News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If we're not going to draft a QB this year, I don't hate this mock

Started by DaveBrown74, February 10, 2024, 09:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

No idea how realistic it is, but this is what I came up with.

You cannot view this attachment.

Notes:

Fashanu: Arguably the top OT in the class (certainly top two or at worst top three). Immediately steps in at RT.

Legette: Beast X receiver who has been repeatedly likened to Metcalf.

Beebe: Second or third best guard prospect in the class. Day one starter. Addresses a massive need area.

Hall Jr: A touch on the small side for a DT, but quickness and upper body strength helps offset that and at 20 years old there is a lot of upside here. Not sure about starting on day one but addresses a need area with Leo gone.

Corum: One of my favorite RBs in the class. Shifty, explosive, great change of direction, excellent vision, compact but strong build, can outrun people in the open field, has played well in big games. Replacement for Barkley.

Eichenberg: A heralded linebacker prospect falls here. While we improved in this area last year with Okereke in the mix and improved seasons from Simmons and McFadden, this is still a need area and this is a nice value pick. Has potential to be materially additive as a rookie.

Newsome: Tall, versatile d-back who can potentially be groomed into a starter and can help on specials.

President Rick

I like it too but IDK some of those guys last as long as projected here.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

jgrangers2

Really like the overall group of players. My one issue is using 2 of our first 3 picks on the O-line. I guess in this scenario we're pushing Neal inside to guard but that puts us in a spot where we open up with two rookie O-lineman, another playing a position he's never played at the NFL level and a 2nd year center. It's a lot of youth that I guess would be a big test for the new OL coach.

MightyGiants

The Giants have so many needs that every mock leaves me wanting.   Hopefully, Schoen will have a great free agency.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: President Rick on February 10, 2024, 10:03:52 AMI like it too but IDK some of those guys last as long as projected here.

I don't disagree at all. Nobody knows at this point. We haven't even had the combine yet, and even after we do we just don't know how teams rate players.

I don't normally post mocks I do but I figured I would with this one just to generate some discussion about these players and also how the flow of this particular mock might fit our team.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jgrangers2 on February 10, 2024, 10:05:19 AMReally like the overall group of players. My one issue is using 2 of our first 3 picks on the O-line. I guess in this scenario we're pushing Neal inside to guard but that puts us in a spot where we open up with two rookie O-lineman, another playing a position he's never played at the NFL level and a 2nd year center. It's a lot of youth that I guess would be a big test for the new OL coach.

Totally valid points, and believe me I am not wedded to the idea of using two of our first three picks on O line either. It would certainly be more than reasonable to argue that if we use the 6th overall pick on O line, it might be excessive to also use either 2nd rounder on O line.

As for the line we field next year potentially being very young, I have much less of a problem with that myself. We're not winning anything next year, and I'm pretty close to certain our long term answer at QB is not even on the team yet. So I'm not sure why it makes more sense to bring in some pricey 32 year old type who probably won't be on the team in two years versus bringing in a high upside prospect who could be an 8-10 year fixture on the team.

AZGiantFan

I hate the idea of spending 2 high draft choices on the OL.  Other that Andrew Thomas, spending high draft choices on the OL hasn't proven fruitful in the least, bringing to mind the definition of insanity.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 10, 2024, 10:27:07 AMThe Giants have so many needs that every mock leaves me wanting.  Hopefully, Schoen will have a great free agency.

Yup. As you noted in your thread about the question really being what DON'T we need, we are so bereft that a BPA type approach (with mindfulness of positional value) is probably the most sound this year. We're not going to be able to address every need in a highly impactful way. It's simply not possible.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on February 10, 2024, 11:08:37 AMI hate the idea of spending 2 high draft choices on the OL.  Other that Andrew Thomas, spending high draft choices on the OL hasn't proven fruitful in the least, bringing to mind the definition of insanity.

How have our lower-picked O lineman draft choice worked out over the past decade or so?

Should we just stop drafting O linemen for good so we can avoid the definition of insanity?

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 10, 2024, 11:12:29 AMHow have our lower-picked O lineman draft choice worked out over the past decade or so?

Should we just stop drafting O linemen for good so we can avoid the definition of insanity?
I would feel more comfortable spending the money on 2 almost sure things in FA over waiting a couple more years for a line to grow or gel. Let's fix it with FA acquisitions then as we need later on invest in line depth that hopefully turn into starters so we are never in this mess again.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 10, 2024, 11:35:14 AMI would feel more comfortable spending the money on 2 almost sure things in FA over waiting a couple more years for a line to grow or gel. Let's fix it with FA acquisitions then as we need later on invest in line depth that hopefully turn into starters so we are never in this mess again.

I will have to look at the free agent lists carefully, but when I skimmed through it a month or so ago it seemed like a lot of guys above 30. We have tried going that route with cheaper 30-somethings like Glow, Feliciano, Pugh, etc and it hasn't worked. Are there quality guys in their mid-late 20s we can get and can we afford them? There may be - I have to study it again.

The reason I'm focused on age with the O line is that my preference would be to improve it in a way that can be leaned on for years. Like what the Lions have done. Filling gaps with expensive 30-somethings so we can try to prop up Daniel Jones for a year before cutting him in 2025, and then bringing in a rookie QB in 2025 seems like a less macro-strategic approach to me.

If we're starting a rookie QB this year at any point in time then I understand the FA rationale more, but this mock was done under the hypothetical premise that we're not drafting a QB this year.

LennG

Me, personally, I am tired of using high #1 picks on the OL. We have 2 #2s and we can use one or both on that position as this draft is supposed to be rich at that position. U want a guy who will help this team and have an immediate impact. Of course, I am pining for a new QB, but would settle for a much-needed #1 WR.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Philosophers

Dave - I love this draft.  So many guys who can be day 1 starters.  I love Blake Corum as a pure RB, but he was not used at all in the passing game at Michigan in terms of being a pass catching RB.  In 2022, he had only 11 receptions.  In 2023 he had only 16.  With the modern NFL, I think we need a pass catching RB as much as one who can run.  That's my only knock on Corum.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on February 10, 2024, 11:56:19 AMDave - I love this draft.  So many guys who can be day 1 starters.  I love Blake Corum as a pure RB, but he was not used at all in the passing game at Michigan in terms of being a pass catching RB.  In 2022, he had only 11 receptions.  In 2023 he had only 16.  With the modern NFL, I think we need a pass catching RB as much as one who can run.  That's my only knock on Corum.

Good point about Corum's lack of pass-catching Phil. I will admit I probably should have given that more focus. I so see that he had 24 receptions in 12 games as a sophomore. Maybe this is something that could be developed in the pros. Isiah Pacheco never had 20 catches once in 4 seasons at Rutgers, and he had 44 with the Chiefs this season. 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 10, 2024, 11:12:29 AMHow have our lower-picked O lineman draft choice worked out over the past decade or so?

No, they should hire an OL coach who knows how to coach.  What successful team has built a competent OL by throwing 1st and 2nd round draft picks at their line?  What successful team has invested as much draft and FA capital into their OL?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll