News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- MLB has moved All Star Game out of Atlanta

Started by Painter, April 02, 2021, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 01:40:52 PM
Bob,

As far as I know, a social security card isn't sufficient to allow someone to vote. It must be a government-issued picture ID. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding government benefits and other things like getting a bank account, I'm sure people had a valid ID at some point. But they expire after a number of years and must be renewed. I think that's where the problem comes in for many people.
Tim: Time (for me!) to start thinking outside the box.  The Social Security Administration could easily and cheaply issue a Voter ID Number to every person who has a Social Security Number.

With this number, it's one man, one vote.  You put your official Voter ID Number on your ballot and either mail it in or bring it to the polling cite and drop it into a box.

As for those who do not have a Social Security Number, the government should have Form SS-5 available at every post office (and over the Internet).  Even the underprivileged have a post office near them.

Bob

PS. It's just that simple.  Tim, the political class doesn't really want to solve problems.  They want to keep divisive issues "alive" because doing so gets them more campaign contributions.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Philosophers

Quote from: Painter on April 05, 2021, 01:26:21 PM
I hear you, Bob. While not really comparable except for "... no longer serving its original purpose." it does cause me to reflect on the fact that I was once a strong supporter of the no longer recognizable and now disgusting Republican Party which began putrefying even before Pyschobaby.

Cheers!

The Republican Party I have occasionaly voted for in the past was easy to recognize.  Guys like Jack Kemp advocating small government but a large defense and a strong stance against the Soviet Union was easy to say yes or no to versus the alternative offered up by the Dems.  The party of folks like George Will, who will always be considered by me to be the "oracle" of what the Republican Party was has now been replaced by fringe candidates who dropped out of high school to have a kid, own a bar and think they are qualified to understand complicated U.S. public policy but in reality are only talented at tweeting conspiracy theories or others who have a lust for media attention in spite of an academic pedigree (Yes I'm talking about Ted Cruz) or dancing Sarah Palin, is just sad.   

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:58:00 PM
Here is an interesting fact.  To get one of those "free" ID cards you need to following:

To receive a free Georgia voter identification card at Georgia Driver Services, voters must provide:

An original or certified document to prove WHO YOU ARE such as a Birth Certificate or Passport.
Your SOCIAL SECURITY CARD.
Two documents showing your RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS such as a Bank Statement or Utility Bill.
If you've had a NAME CHANGE, then you'll also need to bring a document to prove that, such as a Marriage License.
Signed Affidavit.
Evidence that you are a registered voter.

I am curious how someone who is homeless and living in a shelter can get one of those "free" cards.  I mean they will not have a bank statement or utility bill.   Seems like there is a built-in bias right there.  Of course if the person lives in an apartment that includes utilities, a poor person would struggle to produce those two documents.   Of course, another expense is the travel expense required to get to the state or county office, and for a poor person that could mean the difference between eating for the week or not.

Also to address your comments about white people living in poverty, FACTS matter

Those living in poverty in Georgia

RACE & ETHNICITY

African American
21.5%
Asian American
9.4%
Latino
23.4%
Native American
19.9%
White
11.0%
At the same time Mighty if we can

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Philosophers on April 05, 2021, 02:03:21 PM
The Republican Party I have occasionaly voted for in the past was easy to recognize.  Guys like Jack Kemp advocating small government but a large defense and a strong stance against the Soviet Union was easy to say yes or no to versus the alternative offered up by the Dems.  The party of folks like George Will, who will always be considered by me to be the "oracle" of what the Republican Party was has now been replaced by fringe candidates who dropped out of high school to have a kid, own a bar and think they are qualified to understand complicated U.S. public policy but in reality are only talented at tweeting conspiracy theories or others who have a lust for media attention in spite of an academic pedigree (Yes I'm talking about Ted Cruz) or dancing Sarah Palin, is just sad.   
The other side has similar issues.  JFK wouldn

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 01:48:22 PM
This is where I really feel like a lack of empathy and understanding plays a huge role.

Just because there is a will, doesn't mean there is a way that doesn't jeopardize one's current status. For example, a single father of three school-age children is working two jobs, seven days a week at minimum wage to make ends meet. He gets no time off from either job. If he misses work, he doesn't get paid and risks getting laid off.

Voting happens every two years. Does he risk losing his job, his home, and his kids and take off work to get an ID that only benefits him once every two years?

This is far from an extreme case. People face these decisions every single day and have to weight what's more important.

I certainly understand that situation.  I came from a single parent household and lived in poverty through most of my childhood.  My mom never made any excuses she did what she had to do.  I

T200

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 02:00:15 PM
But clearly you're not. So not only do you not get to speak for us, you can't even speak hypothetically about what you would or would not do if you were one of us. You are blind to your own privilege.

I don't need you to tell me what I am capable of.

No one asked you to apologize for your success. It was never a topic.

Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. You see it, you address it and you deal with it until it is no longer a problem. My dad has heart problems. Should I tell him, "Daddy, just ignore it and it will go away???"

It's nice to feel that all Americans have equal opportunities for success. It just isn't true.
T

I agree with you there isn

Bob In PA

Quote from: Painter on April 05, 2021, 01:26:21 PM
I hear you, Bob. While not really comparable except for "... no longer serving its original purpose." it does cause me to reflect on the fact that I was once a strong supporter of the no longer recognizable and now disgusting Republican Party which began putrefying even before Pyschobaby.
Larry: Somehow, I missed seeing your post when originally written.   

Your post is very interesting. Do you mean... rather than taking the more likely path (i.e., migrating from a liberal youth toward a more conservative approach as you aged) you went in the reverse direction?

Was it a result of changed positions on specific issues, or just a general like/dislike of the candidates offered up by the two parties... or something else?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 01:58:47 PM
Tim: Time to start thinking outside the box.  The Social Security Administration could easily and cheaply issue a Voter ID Number to every person who has a Social Security Number.

With this number, it's one man, one vote.  You put your official Voter ID Number on your ballot and either mail it in or bring it to the polling cite and drop it into a box.

As for those who do not have a Social Security Number, the government should have Form SS-5 available at every post office (and over the Internet).  Even the underprivileged have a post office near them.

Bob

PS. It's just that simple.  Tim, the political class doesn't really want to solve problems.  They want to keep divisive issues "alive" because doing so gets them more campaign contributions.
Bob,

I didn't realize you were offering that as a potential solution. I like the Voter ID/SSAN use for mail-in/absentee ballots.

So what would be the process to request a voter ID? Will a new SSAN card be issued with the voter ID number on it as well? I think it should - one less thing to lose lol.

T200

Quote from: GiantsRevival2 on April 05, 2021, 02:05:58 PM
I certainly understand that situation.  I came from a single parent household and lived in poverty through most of my childhood.  My mom never made any excuses she did what she had to do.  I

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 02:06:27 PM
And you and the GOP are just fine if the "some that are excluded" are mostly minorities.  It's of course purely coincidental that the laws help you the GOP turn our democracy into an effective dictatorship where you get to rule. 

I advocate for every American to have equal and fair access to voting and you and the Georgia GOP clearly oppose that.  It's why I refer to the Georia GOP's effort to rob Americans of their right to vote-  the anti-voting rules
You are putting words in my mouth unfairly.

I too want every legal American of age to have an opportunity to vote.

At the same time though I

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 02:06:16 PM
Slugs,

My response was solely about "if there's a will, there's a way." It was in no way a comment on your character or to make any sort of assumption about you.

:ok:
understood!  And as always we are good lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk