Lots of clicks!

Albert Breer is one of the NFL's top insiders. The article's title just mentions dark horses (no mention of NYG).  In addition, he mentions the Colts (Indy isn't exactly a big market) as the AFC dark horse.

The article was a mailbag-type article.  Albert was answering this question

From Brad Lenser (@cubbyfan4ever): What team(s) do you think is a dark horse for a Super Bowl run?

I don't see evidence to suggest Breer is just writing for the sake of writing or is seeking clicks.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 01, 2024, 01:29:18 PMAlbert Breer is one of the NFL's top insiders. The article's title just mentions dark horses (no mention of NYG).  In addition, he mentions the Colts (Indy isn't exactly a big market) as the AFC dark horse.

The article was a mailbag-type article.  Albert was answering this question

From Brad Lenser (@cubbyfan4ever): What team(s) do you think is a dark horse for a Super Bowl run?

I don't see evidence to suggest Breer is just writing for the sake of writing or is seeking clicks.

It was mostly just a general comment about the time of year. Summer tends to abound with optimism for all 32 fan bases, even those of the seven or eight worst teams (see ours), and everyone loves an outlier type call. Media types tend to cater to that at this type of year, even the higher profile ones like Breer.

Painter

Quote from: kartanoman on July 01, 2024, 11:05:31 AMDid they actually have zeroes in Roman times? I'm starting to receive junk mail to sign up for the AARP so I guess that means my mind is going the way of the old gray mare (but don't tell that to my Mrs.).

:confused:  :surprise:  :o  :hit:  :crazy:

Peace!

Good question, Chris. As a matter of fact, the Romans never had a zero, or even a system of numbers as we would think of it today. In any case, they didn't use their "numerals" for arithmetic. They did their adding and subtracting with the use of an abacus.

I'm not sure when I first learned that, but certainly it was before my cognitive decline went into overdrive.

Cheers!