News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Maybe this is a stupid question

Started by Philosophers, July 01, 2024, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

With DJ being a right handed thrower, his strength to roll out is to the right side, not his left side where with the latter he can't generate nearly the power or accuracy he can rolling out to the right.  That said, wouldn't it make more sense to put a better OT on the right side to move the pocket right to give him more time to throw.  I understand his blind side would be more exposed but whether he can see the edge rusher bearing down on him or not, he still gets sacked quickly.  At least rolling right with a better ORT, he buys more time.  Therefore, my thought is putting AT on the right side.  Is this crazy?

Bob In PA

Phil: Not crazy, but the move must also make sense when viewed from other perspectives.

There's a school of thought that it's A LOT easier to pass-pro as a RT than a LT. IMO there's no doubt it's easier to ATTACK QB's blind side (for obvious reasons) but that's not the same thing.

Rolling your QB to the side of your weaker OT makes the blocking job EASIER. I know it decreased the distance the push-rusher must travel, but the QB sees him coming and rolling a QB directly "under" the spot from which the RT starts gives the RT the greatest possible "angle" advantage. I can't draw you the picture, but can only describe why... it's easier to beat an OT by going around him than by going THROUGH him. Rolling a QB directly below the RT shrinks the sizes of the lanes leading to the QB.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on July 01, 2024, 12:17:35 PMWith DJ being a right handed thrower, his strength to roll out is to the right side, not his left side where with the latter he can't generate nearly the power or accuracy he can rolling out to the right.  That said, wouldn't it make more sense to put a better OT on the right side to move the pocket right to give him more time to throw.  I understand his blind side would be more exposed but whether he can see the edge rusher bearing down on him or not, he still gets sacked quickly.  At least rolling right with a better ORT, he buys more time.  Therefore, my thought is putting AT on the right side.  Is this crazy?

The left tackle is still protecting DJ's blind side.  Remember, it was the tackle in the back (as the result of LT Ezudu whiffing on a block) that caused DJ's neck injury last year.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 01, 2024, 12:55:37 PMPhil: Not crazy, but the move must also make sense when viewed from other perspectives.

There's a school of thought that it's A LOT easier to pass-pro as a RT than a LT. IMO there's no doubt it's easier to ATTACK QB's blind side (for obvious reasons) but that's not the same thing.

Rolling your QB to the side of your weaker OT makes the blocking job EASIER. I know it decreased the distance the push-rusher must travel, but the QB sees him coming and rolling a QB directly "under" the spot from which the RT starts gives the RT the greatest possible "angle" advantage. I can't draw you the picture, but can only describe why... it's easier to beat an OT by going around him than by going THROUGH him. Rolling a QB directly below the RT shrinks the sizes of the lanes leading to the QB.

Bob

Interestingly, I saw a graph (in the book about PFF I read) that showed the pay of LT and RT moving closer together. Clearly, the NFL appreciates that defenses are capable of sending the rush from anywhere, and the roles of LT and RT are becoming very similar, as is their importance.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

I would not mess with Thomas

Just fix the RT issue
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

The Giants have so few players with proven success at a given position. I'm not keen to mess with the little bit of that that they have.

And while I get the point about DJ tending to roll to his right, if this offense is going to have any success throwing the ball, he is going to have to make plays from the pocket. Therefore I think his blind side is incredibly important, especially given he has not exhibited much evidence of having any sort of knack for feeling the rush or having an internal clock.