News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who are the best coordinators in NYG history?

Started by MightyGiants, July 01, 2024, 10:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Im going to say John Fox and Vince Lombardi
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

How is not Bill B as DC and either Ron E or Kevin G as OC?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 01, 2024, 10:39:02 AMHow is not Bill B as DC and either Ron E or Kevin G as OC?

No consideration for Vince Lombardi as OC?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I don't think there can be anyone who could say BB is the GOAT as DC of the Giants. There is no one even close.

As far as I goes Lombardi is right there at the top. Ron Earheart also deserves consideration with 2 SB rings. How about Allie Sherman. As far as success us concerned officially he is the most successful OC in Giants history. He was OC for 2 years but had the best winning percentage then anyone else.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Quote from: LennG on July 01, 2024, 11:05:41 AMI don't think there can be anyone who could say BB is the GOAT as DC of the Giants. There is no one even close.

As far as I goes Lombardi is right there at the top. Ron Earheart also deserves consideration with 2 SB rings. How about Allie Sherman. As far as success us concerned officially he is the most successful OC in Giants history. He was OC for 2 years but had the best winning percentage then anyone else.

This time, Lenn, you have the pulse on things.

I'll post my thoughts for the offensive coordinators now and do the defensive coordinators in a separate post.

Vincent Thomas Lombardi had success with the Giants during their "Golden Age." But it took the likes of Charlie Connerly and Frank Gifford to literally lighten him up because his coaching method was not going to work with the stars the Giants had in those days. In fact, by Lombardi's own admission, it was those two who had to help him make the adjustments to the pro game which helped him become a good offensive coordinator and, in turn, help him learn and refine his craft to help him advance to the next level of coaching. But much of Lombardi's offensive success in Green Bay can be traced back to what he learned with the Giants and his development alongside his star players of the day.

Ron Erhardt deserves his due for executing perhaps not the most glamorous offensive attack, but one which played to his players' strengths and fundamentally was centered on a strong running game designed to set up the play-pass for Phil Simms who mastered the seam pass to his tight ends of the day (i.e. Mark Bavaro, Zeke Mowatt, Howard Cross, Tom Mullady, Gary Shirk). His record in the playoffs (8-3, two Super Bowl Championships) put him at or near the top of the list. He was the head coach in New England in 1980 and had a defensive assistant (i.e. LB Coach) by the name of Bill Parcells. After Erhardt was fired in New England in 1981, Ray Perkins hired him to be the offensive coordinator for the Giants in 1982. Then, when Perkins announced midway through the season he would depart for Alabama, and Bill Parcells would become head coach, his former LB coach would remember 1980 and, in part due to loyalty, retained Erhardt as his offensive coordinator. The two went on to build an offense that was tough, no-nonsense and complemented their magnificent defense. After Parcells left in 1991, Erhardt was retained by "the next head coach" but demoted. He left for Pittsburgh, the following year, and helped develop a grinding offensive attack, led by "The Bus," in helping the Steelers reach Super Bowl XXX. He then moved on to the Jets in 1996 and endured the final season of dismay under Rich Kotite before being reunited under Bill Parcells. The two made one last run which brought the Jets to the AFC Championship Game. After losing, Erhardt announced his retirement. The following year, Parcells did the same. Erhardt was responsible for reviving the offenses of all the teams he had coached throughout his 25-year NFL career (i.e. New England, New York Giants, Pittsburgh, New York Jets). His greatest accomplishments were achieved alongside his partner Bill Parcells in New York, winning two Super Bowls for the Giants and bringing the long-suffering Jets to within one game of the Super Bowl. For his achievements, he must be considered as one of the best offensive coordinators in the history of the Giants, if not the NFL.

I won't go into as much detail, as I did with Erhardt, but I believe that Kevin Gilbride is another who must go down as one of the best offensive coordinators as well. Once the Giants were able to provide Eli Manning the quality of receivers he had in Nicks, Manningham and Cruz, as well as big tight ends such as Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard and others after him, you witnessed the Gilbride attack at its very best. His playoff numbers, especially with Eli's execution, are the best of any offensive coordinator (8-1, two Super Bowl victories).

Allie Sherman and Sean Payton deserve an Honorable Mention.

As I mentioned before, I'll do the defensive coordinators in a separate post.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

President Rick

of the group IMO Sherman was the most innovative and creative.  we've had a lot of good OC's for sure.  BB as DC is heads above the rest and it wasn't a fluke or just because he was under Parcells..
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Painter

While BEST should mean one and only one DC and OC, after categorically choosing Bill Belichick as the former, I'm a bit hung up in naming the latter.

I must say that nothing would piss me off more than to see some jerk refer to (Kevin) Gilbride as "Gilbride". Yeah, I'd say he'd probably be at least a tie with Ron Erhardt as most successful Giants OC in the Super Bowl era. That speaks to best for me. And we might keep in mind that one of the three most notable Play Calling systems which includes Air Coryell and the West Coast is named Erhardt-Perkins and is perhaps the most innovative of the three.

Cheers!

Giant Obsession

SOMETHING TO CONSIDER.....

HC Allie Sherman and his successor Alex Webster acted basically as their own OC.
Remember this was back in the day when a total coaching staff consisted of usually 5 - 6 coaches, including the HC.  QB's at that time had a great deal of input into the game plan. Sherman acted as the OC with input from his 2 other offensive assistants.  Which makes him 0- 4 in the playoffs, but with an even more scintillating regular season record.....until the bottom fell out of the team in 1964.

My 2 favorite OCs have to be Gilbride and Ron Erhardt.  Both were able to mold their game plans and play calling to fit and help mold the 2 finest QB's this franchise has ever seen and will probably EVER see.

Insofar as a DC I will cast my vote and I am sure the only vote he will get for Marty Schottenheimer.  Our 1977 D was damn good, but he gets my vote because he convinced the giants to draft Harry Carson, a DL in college, and convert him to a pro MLB.  It was easy to draft a Lawrence Taylor and see to turn him loose (and kudos to BP and BB for that), but picking out our HOF LB and ultimate TEAM LEADER from a small school of little repute.....sheer genius.

For me Simms and Carson are the 2 players responsible for leading us out of the wilderness and into an era of great new accomplishments and now warm memories.  Without either or both of them as Giants.....well, I am glad I do not have to think about that.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

andrew_nyGiants

Lombardi, Landry, Bellichick are my top 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Philosophers

I don't think Ron E gets enough credit as his offensive talent was not top shelf the way say Kevin Gilbride's was.  He had above average WRs and RBs but not anyone near Nicks/Cruz/Plax or Barber/Jacobs, etc.  Eli was better than Phil.  Ron's OLs were probably comparable to Gilbrides.