News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

T minus 6

Started by Ed Vette, April 20, 2024, 07:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

The most important draft for the NY Giants in 20 years. It will determine the fate of this team for the next decade.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 20, 2024, 07:12:23 PMThe most important draft for the NY Giants in 20 years. It will determine the fate of this team for the next decade.
Ed: I don't believe that.

They have six picks. Unless you see them getting a world-beating WR in the first round and pulling a rabbit out of their hat by trading up to the very-high-2nd or low-1st for one of the QB "leftovers" (who then turns out to stun the football world by becoming a phenomenal star), there is no pivot point to make such a statement. All drafts are important, but IMO this one is no more important than any other.

It sounds like you think the decision to go QB or WR in round one (accompanied by the decision to trade up or not trade up for a QB) are pivotal. I think the odds are very long for that scenario. I might see it differently if they ALREADY HAD Pick Three, but the fact is that they lack the draft capital to trade up without giving up one of their few star (or near-star) players in addition to future picks (and they just can't afford to do that right now, IMO).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

I think it could be the most important draft in 20 years if they land a franchise QB who can lead this franchise for the next 15-plus years. If they don't, it could still be an impactful draft, but I'm not sure it will be the most important in two decades.

MightyGiants

You could argue the 2018 draft was the most important in the sense that the Giants drafted Barkley instead of Josh Allen.   Of course, we don't know what sort of QB Allen would have become if he had developed in the environment the Giants provided.

In terms of impactful drafts, most involved hits throughout the draft at much higher hit rates.  Rarely have such historic drafts been identified at the time they were made.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/06/2023-nfl-draft-greatest-classes-for-every-team
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 21, 2024, 05:47:48 AMI think it could be the most important draft in 20 years if they land a franchise QB who can lead this franchise for the next 15-plus years. If they don't, it could still be an impactful draft, but I'm not sure it will be the most important in two decades.
If they draft the wrong QB that could set them back another five years and impact the coaching staff. Then how do they replace that QB. If he is the right QB, it could be a decision that carries them to a championship. If they don't draft a QB, or one later in the draft, they will be tied to Jones for a year or even the length of his contract. Jones and Lock might be a picture definition of QB hell. The 2025 QB class may be just poor enough to let them hang on to Jones if he somehow wins 8-9 games this year. Then it might get into their heads that he's the guy.

The drafting of Eli while they had a good QB in Collins was a decision that impacted them for the life of his career.

All this may seem like a may this or could be that, however the scenarios are not outside the realm of actual possibilities.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 21, 2024, 07:15:06 AMYou could argue the 2018 draft was the most important in the sense that the Giants drafted Barkley instead of Josh Allen.

Rich: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're NOT saying it has become known that the Giants' choice that year was between Barkley & Josh Allen.  In conjunction with the original post by @Ed Vette  you are giving an example of how one key decision in a draft (espeically if it involves a QB as one of the options) could theoretically have made a huge difference to the Giants' fortunes (and in their overall performance since the year that decision was made).  Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 21, 2024, 09:48:31 AMRich: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're NOT saying it has become known that the Giants' choice that year was between Barkley & Josh Allen.  In conjunction with the original post by @Ed Vette  you are giving an example of how one key decision in a draft (espeically if it involves a QB as one of the options) could theoretically have made a huge difference to the Giants' fortunes (and in their overall performance since the year that decision was made).  Bob

Bob, I made my declaration with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.  I appreciate at the time the choice I illustrated was not the one being debated.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 21, 2024, 07:15:06 AMIn terms of impactful drafts, most involved hits throughout the draft at much higher hit rates.  Rarely have such historic drafts been identified at the time they were made.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/06/2023-nfl-draft-greatest-classes-for-every-team

Sadly, and I mean sadly, here's the conclusion about the Giants for those who don't want to look it up:

Despite their illustrious history, the Giants are without a signature draft class. Still, in 1956, New York found a Hall of Famer who inspired a documentary in linebacker Sam Huff. Huff, who earned enshrinement into the Hall of Fame, was arguably the most iconic defensive player of his era. Alongside Huff, the Giants also selected defensive end Jim Katcavage in the fourth round, who made two first-team All-Pro appearances and is credited with 92.5 unofficial sacks.

