News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tiki calls out Giants effort on defense, notes missed tackles

Started by MightyGiants, September 26, 2023, 03:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

"That's effort," Tiki said. "There was one in particular, Elijah Mitchell had an outside zone run in the second quarter, and you just saw the rookie [Tre] Hawkins, he just turned it down. He didn't even try. He tried to go low, but he barely made contact, and he clips off 18 yards and you get into scoring position. It's effort. To me, that's effort.

"I know cornerbacks don't want to hit anymore. I know they don't think they need to tackle on the edges and think they're just there to contain and drive a guy inside. But when you're the last line of defense, that's an effort thing. That's a want-to thing."

"When someone's running at you full speed, and he's got some heft to him, and you know you have to hit him, you just have to hit him. That's the game. Period," Tiki said. "That's what you're paid to do. If you turn it down, bad things happen, and I think that happened a lot for the Giants yesterday.

"I hate to call guys out on effort, but that's just what I saw. I can't explain missed tackling other than, they just didn't want to do it. Period."

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/giants/tiki-calls-out-giants-effort-on-defense-notes-missed-tackles
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

I actually made note of that same exact play, but my take was that Hawkins got into his own head on that one- ie, he was too worried about setting the edge and overthinking it instead of just shooting up and making the tackle.  That hesitation was all it took.  I'd hope getting used to the speed of the game would help him make that play better in the future.

Rambo89

Speaking of Tiki did anyone see the spat between him and Joe B yesterday where Tiki walked off the WFAN set during the segment?
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

TDToomer

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 03:23:31 PMSpeaking of Tiki did anyone see the spat between him and Joe B yesterday where Tiki walked off the WFAN set during the segment?

I heard it today. Joe B is an a-hole. I thought he was retired but like Francesa but the both seem to come out of the pasture to go scorched earth on the Jets or Giants. Boomer defended Tiki today pointing out that Tiki could crush Joe with one hand if he wanted to and it took a lot for Tiki to hold back and walk away.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 03:23:31 PMSpeaking of Tiki did anyone see the spat between him and Joe B yesterday where Tiki walked off the WFAN set during the segment?

I saw it and thought it was amusing. Joe B is definitely a loudmouth but he's a diehard fan and was just venting. I thought he was a little over the top in that appearance, but Tiki is too sensitive. To get up and walk away over that? Come on. This is sports radio in the NY Tri-State area. Guys like Benigno are everywhere. Tiki has to be a little thicker skinned if he wants to be a local radio guy. Guys like Benigno, Carton, Francesa, Gio, Lacata, Moose etc are all big loud personalities who can sometimes be obnoxious. I appreciate that Tiki is a bit more introverted and genteel perhaps, but if he gets bent out of shape by stuff like that he's doing the wrong job.

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 26, 2023, 05:20:37 PMI saw it and thought it was amusing. Joe B is definitely a loudmouth but he's a diehard fan and was just venting. I thought he was a little over the top in that appearance, but Tiki is too sensitive. To get up and walk away over that? Come on. This is sports radio in the NY Tri-State area. Guys like Benigno are everywhere. Tiki has to be a little thicker skinned if he wants to be a local radio guy. Guys like Benigno, Carton, Francesa, Gio, Lacata, Moose etc are all big loud personalities who can sometimes be obnoxious. I appreciate that Tiki is a bit more introverted and genteel perhaps, but if he gets bent out of shape by stuff like that he's doing the wrong job.

Tiki has always been a bit soft but he has to know Joe B is insane and you just let the guy vent.

Giantleap56

The other teams are playing tackle football and the Giants are playing two hand touch. You know how many plays I have seen the other defense give the Giants extra business during the tackle. They are literally trying to tear the ball away from the Giants players. I hate to say it but one thing in football that no one wants to be know as is "Soft".

kingm56

Quote from: Giantleap56 on September 27, 2023, 08:27:42 AMThe other teams are playing tackle football and the Giants are playing two hand touch. You know how many plays I have seen the other defense give the Giants extra business during the tackle. They are literally trying to tear the ball away from the Giants players. I hate to say it but one thing in football that no one wants to be know as is "Soft".

Who would you identify as a tough-guy on the current Giants team?  In the past, we had Keith "Hammer" Hamilton, Rich Suebert, LT, etc...  We simply don't have that type of mentality on either side of the ball. 

