News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will Drew Lock be the starting QB?

Started by MightyGiants, April 30, 2024, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Schoen has clearly indicated that there isn't a quarterback competition.  Yet, you have Garafolo suggesting Lock might be able to compete.  Will Lock be the starter or could there be a QB competition in camp?

https://twitter.com/awthentik/status/1785074659907584277

Now you have this:

Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy
Theres more smoke around Drew Lock being #Giants starting QB over Daniel Jones, after #Seahawks GM Jon Schneider's comments earlier

@MoveTheSticks
podcast: 'I believe Drew Lock has a really good shot of winning that job.'

'They were comparing Daniel Jones and Drew Lock — emphasis on Drew Lock — to the QBs that were going to be there (in the draft) and I think the line for them was Drake Maye.'

This runs VERY contradictory to what Joe Schoen is saying publicly about Daniel Jones. They havent even opened it up to competition yet. But privately?

Remember, Daniel Jeremiah was ahead of the curve on Giants not drafting JJ McCarthy, too

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1785357074852970740
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Let's put it this way: there's a huge financial incentive to the Giants for Lock to start over Jones. The prospect of Jones getting injured and his 2025 season becoming guaranteed has to factor into the Giants' plans for this upcoming season. And given his litany of prior injuries, it also has to be a significant (as opposed to merely theoretical) concern. It would not surprise me at all if Jones has an extremely short leash or "loses" a training camp battle to Lock.

MightyGiants

One of my favorite evaluators (especially of QBs) is Greg Cosell.  I found his reports for both Lock and Jones(both came out in the same draft)

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

Once again, I believe Jones' health with be the deciding factor, not head-to-head competition. 

Gmo11

I will say this about that clip:

There's not a lot of things that could have happened on draft day that would have made me mad.  Picking Nabers or Rome was fine with me.  I even warmed up to taking JJ at 6 if they loved him.  Trading down I also would have been totally fine with if like Mike says they wanted JJ but felt they could drop down a few spots and get him later. 

But.

If they had managed to trade all the way up to #2 and taken Drake Maye over Jayden Daniels I'd have about lost my damn mind.  I'm not any sort of expert but to my untrained eyes it would be an unconscionable decision on par with taking Jones at 6. 

Jolly Blue Giant

A couple of things I've read this past year:

1) Drake is DJ 2.0, except Drake was throwing to potential NFL receivers, whilst DJ was throwing to future doctors, surgeons, lawyers, nuclear engineers, and scientists

2) The tangibles between Drew Lock and JJ McCarthy are eerily similar, the intangibles, not so much

Regardless, I believe Daboll calls the shots concerning which players see the field. If Lock shows real substance and wows a few times during training, and DJ seems to struggle, I imagine Daboll puts in who he feels is the best of the two

If both show excellent form, throwing, aptitude, etc., or are both average looking, then I imagine DJ gets the nod because of his salary and starting experience
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 30, 2024, 02:00:22 PMA couple of things I've read this past year:

1) Drake is DJ 2.0, except Drake was throwing to potential NFL receivers, whilst DJ was throwing to future doctors, surgeons, lawyers, nuclear engineers, and scientists

2) The tangibles between Drew Lock and JJ McCarthy are eerily similar, the intangibles, not so much

Regardless, I believe Daboll calls the shots concerning which players see the field. If Lock shows real substance and wows a few times during training, and DJ seems to struggle, I imagine Daboll puts in who he feels is the best of the two

If both show excellent form, throwing, aptitude, etc., or are both average looking, then I imagine DJ gets the nod because of his salary and starting experience

I see the possibility for Lock in the same light you do, Ric
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uncle Mickey

New coaches or GM's that come in that inherit players they tend to treat those players as 'step-children'

At first sign of trouble they want to get rid of them. =))

Guys they bring in as FAs are like 'adopted children'

And guys they draft are like 'biological children'  =))

See how McAdoo treated Eli, TC with Kerry as couple examples of many.

That said, I still expect it to be Daniel but if Drew becomes Daboll's new 'pet project' it will be interesting if bias enters in the decision making process.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 30, 2024, 03:33:20 PMNew coaches or GM's that come in that inherit players they tend to treat those players as 'step-children'

At first sign of trouble they want to get rid of them. =))

Guys they bring in as FAs are like 'adopted children'

And guys they draft are like 'biological children'  =))

See how McAdoo treated Eli, TC with Kerry as couple examples of many.

That said, I still expect it to be Daniel but if Drew becomes Daboll's new 'pet project' it will be interesting if bias enters in the decision making process.

That might just be the best analogy I've ever read concerning the relationship between football players and coaches, LOL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

No chance they bench a healthy Jones in week one, no matter how disparate play is in camp and the preseason. They don't want to humiliate Jones, and they shouldn't want to. He's a very good guy, and he tried his hardest here. There is no reason to rub his nose in his own failure.

Do I think they'll keep him in for very long if he continues to play poorly though? No.

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 01:18:22 PMSchoen has clearly indicated that there isn't a quarterback competition.  Yet, you have Garafolo suggesting Lock might be able to compete.  Will Lock be the starter or could there be a QB competition in camp?

https://twitter.com/awthentik/status/1785074659907584277

Now you have this:

Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy
Theres more smoke around Drew Lock being #Giants starting QB over Daniel Jones, after #Seahawks GM Jon Schneider's comments earlier

@MoveTheSticks
podcast: 'I believe Drew Lock has a really good shot of winning that job.'

'They were comparing Daniel Jones and Drew Lock — emphasis on Drew Lock — to the QBs that were going to be there (in the draft) and I think the line for them was Drake Maye.'

This runs VERY contradictory to what Joe Schoen is saying publicly about Daniel Jones. They havent even opened it up to competition yet. But privately?

Remember, Daniel Jeremiah was ahead of the curve on Giants not drafting JJ McCarthy, too

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1785357074852970740
GM Schneider's claim was rebuked by Lock himself. He said the Giants told him they were bringing him in to be the backup.

I would suggest we don't pay any attention to the football media because we know they make up stories to get attention. We have never received a statement from Schoen and Daboll other than "Daniel Jones is our starter if healthy."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on April 30, 2024, 10:12:25 PMGM Schneider's claim was rebuked by Lock himself. He said the Giants told him they were bringing him in to be the backup.

I would suggest we don't pay any attention to the football media because we know they make up stories to get attention. We have never received a statement from Schoen and Daboll other than "Daniel Jones is our starter if healthy."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted,

For what it's worth, this my speculative view (I admit to no insider knowledge)

I think Schoen is being honest when he says his expectation is for Jones to be the starter.   

There are two instances where I can see that reality departing from the expectation.

1) If Jones is clearly struggling while Lock is playing lights out in training camp and the PS

2) If the team is realistically out of the playoffs by the half.  There is a sizeable injury guarantee (I think about $20 to $25 million) if Jones isn't physically able to start the 2025 season.   So, if the team is out of it, I could see the Giants benching Jones to protect the team from having to pay out the injury guarantee.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE