News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Drake Maye thread

Started by EliWasrobbed, February 24, 2024, 05:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 25, 2024, 10:53:11 AMThese are the sort of comments that tell me some doesn't understand what are strength is.   They use the term strength, but they mean velocity.   The reality is a football is not heavy.    To throw it far one needs to throw it at a high velocity, it's not about be strong enough to lift and throw it.   

With a tight spiral. Maye can do that. McCarthy tends to air mail it and it dies off on very deep passes as I mentioned weeks ago.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 25, 2024, 11:00:22 AMWith a tight spiral. Maye can do that. McCarthy tends to air mail it and it dies off on very deep passes as I mentioned weeks ago.

Maye has the strongest arm among the top quarterbacks, while McCarthy's is above average but not as strong as Maye's.   

In terms of 20+ yard passing attempts, here is how the two breakdown

Maye - PFF passing 96.8  :  QB rating 113.4

JJ -  PFF passing 93.1  :  QB rating 130.0
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: katkavage on February 24, 2024, 07:16:29 AMIf they can move up two slots to get their guy, they must. If not, and that guy turns out to be a game changer, they are toast. Much will happen between now and April. After the combine there will be changes.

Sorry to disagree but moving up 2 slots and giving away draft capital ( two seconds this year , plus possibly  a number 1 next year), does not make sense right now for this team. If we had no other serious holes then maybe but not the way we are situated now. 

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 25, 2024, 11:00:22 AMWith a tight spiral. Maye can do that. McCarthy tends to air mail it and it dies off on very deep passes as I mentioned weeks ago.

I think the way people are describing it, it sounds like JJ has Chad Pennington's arm.  I've seen all his throws.  Super tight spiral and a very good arm.  His balls do not float.  Whoever thinks that has not seen him play.  His problem in my opinion is that sometimes his deep throws are too much on a rope and not enough air to allow a WR to run under and adjust.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on February 25, 2024, 05:58:36 PMI think the way people are describing it, it sounds like JJ has Chad Pennington's arm.  I've seen all his throws.  Super tight spiral and a very good arm.  His balls do not float.  Whoever thinks that has not seen him play.  His problem in my opinion is that sometimes his deep throws are too much on a rope and not enough air to allow a WR to run under and adjust.
You should take another look at those deep throws where the Receiver has to slow up to make the catch.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 25, 2024, 06:00:23 PMYou should take another look at those deep throws where the Receiver has to slow up to make the catch.

Maybe it's just a bad throw, throwing into a strong wind, throwing while going backward due to pass rush, etc.  anyone who thinks that want to offer the context exactly on that throw?

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Sam Howell 2.0

Also I genuinely thought Merril Hoge had passed, where has he been?

MightyGiants

Analyzing North Carolina QB Drake Maye

Greg Cosell sees shades of Joe Burrow in North Carolina QB Drake Maye with his ease of his throwing motion.

Video at link

https://www.the33rdteam.com/qb-drake-maye-showing-shades-of-joe-burrow-with-a-stronger-arm/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Kurt Benkert (born July 17, 1995) is a former American football quarterback. He played college football at East Carolina and Virginia. He originally signed with the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL) as an undrafted free agent following the 2018 NFL Draft; he was also a member of the Green Bay Packers and San Francisco 49ers.

Kurt Benkert

@KurtBenkert
Just finished my Drake Maye review.

He's a more athletic Mason Rudolph with less arm Talent (and a lot less accuracy).

He has a lot of backyard football in his game but doesn't have the athletic upside that I think it requires to live in that world as often as he does.

He's super raw with his footwork and pocket presence. His ball placement needs serious improvement. Defensive recognition struggles a bit (but I don't know what he's being coached to do so it can't be all on him).

However - dude will stand in there and take a hit while delivering across the middle. He's a 3rd down threat as a runner which is a checked box in the NFL.

All in all, I see the potential upside, but he's got a ways to go to reach it. He also needs to be in a good situation with a good coach & probably a quarterback in front of him to mentor him to get him caught up to speed.

Ideally - he ends up in a Jordan Love situation. Sits for a few years, cleans his game up learns behind-the-scenes then gets his chance.

If he goes to a bad team early in round 1 and is forced to play.. that may be all she wrote.
1:34 PM · Feb 26, 2024
·
 Views

https://x.com/KurtBenkert/status/1762186660207280442?s=20

https://x.com/KurtBenkert/status/1762187023790514672?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Just keep in mind the longest driver contest golfers never win on the PGA.  It's about putting it all together.  Same with a QB throwing a pass.

Jclayton92

Heard Maye has the same trainer as DJ and is working with Eli Manning for anyone interested.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

This wide range of opinion is why I keep saying none of these guys are worth trading up for. It's an absolute crapshoot with any draft class, and seemingly even more so with this one, in particular.

Stand pat and see who falls.