Giantleap56

Quote from: kingm56 on September 27, 2023, 08:34:36 AMWho would you identify as a tough-guy on the current Giants team?  In the past, we had Keith "Hammer" Hamilton, Rich Suebert, LT, etc...  We simply don't have that type of mentality on either side of the ball. 

Just Dexter. He is the only one giving the type of effort and there is only so much he can do. I thought McFadden gave good effort last game. Guys like Ojulari have built a spot in my head as if this guy were out there and he is a good player. But he is never out there so he is like this built up player in my mind that never plays. They don't give great effort. Effort is everything in football. Without effort doesn't matter how much talent. Same goes for coaches to they have been awful so far.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on September 27, 2023, 08:34:36 AMWho would you identify as a tough-guy on the current Giants team?  In the past, we had Keith "Hammer" Hamilton, Rich Suebert, LT, etc...  We simply don't have that type of mentality on either side of the ball. 

An interesting point, no real tough guys on this defense.  Although, that's a bit of an oddity in year two with a GM who puts a premium on smart, TOUGH, and dependable players.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 03:02:55 PM"That's effort," Tiki said. "There was one in particular, Elijah Mitchell had an outside zone run in the second quarter, and you just saw the rookie [Tre] Hawkins, he just turned it down. He didn't even try. He tried to go low, but he barely made contact, and he clips off 18 yards and you get into scoring position. It's effort. To me, that's effort.

"I know cornerbacks don't want to hit anymore. I know they don't think they need to tackle on the edges and think they're just there to contain and drive a guy inside. But when you're the last line of defense, that's an effort thing. That's a want-to thing."

"When someone's running at you full speed, and he's got some heft to him, and you know you have to hit him, you just have to hit him. That's the game. Period," Tiki said. "That's what you're paid to do. If you turn it down, bad things happen, and I think that happened a lot for the Giants yesterday.

"I hate to call guys out on effort, but that's just what I saw. I can't explain missed tackling other than, they just didn't want to do it. Period."

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/giants/tiki-calls-out-giants-effort-on-defense-notes-missed-tackles
I agree 100%

Giant Obsession

Tiki was a belligerent child who scooped up his toys and left.  Reinforced everything I have ever thought about him.

Same attitude cost him a place in the Canton HOF when he "retired" a year early.  His numbers scream HOF, his attitude will forever leave him on the sideline. 

Worst part is he doesn't know how to be contrite.  Hated Coughlin, who taught how to carry the ball and not be a fumble machine.   Hated Eli who only won a Super Bowl his fourth year in the league.

Posterchild for the definition of dumbf**k in my house.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Rambo89

Quote from: Giant Obsession on September 27, 2023, 05:01:06 PMTiki was a belligerent child who scooped up his toys and left.  Reinforced everything I have ever thought about him.

Same attitude cost him a place in the Canton HOF when he "retired" a year early.  His numbers scream HOF, his attitude will forever leave him on the sideline. 

Worst part is he doesn't know how to be contrite.  Hated Coughlin, who taught how to carry the ball and not be a fumble machine.   Hated Eli who only won a Super Bowl his fourth year in the league.

Posterchild for the definition of dumbf**k in my house.

How great is it that one the Giants won the SB the year after he left and that second Strahan stuck around to play for a year and he ended up with the post football career that Tiki wanted?  =))

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 27, 2023, 05:13:08 PMHow great is it that one the Giants won the SB the year after he left and that second Strahan stuck around to play for a year and he ended up with the post football career that Tiki wanted?  =))

Very good point and I never thought about it. Have you ever heard the interview of Tiki by Francesa where Francesa tells Tiki he was a major failure as a TV guy? Pretty amusing stuff. Here it is if you haven't heard it. Just start from the 5:00 mark if you want to hear the failure part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIyq_PAtzFQ

Edit: I just listened to that again and it's hysterical. I hadn't heard that in many years. There's a part two and part three of that interview on youtube that you can get if you want to hear more of it. Francesa is unquestionably a self-aggrandizing blowhard, but it's just funny to hear him laying into Tiki here.

LennG

After last week's game, in my first post about it, I said this exact thing, the defense played 'soft'. They don't hit with any force, and they seem to just throw themselves at offensive players instead of hitting them.
And you talk about 'soft' players on defe nse, Thibs name should lead that list. He finally got a sack and he struts his way down the field, look at me.   :boooo:  :boooo:  :boooo:  :boooo:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss