News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Defense... Bowen needs to adjust

Started by killarich, September 08, 2024, 06:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

Its only one game so im not going to hate on the defense just yet ....

BUT

Some possible GLARING and MAJOR problems

1. If the front 4 arent getting pressure (Looking at you Burns and Thibs.. not you Sexy Dexy) the opposing QB is getting a massive amount of time in the pocket and our DBs just arent that good ..... and this was Darnold we were playing an he shredded us up

2. If the line isnt getting any pressure you cant be scared to bring the extra man on a blitz on occasion .... you allowed Darnold to be so comfortable back there that he got into a major groove

3. TOO MUCH ZONE ... their was numerous plays where the defense actually held up .... and Darnold was scrambling and you could tell he was either going to throw it out to his RB or TE and one of our LB's or corners were in the area but they PURPOSELY would back peddle ....obviously knowing they would stop them before the marker.... my issue was that most of these dumpoffs were NOT on 3rd down..... I hate giving up free yardage setting up something like a 3rd and 4 or something... it makes zero sense to me... play hard force an incompletion... this is on coaching

Its only one game and hopefully Burns and Thibs are more effective with time but this was aggravating to watch

Trench

kingm56

A little perspective: the Def only gave up 308 yards and 21 points, despite being compromised by a horrific offensive performance. I believe the Def will get better, when the offense can at least play better than the worst unit in the NFL.  The def wasn't good, but I think they're primary issue is the offense. 

Trench

Quote from: kingm56 on September 08, 2024, 06:48:20 PMA little perspective: the Def only gave up 308 yards and 21 points, despite being compromised by a horrific offensive performance. I believe the Def will get better, when the offense can at least play better than the worst unit in the NFL.  The def wasn't good, but I think they're primary issue is the offense. 

Fair enough. Secondary did ok. Where was Thibs and Burns?....Thibs is all hype and style to me. Hasn't showed me much of what was advertised

kingm56

Quote from: Trench on September 08, 2024, 07:02:04 PMFair enough. Secondary did ok. Where was Thibs and Burns?....Thibs is all hype and style to me. Hasn't showed me much of what was advertised

Burns is overrated, I stated that in the offseason.  To be clear, he's a good player, and I'm ok with the trade; however, I never believed he was going to transform the dline...he just wasn't dynamic player in Car.  If he was, they would have NEVER let him go...they're starving for young players to build around.   

I'll reserve an opinion on Thibs until I see the pressure numbers, or have a chance to watch the all-22. As a whole, the front 7 didn't appear to play well, with the obvious exception of sexy Dex.   

uconnjack8

They brought in Bowen because they thought his scheme was more of fit for what they want to do on defense.  They traded a 2nd round pick and paid a guy 30 million/year to make it work.  Bowen isn't being asked to change his philosophy after 1 game.

The holes in the zone are something that can and should improve over time.  The pass rush will need to improve and may or may not.  It certainly won't be much of a factor if they are trailing by 2 scores at halftime in most games.

kingm56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 08, 2024, 07:54:13 PMThey brought in Bowen because they thought his scheme was more of fit for what they want to do on defense.  They traded a 2nd round pick and paid a guy 30 million/year to make it work.  Bowen isn't being asked to change his philosophy after 1 game.

The holes in the zone are something that can and should improve over time.  The pass rush will need to improve and may or may not.  It certainly won't be much of a factor if they are trailing by 2 scores at halftime in most games.

They also won't be facing JJ and Akins every week.  The def will be ok.

katkavage

Quote from: kingm56 on September 08, 2024, 07:57:56 PMThey also won't be facing JJ and Akins every week.  The def will be ok.
They have little depth on the dl. When Lawrence is out other teams can run at will. Burns is good. Far from great. Any injuries and it will get worse. I do like Nubin and Philips for the future.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on September 08, 2024, 07:57:56 PMThey also won't be facing JJ and Akins every week.  The def will be ok.

They won't be facing Sam Darnold every week either.

sooners56

Quote from: Trench on September 08, 2024, 07:02:04 PMFair enough. Secondary did ok. Where was Thibs and Burns?....Thibs is all hype and style to me. Hasn't showed me much of what was advertised

Thibs has always underwhelmed me. Decent player but not what I expected the Giants were getting when they picked him #5 overall.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

coggs

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 08, 2024, 07:54:13 PMThey brought in Bowen because they thought his scheme was more of fit for what they want to do on defense.  They traded a 2nd round pick and paid a guy 30 million/year to make it work.  Bowen isn't being asked to change his philosophy after 1 game.

The holes in the zone are so aggravating because the while the opponents seem to always be able to find them, the Giants offense never can.

T200

Quote from: coggs on September 08, 2024, 08:33:15 PMThe holes in the zone are so aggravating because the while the opponents seem to always be able to find them, the Giants offense never can.
...the Giants offense QB never can.

Fixed it for ya  ;)  ;)
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 08:12:45 PMThey won't be facing Sam Darnold every week either.

That's fair; still, the def is the least of my worries. 

uconnjack8

I thought it was odd timing to give JJ a true 1 on 1 when he scored his TD.  They actually did a good job overall to keep him quiet. 

When Lawrence was out the run D was rough looking.

I wasn't jumping for joy with the defensive performance but it wasn't a liability.

Bottom line is that it's tough to win games when the offense gives up more points than they score. 

kingm56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 08, 2024, 09:36:22 PMI thought it was odd timing to give JJ a true 1 on 1 when he scored his TD.  They actually did a good job overall to keep him quiet

When Lawrence was out the run D was rough looking.

I wasn't jumping for joy with the defensive performance but it wasn't a liability.

Bottom line is that it's tough to win games when the offense gives up more points than they score. 

With the exception of the TD, I thought Banks played well today.  Holding JJ to under 70 yards and 2 catches is a remarkable accomplishment. He's someone we can build around.