At least we have a handful of Super Bowl wins, but how sad is it that our favorite team has never nailed a draft in 100 YEARS of drafting?  Does anyone here want to be next-in-line after Schoen? lol

Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 21, 2024, 10:16:18 AMBob, I made my declaration with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.  I appreciate at the time the choice I illustrated was not the one being debated.

Rich: To my recollection, it indeed WAS for one of our members... the guy who started this thread!!! Bob

Ed Vette

T minus 4.
I can't believe you guys don't feel the significance and the excite level of this draft. Not since the 2018 draft. The impact? In 2018 the Giants still had Eli. In 2024, they are riding on Daniel Jones.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 21, 2024, 04:03:48 PMT minus 4.
I can't believe you guys don't feel the significance and the excite level of this draft. Not since the 2018 draft. The impact? In 2018 the Giants still had Eli. In 2024, they are riding on Daniel Jones.

Ed: I get it but IMO too many of us here view this year's draft in a QB-centric manner, while I personally tend to think the Giants will draft no QB at all. With only six picks (barring some move that lands us one or two extra) IMO it's at least highly doubtful they will even take one on day three. In summation, rather than getting excited, I'm "steeling" myself for the aftermath here if my prediction is correct.  ~X(  Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 21, 2024, 04:22:57 PMEd: I get it but IMO too many of us here view this year's draft in a QB-centric manner, while I personally tend to think the Giants will draft no QB at all. With only six picks (barring some move that lands us one or two extra) IMO it's at least highly doubtful they will even take one on day three. In summation, rather than getting excited, I'm "steeling" myself for the aftermath here if my prediction is correct.  ~X(  Bob
That's the point, the overall dynamic is something we haven't seen in quite some time. It parallels 2004 and 2018 but the importance mirrors 2004.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 21, 2024, 04:03:48 PMT minus 4.
It's significance won't be felt for at least two years. Whatever direction they take won't effect next season. They will struggle either way. If they pick a QB or trade up and that QB fails, it will hurt beyond 2025. If they pass on a QB and one who they could have gambled to get, someone past the first two, and that someone turns out to be a star, while the Giants languish in QB hell for years, this draft also will be looked at as an abysmal failure. Picking or not picking one of the three WR prospects will not effect the team nearly as much as the QB decision. Receivers just don't have close to the impact a QB has. But time will tell starting in 2025.

AYM

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 21, 2024, 10:16:42 AMSadly, and I mean sadly, here's the conclusion about the Giants for those who don't want to look it up:

Despite their illustrious history, the Giants are without a signature draft class. Still, in 1956, New York found a Hall of Famer who inspired a documentary in linebacker Sam Huff. Huff, who earned enshrinement into the Hall of Fame, was arguably the most iconic defensive player of his era. Alongside Huff, the Giants also selected defensive end Jim Katcavage in the fourth round, who made two first-team All-Pro appearances and is credited with 92.5 unofficial sacks.

At least we have a handful of Super Bowl wins, but how sad is it that our favorite team has never nailed a draft in 100 YEARS of drafting?  Does anyone here want to be next-in-line after Schoen? lol

Bob

I don't know if I agree with this. The 2007 draft directly caused the team to win the Superbowl as every single player heavily contributed.

Going back a couple of years, the 2005 draft was light on picks but gave us Brandon Jacobs, Corey Webster, and Justin Tuck. That was a monster draft too.

Bob In PA

Quote from: AYM on April 21, 2024, 06:42:40 PMI don't know if I agree with this. The 2007 draft directly caused the team to win the Superbowl as every single player heavily contributed.

Going back a couple of years, the 2005 draft was light on picks but gave us Brandon Jacobs, Corey Webster, and Justin Tuck. That was a monster draft too.

AY: Great observation. I can agree that that draft was pivotal in producing a championship. But before that draft IMO Giants were already 'over the hump' and just needed to make solid selections (which they did) without trying to his any home runs, in order to finish the job of putting a Super-Bowl-capable squad around Eli. Bob