News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why Malik Nabers could have a huge impact on the offense

Started by MightyGiants, July 01, 2024, 09:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I finished reading the book on PFF this weekend (a good read).  One of the studies they did pointed to the importance of a true playmaking receiver.   Here is an article about that study:

QuoteAccording to a study done by Pro Football Focus (PFF), the 49ers (84.3%), Lions (85.0%), Ravens (85.7%), and Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs (88.7%), all ranked in the top eight of all teams with the highest percentage of pass attempts into open windows.

Since 2020, quarterbacks throughout the league have had a 77.9% completion percentage when targeting an open receiver. Their completion percentages plummet to 24.5% when the ball is thrown into a tight window.

Out of the 15 route concepts PFF studied, one of the lowest percentage combinations involved seam routes. San Francisco ranked the highest with a 41.4% open rate when the league average sat at 29.7%.

Coming in dead last under that metric was the New York Giants with a 13.5% open rate. That was the lowest-performing combination in 2023.

Whether in man (42.4%) or zone (26.9%) coverage, the ability for wideouts to gain separation correlates well with higher passing efficiency numbers.

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/new-york-giants/analytics-wide-receivers-and-the-sixth-pick/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Rich isnt the success rate of getting open also a function of having more time to run the route so better OL pass protection?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 01, 2024, 09:28:44 AMRich isnt the success rate of getting open also a function of having more time to run the route so better OL pass protection?

Yes, to some degree, the more time a receiver has to get open, the better his chances.  That said, when you consider the variation of how open receivers are on the same team, it's clear the receiver himself still plays a big role in this measure.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 01, 2024, 09:31:05 AMYes, to some degree, the more time a receiver has to get open, the better his chances.  That said, when you consider the variation of how open receivers are on the same team, it's clear the receiver himself still plays a big role in this measure.

I agree. Since Nabers is new to the league, the sooner he and Jones can get on the same sheet of music, the sooner the two can start hooking up with plays to stretch defenses and open up the field for the other receivers, as well as the running game.

But yes, part of the equation is predicated on Carmen Bricillo having done his job to get the O-Line playing as a cohesive unit to support the offense so Jones can make those throws.

This is not going to be a breakout party like Beckham Jr 2.0. Frankly, I hope it will be even better.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

Quote from: kartanoman on July 01, 2024, 09:38:06 AMI agree. Since Nabers is new to the league, the sooner he and Jones can get on the same sheet of music, the sooner the two can start hooking up with plays to stretch defenses and open up the field for the other receivers, as well as the running game.

But yes, part of the equation is predicated on Carmen Bricillo having done his job to get the O-Line playing as a cohesive unit to support the offense so Jones can make those throws.

This is not going to be a breakout party like Beckham Jr 2.0. Frankly, I hope it will be even better.

Peace!

If my memory serves, the Giants had a decent OL in OBJ's rookie year.  They just did not have an explosive WR1.  He added that.

I think Nabers can be the same, but if our OL especially our RT is a turnstyle who lets an edge rusher by without touching him, Nabers won't be 5 yards past the LOS thus negating anything he can do.  Our OL has to be at least average for the real value in Nabers to shine.  I have no doubt about Nabers.  I have lots of doubt about Neal.